Battlereport for Cluster Discovery 30 at Rcworld Universe

Anyone who wants to (that means you, Ricki and whoever it is that
maintains Cornrelius) can use this Article.

I had joined Cluster Discovery 30 at RCWorld for two reasons: I had
grown
fond of the Birds and their sneakyness in a game at Navgap and
secondly, I
had had a quarrel with "Jim Theguy" in the alt.games.vga-planets
newsgroup,
who had picked the Borg in that game.

As always, I used no other tools then Winplan and Tanascius, so this
is all
from my memory.
Addons in use were Starbase+ and Race+ and the winner should be the
race with the hightest score at turn 80.

The game used the standard map and I started on planet #2, which is
roughly
in the middle in east-west direction and about 300 lys above the
southern
edge of the map.

Very early on (around turn 6 or 7) there were explosions in the middle
of
the map, with the Fascists blowing up Colony ships, which where soon
after
followed by Kitties/Novas and Golems/Automas, around 700 lys west of
my HW.
Also in the first turns there was a visiting Empire Probe.
At that time I had just discovered a few artic planets with good
natives and
contacted them Tholians with an ingame message, asking for an Onyx.
His answer was in a way that suggested that an Onyx is by far the best
ship
in the known universe and should net him at least a mark8 Resolute. He
signed the ingame message with his name and it rang a bell. A short
check
showed him to be the Crystal from Lost Tribes II.

So I sent him this E-Mail:
-------------------------------
hiho, still remember me? i was the obnoxious fed player in lost tribes
of the echo cluster II at the lair.

i didnt like your attitude then and i still dislike it. you probably
want 3 mark 8 darkwings and resolutes for a puny onxy, dont you?

so, if you want to keep your crystalline heads on your crystalline
shoulders, better stay far away from anywhere near me.
-------------------------------

his answer:
-------------------------------
Ah Mathias.....That is not a way to work on a ship deal..shame shame
shame....That game is in the past, I am now playing my primary
race...I
think it
is you that should probably tread lightly.
-------------------------------

I replied to him that he should be the one treading lightly, this was
his
response:

-------------------------------
HAHAHAHAHAHA, Big talk this early in the game....
-------------------------------

Too bad that he flew a Ruby of his in the sensor range of a Swifty of
mine a
few turns after that...
I had also contacted the Fed player, asking for an alliance that would
lead
to me building huge numbers of darkwing hulls for him to refit, but he
never
responded positively.
Around turn 15, the Empire player dropped out, with one swifty already
sensor sweeping his planets and two Resolutes and one Darkwing on
their way.

So, my basic strategy for the midgame was more or less the following:
-Help the Robots to keep the Fed in check (a Resolute was just nearing
the
first robotic minefields).
-Make a borderline with the Fascists, help them where I can versus the
Borg.
-Take the empire HW and settle the whole territory to the east.
-A NAP with the Borg until turn 45.
-Take out the Crystals.

A few turns before the Shiplimit hit (which was quite late) I captured
Empire Probe and decided to clone it as many times as possible. Since
taxed my natives to the verge of rioting, I had quite a lot of money
leftover, which I donated to a good cause: The Bots got 10 000mc to
slow
down the Fed approach and the Fascists got 19 000 mc to use in their
fight
versus the Borg (they had killed the Colonies quite quickly, capturing
two
cobols and even a Virgo).

I destroyed the Empire HW at the cost of two Resolutes and surrendered
a "HHH" Super Star Carrier I found nearby a few turns later. Two large
deeps and quite a few good planets completed the Empire booty. Since
those planets were really far off from my own HW, I traded a Swifty of
mine and some (pretty useless) information about the Fascits to the
Borg for 2600 clans (i.e. a super deep of mine that he filled up).

Friendly talking with the Fascists and sheer logic (if he didn't think
a warp5 Cobol was worth cloning, why not give it to me?) reaped me a
Cobol, which was moved into the direction of Crystal territory, where
the first Resolute was stuck in webs. A second Resolute and the first
Darkwing to arrive could not prevent its complete draining, but the
turn after it ran dry, two Darkwings made it through a few years of
webs to the stranded Resolute and promtly destroyed the Diamond Flame
that had come to get it.
Right at the borderline to the Crystals I had three fat fuel planets,
which eased the task of supplying about a dozend Darkwings (most had
mark8 and all had at least heavy blasters) and handfull of Resolutes
quite a bit.
A good 20 turns of hitting webs, sweeping in warpwells and towing
ships from orbit to their death later, I had split his empire apart
and was just in the last web before his HW.

A few turns earlier two unlucky Privateer ships had hit webs and two
more had arrived in orbit of planets of mine. I was at my friendliest,
negotiated a borderline (which was pretty favourable for the Privs,
considering that I had done all the work in dimishing the Crystals)
and even refuelled his ships for free.

I had brought a Darkwing to the Robot HW and with the smallest bit of
cooperation, the Bots could have saved their HW from Fed forces, but
instead he just ignored my E-Mails, skipped a few turns and dropped
out shortly after.

At this time of the game, there were three huge ion storms drifting
around, one in the Lizard/Borg/Fascist area, one covering what the Fed
had gained from the Bots and one which had formed in my territory. The
latter one moved north, thus right towards the Crystals.

I had negotiated 20 more turns of peace with the Borg, until I had
finished the Crystals off and could more clearly assert the threat
that came from the Feds.

My economy was in excellent shape, thanks to my Probes, a generous
amount of Bovinoids throughout my whole empire and a fleet of medium
deeps supplying every base within three turns of my hw with tech 10
components for Darkwings. I had also seized control of the queue and
built shitloads of Swifties with transwarps and good beams. At some
time I had even surpassed the Borgs in bases and things promised the
become interesting in the endgame.

And by god, I got a lot more than I had hoped for:
Suddenly, several Fed fleets with together 40-50 ships (a mix of
Kitties, Thors, Missouris and a few Novas) popped up, the Privs
attacked me and of course I had to attack the Borgs myself in the
east, to keep him occupied and from building too many bases.

The whole battleground with the Fed and Privs was covered by an ion
storm, which was pretty good for me, since the Privs were absolute
helpless in that and I blew up MBR after MBR with cloaked Darkwings
set to pe Privs.
I drew back my whole fleet of Darkwings and gave the FCs of my
minefields to the Crystals. The Darkwings were all resupplied with
torps, supplies and fuel and some 15 of them waited in orbit of my
best base, while the Resolutes were spying on the Fed battlegroups or
moving into place for some nice overlapping minefields. At turn 63 a
group of about 20 Fed ships had assembled and I trusted the feeling in
my gut that they would move this very turn. I laid some 200 mark8 with
a Resolute and the Base and all the Darkwings intercepted different
Fed ships. I really would have liked to see the Fed player's face,
when he got his rst. He had lost a few ships in my minefields, his
Nova had hit two mines and I blew his whole fleet up, without losing a
single ship. I even captured myself a Kitty and a Loki, which were
fuelless.
With special emphasis on this tactic (i.e. using cloaked intercept at
its fullest) i will soon write a Romulan guide and post it here.
The Fed moved in another 15 ships, which I destroyed with the same
means. In the West in the area below the former Robot HW I delayed
another big Fed fleet with my Resolute and my Darkwing and two
carriers I had surrendered from the Robots. Maxed out starbases there
also cost him heavily in ships and finally brought him to an
acceptance of the status quo there around turn 70.

In the east the Borg flung some four cubes at me, not daring to bring
in any Fireclouds. I let him gain some ground until I had enough
darkwings to kill all the cubes and retook all the planets he had
taken. I also took a few of his planets, but both of us seemed content
with killing other races and I had accepted pretty early in the game
that he would win, especially with the long time it took to get the
shiplimit filled.

In the very last turn I lost my first two Darkwings to the Feds, since
the ion storm there increased its level and took my shields down.
In the whole game, I had lost 9 Darkwings (2 to the Fed at turn 80, 6
to Borg cubes in order to destroy them and one in turn 79 to a Borg
cube when I tried to take out a planet) and 2 Automas (due to the fact
that I didnt get any supplies or fighters from the Bots) and some
smaller vessels, but had managed to sink 12161 kts (with ships that
is, my bases took out a lot more Fed ships).

At turn 80 I had 102 planets, 77 bases and 207 ships.

I just viewed the movie for the game and it seems that I had somewhat
false memories about the ion storms - there was only one big one, that
affected the fed frontier, the priv frontier and the crystal area all
on its own.

I am currently sitting on some shitty pc, that doesnt allow for any
right clicking, so I cant post a link to the movie for the game, feel
free to put a link to it into this report, if you wish.

Matthias

Hi Mathias a nice read. I liked that one. It only leaves open the
question of how and why you changed your attitude towards the
crystals. You mention that you gave him your minefileds in the late
game. And how he finally gave in that a sensible shiptrade in the
beginning would have been better for him... if he did so....
Do you think about sending this report to conrelius?
(www.conrelius.de)
It would fit in there perfectly and thus would not get lost in the
depths of this page?

rgronwald@hotmail.com (Kolgar) wrote in message news:<27879615.0405150324.22a50385@posting.google.com>...
> Hi Mathias a nice read. I liked that one. It only leaves open the
> question of how and why you changed your attitude towards the
> crystals. You mention that you gave him your minefileds in the late
> game. And how he finally gave in that a sensible shiptrade in the
> beginning would have been better for him... if he did so....
> Do you think about sending this report to conrelius?
> (www.conrelius.de)
> It would fit in there perfectly and thus would not get lost in the
> depths of this page?

Crystals admitted defeat in a private e-mail and asked for the codes.
Since I had moved all my ships out of his area (except a captured opal
and a quantam drive white falcon that is) and his actions could slow
down only the Privs, it made sense to me.

He never said anything about the shiptrade, but complained that having
bad luck is the story of his life. He never asked for any help or
advise and I also doubt that he even knew that he could have laid webs
with his starbases.
Are you reading this, David?

As I stated in the very first lines of the posting, everyone can use
the article for whatever he wishes.

Matthias

Yes, I am reading this...First off I was not defeated by you...came
close..but not defeated...at no time did I say that the Onyx was the best
ship in the game. You posted the replies as they went down..you did not
approach me with a reasonable trade, you simply came of with an attitude at
which I replied with one.

I made 2 mistakes...one was not keeping up with random FC code changes..had
I been doing that, you would not have gotten as far as you did. (Remember
bragging to a few others in the game about that?) why don't you post THOSE
messages?

Second, mistake..allying with the Feds/Borg/Privs to late in the game...I
NEVER at anytime admitted defeat to you, the codes you gave me were promptly
given to my allies...and if you will recall..I did not give you the codes
for my fields at ANY time. and I finished the game with my HW and all my
starbases and 11 ships intact. dunno how that qualifies as you beat me
unless it is in your own little egotistical world. Beating me means you
would have taken my HW...you failed to do that...you failed to take the
Starbase you had surrounded and beaten.

But the most important thing to me in that game is you DIDN'T win<G>

"Matthias Gietl" <timwisseman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
rgronwald@hotmail.com (Kolgar) wrote in message
> Hi Mathias a nice read. I liked that one. It only leaves open the
> question of how and why you changed your attitude towards the
> crystals. You mention that you gave him your minefileds in the late
> game. And how he finally gave in that a sensible shiptrade in the
> beginning would have been better for him... if he did so....
> Do you think about sending this report to conrelius?
> (www.conrelius.de)
> It would fit in there perfectly and thus would not get lost in the
> depths of this page?

Crystals admitted defeat in a private e-mail and asked for the codes.
Since I had moved all my ships out of his area (except a captured opal
and a quantam drive white falcon that is) and his actions could slow
down only the Privs, it made sense to me.

He never said anything about the shiptrade, but complained that having
bad luck is the story of his life. He never asked for any help or
advise and I also doubt that he even knew that he could have laid webs
with his starbases.
Are you reading this, David?

As I stated in the very first lines of the posting, everyone can use
the article for whatever he wishes.

Matthias

Sorry i did not want to starrt a personal flaming war here. I did not
want to stirr up wounds, be it from David nor from Matthias...

"David Epling" <cct1790@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Suvpc.8963$R41.4639@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> Yes, I am reading this...First off I was not defeated by you...came
> close..but not defeated...at no time did I say that the Onyx was the best
> ship in the game. You posted the replies as they went down..you did not
> approach me with a reasonable trade, you simply came of with an attitude at
> which I replied with one.
>
> I made 2 mistakes...one was not keeping up with random FC code changes..had
> I been doing that, you would not have gotten as far as you did. (Remember
> bragging to a few others in the game about that?) why don't you post THOSE
> messages?

You are just stupid. I NEVER even tried to match your FCs. I told the
others that you didnt change them (i knew due to superspy) but i never
ever sailed through your webs.

> Second, mistake..allying with the Feds/Borg/Privs to late in the game...I
> NEVER at anytime admitted defeat to you, the codes you gave me were promptly
> given to my allies...and if you will recall..I did not give you the codes
> for my fields at ANY time. and I finished the game with my HW and all my
> starbases and 11 ships intact. dunno how that qualifies as you beat me
> unless it is in your own little egotistical world. Beating me means you
> would have taken my HW...you failed to do that...you failed to take the
> Starbase you had surrounded and beaten.
>
> But the most important thing to me in that game is you DIDN'T win<G>

Lol. Just proves that you didnt learn one thing. I played alone for
the whole of the game and killed you and kept the other three top four
races at bay.

Matthias

Not your fault. Mathias has an Ego that is self inflated and simply needs to
let the rest of us know from time to time. He also has a bad sense of truth
as well.

Matthias Gietl schrieb:

> Anyone who wants to (that means you, Ricki and whoever it is that
> maintains Cornrelius) can use this Article.

That "whoever" being me I just put it up on Cornrelius.de

Noticing that there is need for discussion here, I would really like to
have another view of the issue in form of another report of the same game.
David Epling?
Jim Pratt, the Borg winner?

I understand Cornrelius to be the lair of wisdom, which does not
necessarily include the absolute truth.
But the closer I can get to that, the better.

Kai Rosenthal
--
www.cornrelius.de - the VGA Planets War Academy

Hehe i wondered about his post too, could for sure put in my five cent too
about it but who cares. everyone who must, surely know everything worth
knowing about him ... so just smile and lean back :)

Hiho

> Yes, you are always the best (like in the team-game I unknowingly joined,
> where in the "end" you alone seem to have been the 5in1-other team).

You dont refer to the teamgame he claimed to have 'won' due
purging another (allied) player to use a lousy exploit ?
(are there more of those out there ???)

* Christian G. Becker <cbecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Yes, you are always the best

Well, I've hosted some games where played against experienced
players ... ;-)

Regards, Heiko

* Christian G. Becker <cbecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Yes, you are always the best

Well, I've hosted some games where he played against experienced
players ... ;-)

Regards, Heiko

It does my heart good to see that my opinion of my self esteem challenged
Opponent is the only member of his fan club.

I am still learning the tricks of the game, My primary problems are figuring
out how to get the massive economy other players seem to get, and the
ability to make massive amounts of heavy warships. So I plan my defenses
accordingly.

Mathias early on sent that message he posted...My thoughts are if you are
proposing a ship trade you approach it diplomatically, not with the sarcasm
he approached me with. Initially I was not aware I was dealing with Mathias
at the time either. I thik I told him I would have been happy with a
cloaking minelayer. things went downhill from there. At that point I
realized I was dealing with Mathias and knew I was dealing with an
untrustworthy opponent. (I had dealt with Mathias in a previous game where
he approached me and I accepted an alliance, this was quite obviously before
I knew him....He backstabbed me in that alliance and it has been and you
only have to knife me once for me to permanently not trust you.)

Subsequently, I began to lay webmines heavily, The webmines kept him at bay
for a quite a while, but I had made a rookie mistake of not changing the
FC's every turn. By this time, I had been approached by the
Borg/Privateer/Fed players to ally with them against the Bird/Klingon (I
think there was another race as well in there, but I never saw them.)

Mathias laid seige to my southernmost Starbase, He never took it. He never
took ANY of my 7 starbases nor did he ever get to my Homeworld (or if he
did, he did nothing there while there). With the 1/5/6/7 Alliance, things
changed fast, primarily Mathias' aggressive attitude, Borg ships began
chunneling into the middle of webminefields and Mathias was on the run.

The game was scheduled to end at 80 turns. At that time, with the aid of a
Privateer provided MCBR, I began to successfully re-supply my starbases with
minerals to start laying minefields again.

Mathias was on the way down...if the game had gone another 20 turns...the
Birdies would have been Southern Fried Chicken and the 1/5/6/7 alliance
would have been the ons eating.

I know..coulda shoulda woulda...but the fact remains, Mathias survived
second place simply because the game was not open ended.

David Epling

thanks

"Heiko Schlenker" <hschlen@gmx.de> wrote in message
* David Epling <cct1790@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My primary problems are figuring out how to get the massive economy
> other players seem to get,

http://www.xs4all.nl/~donovan/strategy/bigguys.htm#Building
http://home.t-online.de/home/m.jacobi/planets.htm#planets

Regards, Heiko

David,

would you mind fleshing that report out a bit and mail it to me?
Then I'll gladly put it up.
At the moment it is a bit short and you are only negating Matthias
words, but not writing own ones.

Thanks in advance,

Kai
--
www.cornrelius.de - the VGA Planets War Academy

no offense, but it is not that important to me.

David Epling schrieb:

> no offense, but it is not that important to me.

None taken. I just hoped to get a new addition for my collection. ;-)

Kai
--

"Kai Rosenthal" wrote :

> David Epling schrieb:
>
> > no offense, but it is not that important to me.
>
> None taken. I just hoped to get a new addition for my collection. ;-)
>
> Kai
> --
> www.cornrelius.de - the VGA Planets War Academy

Check the Hall of Fame link at http://www.rcworld.de , there are reports