Computer Powers Off whilst playing Games

sakotius

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Hello There

My computer just powers off (like a power cut) in the middle of playing games (such as medal of honour) my specs are

2 HDD's (600gb, 1000gb)
1 Dual Layer DVD Drive
GeForce GTX 280
Intel Core 2 Quad q8200 @ 2.33ghz
4gb of DDR2 ram
AsRock G41C-S Mobo
500w PSU
Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2

I think this may be down to the PSU. I recently got this PoS repaired at a local computer shop and they fitted a new Mobo (the one that is listed) and since they did that, My computer has been Power Cutting in the middle of a game. If it comes down to the PSU then i am not returning to that computer shop because they obviously have no clue what they are doing :p

Thanks in Advance

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
You're probably right about the PSU but you might want to check the heat output of your GTX280.

Can you tell what brand the PSU is? A crappy 500W could cause the problem you list and replacing it with another crappy brand could end up doing the same.

Good luck!

sakotius

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

GTX 280 outputs around 80 - 85oC (which is hot, but normal for the 280) at full load. The PSU is a cheap brand so i am guessing it is really outputting around 400 - 450w :p I'm not going to All Computers for repairs again, Cheap ram, Cheap Mobo AND cheap PSU they have put in and ruined my gaming computer :L

The only thing i can say is that it was working fine before my old Moboi broke, So maybe this mobo requires more power than my old one?

Open up the case and take a look at the PSU, there should be a sticker on one side with a load table on it, post that table and the exact make and model of the unit if you can find it, that will help.

Also, PSUs age, their capacitors become less effective as they get used especially if they arent 105C capacitors, they age much faster as they get hot and the capacity of the unit drops as it gets older and the temp goes up so it may be nearing the end of its life span.

sakotius

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Nvidia drivers have a nice little function that tells you if you had thermal problems. it gets logged in the event viewer. Just go into event viewer and look for it. Check what the message is saying. It should be a critical error

I have no critical errors. Does that rule the GFX card out?

sakotius

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I opened up my case to discover that the idiots at All Computers have severed one of my PCI-E x8 Power Cables. I'll have top order a new one. Maybe that6s why it's shutting off. It's trying to use all the power of the graphics card, Finds the severed wire and Poof. The cable is held back together with a piece of plumbing tape -_- Are they serious!?!?! They couldn't just put a new one in??? :p

You have a severed power cable? Which color wires are cut? If any yellow wires are cut replace the unit ASAP, if one of them hits the side of the case or anything metallic it will short, if it shorts straight to ground it could overload and kill the PSU.

Unlikely. You find G41 chipsets in relatively simple entry level boards.