How do TSA treat plain boxed processors?

shanno06

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hi,

I will be travelling out of the USA to Europe and I have to bring a CPU with me (i5-2500k).

I need advice on how I should approach this.

Should I put it in my hand luggage and risk it being inspected and confiscated?

Should I pack it in my suitcase and risk it being confiscated on that end?

Should I leave it in its packaging?

Im clueless!!

If you think about it logically, laptops have processors and they are okay but I suppose it depends if the Security person is going home to light a fire using stones and sticks or going home to an i7-980x gaming machine.

Im not sure if this is exactly relevant to the forum but I figure that the wealth of knowledge on here to do with CPU's, someone must have an idea!

Thanks in advance.

1) Let me assume that it is legal to import the cpu to your location in Europe.
2) TSA should have no issue with the box, it is light, the contents are visible, and they could open it if really necessary. Keep it in the packaging.
3) There is a possibility of theft if the box is out of your sight. Yes, it happens. I would put it in my carry on where I could keep an eye on it.

I'm really not sure what you mean by "plain boxed processor". It's either a retail box, or a cpu that comes on a tray or it may come in a clear plastic cpu holder a little bigger than the cpu.

I don't see why your so worried about it. It's no different than the camera, mp3 player or netbook that your packing in your carry on.