Your question

Best gaming grapics card without extra power

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 11, 2010 5:50:36 PM

Hello,
I know the question might seem weird, since graphics card for gaming almost always use extra power via the 6 or 8 pin cables, but since i started putting a computer with focus on temperatures and sound levels, i was wondering if there was a decent card without any auxiliary power needs, and if so, what?

I get that its sort of a strange question, but sound levels and heat is the focus of this build, and since Im still pretty new, i guessed that the best way to keep down heat was to reduce the power usage and with that, TDP, across the board.

Thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 6:02:14 PM

There are definitely cards available. The 5450 is a good example. Mind you, you're not going to get a lot of gaming power out of a card that doesn't have an external power requirement.

What games are you looking to play at what resolution?
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 11, 2010 6:03:57 PM

actually that is not the best way to keep down noise and heat. it just keeps down power usage. good fans and efficient GPU chips keep down noise and heat.

to answer your question, the ATI 5670 is the best card you can get without a need for auxiliary power.

the ATI 5750 & 5770, Nvidia GTS 450 & GTX 460 768mb all run cool and near silent. you can review benchmarks here.
temps
http://www.techspot.com/review/315-nvidia-palit-geforce...

fan noise
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Axle/GeForce_GTS_450...
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 11, 2010 6:19:24 PM

Thanks alot, i will look through the charts and make a decision from there.
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 11, 2010 6:35:50 PM

Quote:
I have some serious pain in one of my molars.Can you plz help me?

don't move, this won't hurt...me....one bit

a c 271 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 11, 2010 6:52:59 PM

Quote:
Oh! that was soooo painful.Should have used anesthesia.

Next time just mash your head up and down on the keyboard like some of the fanboys do when they're posting a rant. :whistle: 
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 6:59:05 PM

LOL
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 11, 2010 7:43:15 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Next time just mash your head up and down on the keyboard like some of the fanboys do when they're posting a rant. :whistle: 

note to self: need to pick up a new keyboard
!