Updating my Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kegga62

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I just ordered new Corsair TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x1024) Ram for my old Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard. As of now my ram is : Total Memory is : 3070MB 2 sticks are: Hynix Semiconductor 1024MB,667mhz(speed) 64bit
2 sticks are: Unknown, 512MB,667mhz(speed) 64bit. Last time I knew. Windows XP only supported 4GB of Ram. I have all the XP updates and was wondering if it supports more than 4GB. now ? Also when I get the new Ram. Do I have to do anything besides install the new ram sticks into my motherboard ?

Solution
windows 32 bit only supports up to 4GB (updates wont change this) but you actually get about 3.27GB available, some people get 3.5GB. depends on the system. if you have the 64 bit version of windows xp it can use the whole amount.

when you get them you only need to plug them in. while the system is off (as in unplugged). plug them in snugly and make sure the retaining clips on either side are holding the sticks of ram. boot and your computer should show them in the post screen, or more appropriately the size of the total ram in MB possibly KB if your mobo is old enough.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
windows 32 bit only supports up to 4GB (updates wont change this) but you actually get about 3.27GB available, some people get 3.5GB. depends on the system. if you have the 64 bit version of windows xp it can use the whole amount.

when you get them you only need to plug them in. while the system is off (as in unplugged). plug them in snugly and make sure the retaining clips on either side are holding the sticks of ram. boot and your computer should show them in the post screen, or more appropriately the size of the total ram in MB possibly KB if your mobo is old enough.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.