SATA3 6.0 Gb/s only for SSD?

I'm building a new gaming PC and would like to confirm I have all my connections right.

A SSD will benefit from a SATA3 6.0 Gb/s port, but an HDD and Blu-Ray drive only need SATA2 3.0 GB/s, is this correct?

Thanks,

Bwitz
6 answers Last reply
More about sata3
  1. There are HDD's with SATA3 out right now. And there are SATA2 SSD's out, which is becoming old news fast. If its SATA2 use SATA3 if you have some to spare, if its SATA3 use SATA3. Thats usually my build rule.
  2. Yes and no. No HD, SATA II or SATA III, can't pull data off the spinning platters at a rate anywhere near 3 GB/s ..... however, your HD cache is essentially a small SSD. So transfers back and forth from cache will in fact benefit from a 6 GB/s connection.

Is there something else ya wanna connect to that 2nd SATA III port ? If not, connect the SSD and HD to the SATA III ports.
  3. The motherboard I am looking at getting has 2x SATA3 plus another 4x SATA3 via controller, I could plug everything into SATA3's if I wanted.

I read somewhere that the 2x SATA3 would deliver better performance as they are part of the chipset, not a controller. Any truth to this?

Thanks
  4. I'll see if I can find the article again and post it.
  5. true, the two ports on the chipset are slightly better then those via the controller but not too much so, so doesn't make much difference, especially if your putting an HDD on them
  6. Great, thank you all for the information and advice. Very helpful.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards SSD Hard Drives Gaming