Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my cpu (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz Model 15, Stepping

Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2011 10:48:46 AM

Hello, I'm not sure which CPU to upgrade to, i.e., I just want it fast enough to "future-proof" it. Nothing radical just options. I do very mild gaming but enjoy high def media and a dear-hearted, very impatient wife. Thanks you guys.
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2011 10:58:12 AM

Just a CPU upgrade means you want to stick with your motherboard, am I correct? That will mean you are still looking at LGA775, making you lucky in the sense that this equipment has been tested and tested and retested over and over again.

I have the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (2.66GHz, improved architecture over the Q6600 if I'm not mistaken), and it performs well. You want something a bit faster, and seeing as how you don't do hardcore gaming, why don't you just get a bit better cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + and overclock your current CPU a bit? You'll save LOADS of cash, and still gain the performance you normally would.
m
l
March 3, 2011 11:16:33 AM

You know, I tried to overclock it once with some application I got from the manufacturer and it not only froze up my machine, but made it really difficult to restart and frankly, scared me almost to death. One click wonder and all that. Yeah, I want stability and reliability more than anything, but the damn thing still hangs up sometimes and I'm currently looking at maxing out the ram (up to 16gigs) in an attempt to minimize that. Plus, I want skype to stream like I see on the news and google earth to zoom like that too. Am I asking too much with my mobo and all? Do I need a $10,000 machine to get all that? Thanks for your reply. I DO need help with this stuff.
m
l
Related resources
!