Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pci-e 1.0 and 2.1

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 11, 2010 1:27:19 PM

I have an P5kpl Am-Se with Pcie 1.0 , and i want to buy xfx 5670 with pcie 2.1

will this run smoothly? :) 
if not , there's a way to upgrade the pcie 1.0?


thanks :) 

More about : pci

October 11, 2010 1:56:48 PM

what kind of problem? :) 
thanks for reply
October 11, 2010 2:16:55 PM

so there's a way to upgrade PCIe 1.0 to 2.0? :3
Related resources
October 11, 2010 10:45:21 PM

the budget , nnow i'm just have a budget for that video card
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 7:08:39 AM

For the record dipankar, there is no such thing as a PCI-E 2.0 5000-series card. All 5000-series cards use a PCI-E 2.1 interface, which is PCI-E 2.0 compatible. That is official word directly from XFX itself in correspondence with me through their support channels. Any 5000-series card represented or advertised as a 2.0 interface is false.

Go to XFX's website and read the last line of the "Key Features" section:
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/HD%2050...

It is a PCI-E 2.1 card, not a 2.0. Read the descriptions of all their 5000-series cards and not once will you find one labeled PCI-E 2.0, but you can find some described as PCI-E 2.0 compatible.

Now, the problem with PCI-E 2.1 cards working in 1.x boards is not the fault of the cards, but the boards. It's stems from 1.x motherboards losing support prior to receiving BIOS updates enabling compatibility with PCI-E 2.1 cards, leaving them unable to recognize the cards and initialize them.

Alfathzz. That board is not ancient, and is still supported by ASUS. In fact, there was a BIOS update only a little over a month ago. You can find it here in the "Downloads" tab:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=xs6iinKxu0y5agcg

I believe any 5670 will work in that board due to how recently it was produced and it's ongoing support. However, as a precaution, I suggest contacting ASUS directly for compatibility concerns such as this.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 7:12:30 AM

RazberyBandit said:
For the record dipankar, there is no such thing as a PCI-E 2.0 5000-series card. All 5000-series cards use a PCI-E 2.1 interface, which is PCI-E 2.0 compatible. That is official word directly from XFX itself in correspondence with me through their support channels. Any 5000-series card represented or advertised as a 2.0 interface is false.

Go to XFX's website and read the last line of the "Key Features" section:
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/HD%2050...

It is a PCI-E 2.1 card, not a 2.0. Read the descriptions of all their 5000-series cards and not once will you find one labeled PCI-E 2.0, but you can find some described as PCI-E 2.0 compatible.

Now, the problem with PCI-E 2.1 cards working in 1.x boards is not the fault of the cards, but the boards. It's stems from 1.x motherboards losing support prior to receiving BIOS updates enabling compatibility with PCI-E 2.1 cards, leaving them unable to recognize the cards and initialize them.

Alfathzz. That board is not ancient, and is still supported by ASUS. In fact, there was a BIOS update only a little over a month ago. You can find it here in the "Downloads" tab:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=xs6iinKxu0y5agcg

I believe any 5670 will work in that board due to how recently it was produced and it's ongoing support. However, as a precaution, I suggest contacting ASUS directly for compatibility concerns such as this.

There are many PCIE 2.0 HD 5000 series cards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 7:17:37 AM

There seems to be a small amount of people having issues with 2.1 GPU's based on a PCI-e 1.0 slot. Ive never had this problem with the 3 boards ive worked with.

The only way you will know is to buy the card you want and just go with it :) 
October 12, 2010 12:34:57 PM

hey guys all , thanks for reply

i make an question to XFX , and this the reply



[ 10/10/2010 5:44:55 PM] I have an DDR2 Slot RAM , and i want to buy XFX 5670 512mb GDDR5 i want to know , will that stuck? DDR2 Slot Ram with GDDR5 VRAM?

[LUCKY 10/11/2010 3:12:36 AM] Hi, thanks for your message. What`s type vga memory has nothing to do with system RAM. So,there shouldn`t be problem you can have a graphic card which configured with GDDR2 VRAM run in your system with DDR2 system memory. Regards Lucky

[ 10/11/2010 1:47:33 PM] Thank you so much :)  but now i have last question , my moBoard is P5KPL-AM SE that support PCIe 1.0 . and XFX 5670 is with PCIe 2.1 , will it works perfectly?

[JEDY 10/12/2010 9:27:35 AM] Hi,Thanks for the update.this card can backward compatible with PCIE 1.0. thanks Jedy




what do u think? :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 1:15:29 PM

Quote:
Ha ha i myself use a 5850 from xfx pci express 2.0.


Actually if you go to ATI/AMDs site you can look up the original silicon specifications for the HD5850 and all other HD5000 series cards. All were designed to the PCI-E 2.1 specification. If you box or paperwork from XFX states that it is the PCI-E 2.0 specification then this is a miss print. This is a design of the chip and not the board, you cannot simply switch between the two as a manufacturer. It would cost more to design a 2.0 card as it would require extra materials.
October 12, 2010 1:23:03 PM

okay , but any sugestion for my next mobo?
sorry for my bad english , i'm indonesian
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 1:25:11 PM

Of course, mobo's with pci-e 2.0 crossfire support can be found cheap nowadays, like under 80$ cheap ;) 
But the 5670 is known to work, if any problems begin to happen be sure to tell the company the card belongs to.
Btw, what's your processor?

Edit: The 870's are cheap and usually have crossfire support. I got an MSI 870-G45 and it's a great overclocking board for 60$. The support was pretty good too with any questions I had. The newest 800's from MSI use military grade components, although it still uses the 770's gen.
October 12, 2010 1:32:51 PM

my processor is crappy Pentium D 3.5GHz :D 

okay i will take a look for that mobo's

thanks :) 
October 12, 2010 2:32:48 PM

hey , how about if a take this ASRock ConRoeXfire-eSATA2?
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 2:34:43 PM

alfathzz said:
my processor is crappy Pentium D 3.5GHz :D 

okay i will take a look for that mobo's

thanks :) 


I got a combo deal on a site called newegg, where I bought an athlon II and the 870-g45 for around 130-140$.
With the 5670 you shouldn't see many problems, but it depends on you if you want to go for the phenom II's whch are a bit more and are slightly better due to an L3 cache.
Mobo+cpu+ram = should equal out around 250$ with an AMD build.
I suggest 4gb(2x2) of ram btw, as it's the new standard for gamers, and the mobo allows for 1600MHz; or you can go for the 1333MHz ones.

Not that you have to go and look right away, I would wait to see how the 6700 series perform if they do come out this month.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 2:39:53 PM

Quote:
You are wrong i have seen many xfx 5850 with pci express 2.0 spec.


If I'm going to believe anything about Specs on a 5850 I'm going to belive ATI, the designer and maker of the card. XFX is likely just putting down 2.0 because it doesn't feel that the consumer knows the difference. However, the is a difference, all be it small as it is.

See:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 2:48:11 PM

Quote:
I wonder why Ati even used 2.1 spec considering there is no mobo supporting pci express 2.1.

I thought it was their way of advertising their cards as "futureproofing."
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 4:32:54 PM

deweycd: Thanks for backing up my information that 5000-series cards are in fact all PCI-E 2.1.

But, XFX never "puts down" that the card is 2.0. That is something retailers are inferring from specs on the XFX website that state "PCI-E 2.0 compatible" instead of just stating the actual interface. Considering that 2.1 was designed to be completely 2.0 compatible, I don't know why such 2.0 compatibility claims are made at all. And XFX cards aren't the only ones being touted as 2.0 by retailers.

Tamz_msc said:
There are many PCIE 2.0 HD 5000 series cards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Quote:
Ha ha i myself use a 5850 from xfx pci express 2.0.
I hope you two are now satisfied that all 5000-series cards are PCI-E 2.1, just like I said.

alfathzz: ASUS's websites give me fits. The US website is worthless as it doesn't list any products that are typically more than a year old. The ASUS Global site shows older products, but there's an issue with the P5KPL models shown there - There is no P5KPL AM-SE model listed at all. I know it exists, as it can still be found as an inactive item at Newegg and TigerDirect. Their pics clearly show the model number as P5KPL AM SE. The closest ASUS comes to that model is the P5KPL-AM, and that board's link is the one I used last night. Today, that link leads to the ASUS mainpage as if the product doesn't exist.

I suggest you contact ASUS directly to see if they know if 5000-series cards will work in your board, as well as ask them where to obtain BIOS & Driver updates for it since their website doesn't actually have any information for that particular model board. If they say 5000-series cards won't work, consider picking-up a 4670 or an nVIDIA GT240 instead.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 5:39:02 PM

RazberyBandit said:
deweycd: Thanks for backing up my information that 5000-series cards are in fact all PCI-E 2.1.

But, XFX never "puts down" that the card is 2.0. That is something retailers are inferring from specs on the XFX website that state "PCI-E 2.0 compatible" instead of just stating the actual interface. Considering that 2.1 was designed to be completely 2.0 compatible, I don't know why such 2.0 compatibility claims are made at all. And XFX cards aren't the only ones being touted as 2.0 by retailers.

I hope you two are now satisfied that all 5000-series cards are PCI-E 2.1, just like I said.

alfathzz: ASUS's websites give me fits. The US website is worthless as it doesn't list any products that are typically more than a year old. The ASUS Global site shows older products, but there's an issue with the P5KPL models shown there - There is no P5KPL AM-SE model listed at all. I know it exists, as it can still be found as an inactive item at Newegg and TigerDirect. Their pics clearly show the model number as P5KPL AM SE. The closest ASUS comes to that model is the P5KPL-AM, and that board's link is the one I used last night. Today, that link leads to the ASUS mainpage as if the product doesn't exist.

I suggest you contact ASUS directly to see if they know if 5000-series cards will work in your board, as well as ask them where to obtain BIOS & Driver updates for it since their website doesn't actually have any information for that particular model board. If they say 5000-series cards won't work, consider picking-up a 4670 or an nVIDIA GT240 instead.


Glad I could help.
!