Your question

How to upgrade my system

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2010 5:39:21 PM

hi i have a build that I would like to upgrade, now this is the build that i have

core2quad Q8400

GTS 250 512mb

GIGABYTE® G41M-COMBO: G41 & ICH7 Chipset - Socket LGA775, 1333MHz FSB - Supports: Celeron, Pentium Dual Core & Core 2 Series motherboard

2 gb ddr 2 800 ram

thermaltake v4 black edition case

585 watt gigabyte odin power supply

now i was thinking of getting an hd 6870 graphics card, and another 2gb of RAM and a CPU cooler (coolermaster hyper 212+) to overclock

do you think thats a good idea? and i was wondering if i should use my gts 250 as a dedicated Physx card do you rather think I should sell it? any other suggestions?

More about : upgrade system

a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2010 6:14:19 PM

The Q8400 is another monster in its C2Q lineup thas good with OC'ing.

The only issue i see here is getting 2 GB of ram - you have one module and you want another module. The problem is that during manufacturing, ram stix are processed according to batches i.e: serial numbers, chip type, assembly line procedures, temps etc. so essentially getting another stick of ram means dif serial number, batch number and a minor timings misalignement. CPU-Z will report similar latencies but the dif in serial numbers causes the mobo to lag with data.

My opinion - get the above listed BUT get a dual channel kit for your mobo :)  800~1066MHz. It seems cheaper too as you can move the GPU+Cooelr to another build...pre sandy bridge ofcourse, tho i hear the HSF socket holes will be the same :) 

You can use the GTS250 as a PhsyX card but a review on tom's suggested that not all games take advantage of this feature...a handful do. Furthermore, you'd need a second PCI-E X16 slot that is capable of running electrically @ x4
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2010 6:18:54 PM

^ what just happened here?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2010 6:39:38 PM

I would keep the cpu - as Lutfij says, it's a beast but I would change out the mobo to GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-USB3P LGA 775 Intel P45 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard @ Newegg for $119 and the 212 plus cooler to go with it. Again, as Lutfij suggests I would get a new dual channel set of memory but you can get the DDR3 set for the new board just as cheap.
As far as the video cards go I don't believe you can mix an Nvidia chip on the 250 with the AMD chip on the 6870 and have them work in any type of CFX or SLI. The new board will run two X16's at 8X's so you might want to look at an Nvidia chipped second card like ASUS ENGTS450 DIRECTCU/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card for $99 after MIR @ Newegg. You might want to increase your psu if you're going to run in SLI mode also. But you can get the new card to start with and when you get some more cash you can get a better psu and run both cards if you want. Sorry I didn't see a budget so It's probably more than you were looking for and advise is free.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2010 6:57:33 PM

Quote:
As far as the video cards go I don't believe you can mix an Nvidia chip on the 250 with the AMD chip on the 6870 and have them work in any type of CFX or SLI.
its called a driver hack, Tom's did it, and i also have a thread for it.

FYI - exhail lives in south africa...parts are either rare or overpriced. Your solution would eventually result in an overhaul with the amount he'd have to spend.

Nvidia chipped SLi boards have always been buggy, from the CPU Oc'ing to the network interface traffic. So i tell evryone to stay away from them...Tom's thread's have people who've made that mistake unknowingly. Intels X58 +P55 were successful ventures into SLi+PhsyX.
m
l
December 7, 2010 6:11:21 AM

I think another motherboard would be a bit of a waste as im not going to crossfire in the future and I decided im going to sell my gts 250, Im not going for the gts 450 either as its not much of an improvement over my current card.... hd 6870 looks good, but im wondering if I should go for a gtx 470? as im only using a single card in this system and the gtx 470 is a better card if your not going to add a second card in the future, problem is I dont like the gf100 cards they run too hot and draw a lot of power, but I heard the msi gtx 470 is a good gtx 470 as it runs 30% cooler than the reference card..... my other option would be an hd 5870 (as there is one on special that is just a little bit more expensive than the gtx 470, its about $60 more than the hd 6870)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2010 6:23:40 AM

Analysis: PhysX On Systems With AMD Graphics Cards

Quote:
I heard the msi gtx 470 is a good gtx 470 as it runs 30% cooler than the reference card
That is an advertised figure - FYI that heat taken away from the GPU (to keep the GPU chip cooler by 30%) means the heat is being dumped into your case...so your getting a 30% increase in internal case temps. The Nvidia GTX5xx series will be a better buy, eats less power, runs cooler than the 4xx's. but with a price tag.

since you have a 6870, adding a 5870(technically impossible to do a crossfire) will make your primary grafix card to run as a 5870. To crossfire, you need atleast a 6850 or exactly another 6870. Since ATi will come out with their 69xx series of cards, the 5870 will drop in prices...so my idea is, wait a bit...

can't wait until then? get the 5870

forgive us for being too blunt, but we're always thinking of the crossfire cos you mentioned,
Quote:
i was wondering if i should use my gts 250 as a dedicated Physx card
to run a dedicated PhsyX card - thas possible with 2PCI-E x16 slots: 1 for main GPU i.e: 5870 1 for GTS 250. Crossfire/SLi boards have 2~3 PCI-E x16/x8 slots thus our suggestions.
m
l
December 7, 2010 6:36:25 AM

Lutfij said:
Analysis: PhysX On Systems With AMD Graphics Cards

Quote:
I heard the msi gtx 470 is a good gtx 470 as it runs 30% cooler than the reference card
That is an advertised figure - FYI that heat taken away from the GPU (to keep the GPU chip cooler by 30%) means the heat is being dumped into your case...so your getting a 30% increase in internal case temps. The Nvidia GTX5xx series will be a better buy, eats less power, runs cooler than the 4xx's. but with a price tag.

since you have a 6870, adding a 5870(technically impossible to do a crossfire) will make your primary grafix card to run as a 5870. To crossfire, you need atleast a 6850 or exactly another 6870. Since ATi will come out with their 69xx series of cards, the 5870 will drop in prices...so my idea is, wait a bit...

forgive us for being too blunt, but we're always thinking of the crossfire cos you mentioned,
Quote:
i was wondering if i should use my gts 250 as a dedicated Physx card
to run a dedicated PhsyX card - thas possible with 2PCI-E x16 slots: 1 for main GPU i.e: 5870 1 for GTS 250. Crossfire/SLi boards have 2~3 PCI-E x16/x8 slots thus our suggestions.

I dont have an hd 6870, and I dont plan on crossfire as my motherboard does not support it, therefore im looking at the 3 cards (hd 6870, hd 5870 and gtx 470) to use as a single card, I think il go for the hd 5870 as its the best card out of the 3 and its not very power hungry and it does not run very hot
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2010 6:42:18 AM

Quote:
wait a bit...

You have my answer

then your not looking for using a dedicated PhsyX card?
m
l
December 7, 2010 6:50:51 AM

no, I dont really think its worth it as I have an offer for my gts 250 which is $55 so im going to sell it
m
l
December 7, 2010 6:53:26 AM

and price wont really drop any more as it dropped a lot on the hd 5870, as it is estimated the hd 6950 is about R3500, and at the moment I can get the hd 5870 for R2700, so I think thats decent, do you think the PSU should be fine? with an overclock on the CPU and a mild one on the GPU?
m
l
!