Sign in with
Your question

Video Card Problem MSI 5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2010 5:41:43 PM

Hello everybody,

A month ago I received a gift, a MSI R5770 Hawk, in order to use it I bought a PSU Coolermaster GX-550. After installation, it worked fine for a day. The computer shut it down by itself. After, I tried to power on the PC, but it didn't, not even the fan start to work. At the end I realise that when the Video Card was installed it didn't power on, but when I used the older card it was just fine. I tested the new card on a friend's PC, and the same thing.

I could change the card, I have now a new one, I'd like to install it, but I want to know where is the problem ir order to fix it, or it was just a bad card. or maybe my mobo can't work with this card, the PSU.........

My PC:
Intel C2D E7400
DG31PR
2x2 Gb DDR2 800Mhz
PSU coolermaster gx-550
2 hard drives.

I hope you can help me.

Regards

PD: sorry for my english, I hope you can understand it fine, I speak spanish.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 6:07:13 PM

The 5770 is a PCI-Express 2.1 card, you have a PCI-Express 1.0 slot.

2.1 cards don't work in 1.0 slots, at least not consistently. The problem is most likely due to that, although it could also be a bad GPU as well (you would confirm this by seeing what type of PCI-Express slot your friend has. If his is a 2.0 slot, and it still didn't work, then the GPU was bad. If he has a 1.0 slot like you, then it's most likely just that you have the 2.1 card/1.0 slot conflict)
m
l
a c 1411 U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 11:35:02 PM

If your mobo did not work with it it would not have done it for a day in the beginning! Definitely a bad card.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2010 12:47:31 AM

ok, thanks for helping.

So, if I want to give a try and test the new card in order to find out if its a compatibility issue? is there a posibility that the card can get burnt or something like that, or it just won't work but the card will be fine?
m
l
a c 1411 U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 12:52:57 AM

If it is the compatibility issue the card will not work period and should not get damaged in anyway.
m
l
!