Sign in with
Your question

Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch BEFSR41 Problem

Last response: in Networking
June 2, 2010 11:24:28 PM

Here is the problem I have the router and modem connected and I have the Internet port of the modem connected to the back of the PC and I have the modem connected directly into one of the ports on the router. All of the lights are on for the modem and the power, port, and Internet lights are lit on the router. Down in the taskbar with the two PCs it says limited connectivity and I am not able to connect to the Internet when I try to go to a website I get the server not found page. I also have a PC running Windows XP I want to connect to the router using one of the ports.
June 3, 2010 7:14:06 AM

what's the model of your modem? and what's the model of the router?

1. if you can connect to the internet using ONLY the modem and not the router, then that's good for the 1st part

2. check if you have PPPoE(username and password) or DHCP authentication type in order to connect to internet

3.1 if you have a smart, gateway classification of modem,, configure it to bridge mode by accessing the GUI of modem. type 192.168.1.1(default) on webpage address bar and then tweak modem to bridge mode
3.1.1 if on the webpage, it displays page cannot be displayed, open command prompt then type in ipconfig. copy the ip adress on default gateway then type it on the webpage. after setting to bridge mode -> step 4

3.2 if you have a dumb modem and able to connect to the internet -> step 4

4 plug the modem on the wan port of the router. turn on the router. find the reset button on the router then press it for more than 1 minute while its turned ON -> step 5

5.1 try to connect to the internet. FINISH
5.2 if you cant connect ->step 6

6 go to command prompt if it is in vista/windows 7, click start - accessories - RIGHT click command prompt - open as administrator

7 at the command prompt type in ipconfig/release then wait for 1 minute

8 then type ipconfig/renew

9 try browsing -> FINISH
m
l
June 3, 2010 1:20:36 PM

My router is the Linksys Ethernet Cable/DSL Router with 4 Port switch. The model number is BEFSR41 version 4.3. The DSL modem is a CenturyLink 660 series model- EQ-660R ADSL Router.
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2010 1:48:04 PM

akoposiaj said:
what's the model of your modem? and what's the model of the router?

1. if you can connect to the internet using ONLY the modem and not the router, then that's good for the 1st part

2. check if you have PPPoE(username and password) or DHCP authentication type in order to connect to internet

3.1 if you have a smart, gateway classification of modem,, configure it to bridge mode by accessing the GUI of modem. type 192.168.1.1(default) on webpage address bar and then tweak modem to bridge mode
3.1.1 if on the webpage, it displays page cannot be displayed, open command prompt then type in ipconfig. copy the ip adress on default gateway then type it on the webpage. after setting to bridge mode -> step 4

3.2 if you have a dumb modem and able to connect to the internet -> step 4

4 plug the modem on the wan port of the router. turn on the router. find the reset button on the router then press it for more than 1 minute while its turned ON -> step 5

5.1 try to connect to the internet. FINISH
5.2 if you cant connect ->step 6

6 go to command prompt if it is in vista/windows 7, click start - accessories - RIGHT click command prompt - open as administrator

7 at the command prompt type in ipconfig/release then wait for 1 minute

8 then type ipconfig/renew

9 try browsing -> FINISH

I done the ipconfig /release on the computer that has Vista and the dsl modem connected to it. The IP address I got was 192.168.xxx.xxx, also the second computer I want to connect to the router that has Windows XP has an IP address of 192.168.xxx.xxx.
m
l
June 5, 2010 4:39:03 PM

BreedingtheSpawn said:
My router is the Linksys Ethernet Cable/DSL Router with 4 Port switch. The model number is BEFSR41 version 4.3. The DSL modem is a CenturyLink 660 series model- EQ-660R ADSL Router.

you dont need to install the linksys since you have already a modem router
m
l
June 5, 2010 4:43:36 PM

as long as the DSL/READY light in your modem is not blinking.. there must be a connection.. but if that light is blinking or red.. then we have a connection problem.. try plugging the modem directly to the phone jack if its plugged into a splitter.. and dont ever put a filter on it.. also, check all the telephone devices that's connected to a phone jack associated with the same dsl phone number that you are using.. if it doesnt have a filter, it may be causing the interferance of the flowing of the date in the modem..
m
l
June 6, 2010 8:23:12 AM

BreedingtheSpawn said:
Here is the problem I have the router and modem connected and I have the Internet port of the modem connected to the back of the PC and I have the modem connected directly into one of the ports on the router. All of the lights are on for the modem and the power, port, and Internet lights are lit on the router. Down in the taskbar with the two PCs it says limited connectivity and I am not able to connect to the Internet when I try to go to a website I get the server not found page. I also have a PC running Windows XP I want to connect to the router using one of the ports.

Something just doesn't sound right here...

If you connect the "Internet" port to the back of the PC, you will get Nothing!

Connect the only Ethernet port of the ADSL modem to the "Internet" port of the router.
Connect the PC to any of the available ports (numbered 1-4) of the router, #1 preferred as some routers will only allow configuration via port #1.

Turn it all on, wait for the ADSL router to authenticate with your ISP and enjoy internet on the now correctly connected PC.
m
l
!