Graphics card overkill

Matask

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Hi.

i am in the process of building a light gaming htpc.

I got a good deal on a i7 860 cpu and plan to put that in a mini itx motherboard from gigabyte along with 4 gigs of ram.

the thing is, my monitor which will be my tv runs at a max res at 720p.

since ill be running relatively low resolutions will there be any benefits in getting a highend gfx card say hd5850 as opposed to a hd5770 or even lower.

thx in advance.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Not hugely, but even at lower resolutions you still see gains from the GPU, just not as much as when you gme at higher resolutions.

Lower the res and the harder the CPU works. Thing is, GPU is more important then CPU, as i have a X2 4200+ Chip with a GTX465 and it still plays all the games out now pretty well @1600x XXX resolution (cant thing of it off hand)

But it all depends on the games you play and how much budget you have.

If its a tottally new build from sartch and monies a little tight, go the AMD route, as you get good preformance and at a good cost.

Matask

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Well thing is i already got the I7-860 because it fell on my lab..so kinda building the system around it

I'd probably split the difference and go for a GTX460, but for the time being, a 5770 would be fine for light gaming at that resolution. A 5850 would give you better performance for a longer time.