Why is my PC running super hot

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
When i first got my pc i dont remember any of the cores ever going over 60c. Like i had to try to make it that hot same goes for my gpu

after i ran a stress test (prime95) i noticed that my pc heats up for any little thing.
I was running a disk check on my mass storage HDD so i decided to play Dragon Age while i waited. within minutes i noticed my cores were at 78/79c
my gpu 62c my TMPIN0 = 39c TMPIN1 = 73c TMPIN2 = 85c I got terrified and close my game. It took a while for my cores to go back down to 50c

Im not sure while my cpu is heating up so much, is out in the open has plenty to breathe nothing is on it.

I recently purchased 4gigs of ram a 2TB HDD and 3 fans could the ram and hdd be the reason why the pc heats up in general?

I also have liquid cooling Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

any suggestions? my pc is mayb 6months old now

thanks so much in advance

Solution
Umm gpus can go upto 100c so you shouldnt worry about that. Make sure there isnt any dust in the case and on the radiator of the cooler.

^A CPU is not the same as a GPU lol. Regardless, this statement is false. I would not recommend over 90*C in extreme conditions for a GPU. For a CPU, I would not recommend over 60-70*C in extreme conditions, depending on the CPU model.
I would recommend no more than 70-80*C for a CPU and 50-60*C for a CPU, depending on model. AMD comfort is 50*C full load.

So can I assume that it is not overclocked, there is no dust, the liquid cooling is on the CPU and it was "core temps" that you were looking at? If so, this is interesting.

Also interesting that you were getting 60*C without prime95 stress...
Umm gpus can go upto 100c so you shouldnt worry about that. Make sure there isnt any dust in the case and on the radiator of the cooler.

^A CPU is not the same as a GPU lol. Regardless, this statement is false. I would not recommend over 90*C in extreme conditions for a GPU. For a CPU, I would not recommend over 60-70*C in extreme conditions, depending on the CPU model.
I would recommend no more than 70-80*C for a CPU and 50-60*C for a CPU, depending on model. AMD comfort is 50*C full load.

So can I assume that it is not overclocked, there is no dust, the liquid cooling is on the CPU and it was "core temps" that you were looking at? If so, this is interesting.

Also interesting that you were getting 60*C without prime95 stress testing on liquid cooling. That is unexpectedly hot.

I recently purchased 4gigs of ram a 2TB HDD and 3 fans could the ram and hdd be the reason why the pc heats up in general?
Definitely not.

The only thing I can suggest at these temps is to reseat the water block on the CPU with new thermal compound making sure not to put on too much.

Solution

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
i think i read on some forums that it is possible to attach another fan to the radiator. Does that sound like a good idea? I notice that my rad also doesn't get as hot as it used to so im thinking its not working as much as it should/could mayb?

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

Its not overclocked and i used CPUID Hardware monitor. Also use speedfan

I edited my post a bit.

I don't have much experience with liquid cooling but if the radiator is not getting as hot as it used to... Maybe there is some kind of maintenance with the liquid cooling that needs to be done? New liquid? I don't know but it sounds like it's not cooling as well as it used to.

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, you can try to atach another fan to the radiator. It really is weird, watercooling and overheating without overclocking... Mabie your sensors got damaged or something ? :D :D Yes, it does sound ridiculous...

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
`my gpu 62c my TMPIN0 = 39c TMPIN1 = 73c TMPIN2 = 85c` Thats why i said that about the gpus. I know AMD cpus have lower max temps (~62c according to AMD for his CPU) that the intel ones. Now i noticed you are using speedfan and it reads wrong temps so try Core Temp,HWmonitor or Realtemp. Ive read that running two temp monitoring programs may couse them to show wrong temps, altough i havent noticed that with Everest, Coretemp and HWmonitor.

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
i use both mania, but I use HWmonitor over Speedfan. I dled and ran core temp... got the same readings as HWmonitor.... ima make the assumption and say theres something wrong with my cooler. I'll mount a fan on it but i kinda doubt thats gonna do anything... =(

ty guys

TRENDING THREADS