Sign in with
Your question

GT 430 Reviewed...New HTPC King?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2010 7:15:36 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3973/nvidias-geforce-gt-4...

After reading that, i come to the same conclusion as AT:
Quote:
But for the time being, NVIDIA has delivered an $80 card that is slower and offers inferior image quality compared to its competition – an unenviable position indeed. Only by 3D stereoscopy is it saved from being a flop, making the GT 430 a very significant gamble for NVIDIA. If it turns out that this isn’t a 3D Christmas then it’s not just going to be the CE companies that would be hurting.

3-D hasnt caught on much yet, so this card isnt really looking too great. Even CUDA with it was worse than a GT240. But atleast now Nvidia has a card at the low/HTPC end out, and something is better than nothing.

More about : 430 reviewed htpc king

a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2010 7:31:18 PM

If it has 8 ROPS (instead of 4), and could be paired with GDDR5 then it might be useful with some higher clocks. As it is, there is no point in choosing it over the 5570 or the slightly older GT 240
m
l
October 11, 2010 7:38:37 PM

megamanx00 said:
If it has 8 ROPS (instead of 4), and could be paired with GDDR5 then it might be useful with some higher clocks. As it is, there is no point in choosing it over the 5570 or the slightly older GT 240

Yeah, i was worried when i saw the chart and had it listed with 4 ROP :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 7:52:11 PM

that also shows that the 5570 ddr3 is better then the gt240 ddr3. the 5570 uses less power on load and is cooler at load then the gt430, aswell as better performance in most of the games. no idea who would buy this at $80, the 5670 is that much on newegg. this quote says it all.

'But for the time being, NVIDIA has delivered an $80 card that is slower and offers inferior image quality compared to its competition – an unenviable position indeed.'

i wonder if theres going to be a gt440, that could be the card needed by nvidia for the low end/htpc market.
m
l
October 11, 2010 7:57:03 PM

infernox_01 said:
that also shows that the 5570 ddr3 is better then the gt240 ddr3. the 5570 uses less power on load and is cooler at load then the gt430, aswell as better performance in most of the games. no idea who would buy this at $80, the 5670 is that much on newegg. this quote says it all.

'But for the time being, NVIDIA has delivered an $80 card that is slower and offers inferior image quality compared to its competition – an unenviable position indeed.'

i wonder if theres going to be a gt440, that could be the card needed by nvidia for the low end/htpc market.

I doubt it. Maybe with the 475, 495, 455, and all those other cards that could help bring life to fermi. I doubt it would be out in time to beat 6xxx low end though.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2010 8:00:54 PM

The card will end up selling for 60-65 dollars in 2 weeks, and does something no ATI card can do right now. Accelerate 3d Blu ray. Big deal its slower than the 5670 as a gamer card. Those sold for 100 dollars until recently where the gts 450 is a better deal and twice as fast.
For a htpc thats going to last you more than a year, why not future proof and get one that will do 3d, possibly to your big screen tv.
All the kids are going to be clamoring for the Toy stories in 3d eventually imho.
m
l
October 11, 2010 8:16:51 PM

notty22 said:
The card will end up selling for 60-65 dollars in 2 weeks, and does something no ATI card can do right now. Accelerate 3d Blu ray. Big deal its slower than the 5670 as a gamer card. Those sold for 100 dollars until recently where the gts 450 is a better deal and twice as fast.
For a htpc thats going to last you more than a year, why not future proof and get one that will do 3d, possibly to your big screen tv.
All the kids are going to be clamoring for the Toy stories in 3d eventually imho.

Oh, Its GOING to sell for 65$ in 2 weeks, 3D is GOING to take on eventually...well to be blunt, right NOW it sucks. Poorer image quality, worse CUDA performance, worse performance overall...not really seeing many selling points on this thing.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2010 8:45:04 PM

ares1214 said:
Oh, Its GOING to sell for 65$ in 2 weeks, 3D is GOING to take on eventually...well to be blunt, right NOW it sucks. Poorer image quality, worse CUDA performance, worse performance overall...not really seeing many selling points on this thing.

You better go back and read again . What are you basing your worse image quality comment on ? Worse than what ?
Quote:
In general, the GeForce GT 430 performed very well, despite the impression left by the 95/210 final score. Video resolution, film resolution, noise, scaling, resolution enhancement, and contrast enhancement are very well executed.

Quote:
The GeForce GT 430 is undeniably compelling for buyers looking for a combination of the following features: a small half-height profile, low power/temperature/noise characteristics, 3D Blu-ray support, and the ability to bitstream lossless audio through HDMI.

If you count yourself among the HTPC enthusiasts out there, you'll likely enjoy the GeForce GT 430's feature set. This is the only real product out there that addresses all of the aforementioned needs in one package, and for less than $100. In addition, the new GeForce can handle gaming at 720p, and can throw down 30 FPS or more, even in some very demanding game titles. Integrated graphics won’t come anywhere near this kind of performance.
m
l
October 11, 2010 9:06:49 PM

notty22 said:
You better go back and read again . What are you basing your worse image quality comment on ? Worse than what ?
Quote:
In general, the GeForce GT 430 performed very well, despite the impression left by the 95/210 final score. Video resolution, film resolution, noise, scaling, resolution enhancement, and contrast enhancement are very well executed.

Quote:
The GeForce GT 430 is undeniably compelling for buyers looking for a combination of the following features: a small half-height profile, low power/temperature/noise characteristics, 3D Blu-ray support, and the ability to bitstream lossless audio through HDMI.

If you count yourself among the HTPC enthusiasts out there, you'll likely enjoy the GeForce GT 430's feature set. This is the only real product out there that addresses all of the aforementioned needs in one package, and for less than $100. In addition, the new GeForce can handle gaming at 720p, and can throw down 30 FPS or more, even in some very demanding game titles. Integrated graphics won’t come anywhere near this kind of performance.

Thats toms review, im talking about AT.
Quote:
Rarely are we afforded the opportunity to give a straightforward answer, and this is not one of those opportunities. NVIDIA does some things well here while stumbling in other areas. So let’s start where they stumble: image quality. In the quest for the more perfect HTPC card we found the Radeon HD 5570 earlier this year, and it was good. In more recent times AMD has put a lot of effort in to stepping up their game on image quality with the release of the HQV 2 benchmark and it shows in our results.

We always hate to rely so much on a single benchmark, but at this point HQV 2 provides the best tests we can get our hands on, so we can’t ignore the results. Certainly the GT 430 is a step up from the likes of Intel’s GMA, however the Radeon 5570 has an even bigger advantage over the GT 430. If image quality absolutely matters to you, then the Radeon 5570 is definitely the card to get for the time being until NVIDIA can spend more time on improving the video capabilities of their drivers.

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2010 9:07:06 PM

If I had to guess Notty he's quoting from the Anand article like in his first post. I haven't read it yet so I don't know.

(surprise, surprise) I agree with Ares. And this does what exactly that other cards don't do? Decodes one more blu ray codec? Supports 3D something? They want me to go out and spend the big bucks buying a blu ray play, 3D screen, more glasses so the family can watch, and then buy a $80 card that performs worse then a GT240? (9600GT) Where is the 8800/9800GT card?

I'd like to also point out that I doubt the DDR5 version would be better. It is so weak on the inside that having more memory bandwidth isn't going to do much.
m
l
October 11, 2010 9:09:46 PM

4745454b said:
If I had to guess Notty he's quoting from the Anand article like in his first post. I haven't read it yet so I don't know.

(surprise, surprise) I agree with Ares. And this does what exactly that other cards don't do? Decodes one more blu ray codec? Supports 3D something? They want me to go out and spend the big bucks buying a blu ray play, 3D screen, more glasses so the family can watch, and then buy a $80 card that performs worse then a GT240? (9600GT) Where is the 8800/9800GT card?

I'd like to also point out that I doubt the DDR5 version would be better. It is so weak on the inside that having more memory bandwidth isn't going to do much.

We have a history of disagreeing? I wasnt aware... :lol:  In any event, yeah, its playing to about as wierd a niche as possible. Also a pretty small one. But im sure the faithful will buy it. Not only does it fail to impress against 55xx and 56xx, perhaps even more so it fails to impress against their last gen cards. Why are they releasing it?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2010 9:20:12 PM

In the comment sections Cleeve stated this
Quote:
What's really funny is that this review didn't compare GeForce GT 430 against any Radeons when it comes to video quality testing--we said we'd do that in the near future--yet somehow you read that we did..

my point stands.

Also ATI shipped the 5 series cards with massive 2d problems,
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2539...
Windows 7: Radeon HD 5000-Series Cards Lack 2D Acceleration
So if Nvidia launches a new card with beta drivers and its not quite polished, its not the first.
m
l
October 11, 2010 9:23:13 PM

notty22 said:
In the comment sections Cleeve stated this
Quote:
What's really funny is that this review didn't compare GeForce GT 430 against any Radeons when it comes to video quality testing--we said we'd do that in the near future--yet somehow you read that we did..

my point stands.

Your saying a poster saying there was a lack of evidence means the point is invalid? no...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2010 9:23:50 PM

I meant I'm picking on Nvidia/liking AMD. I know both yours and Notty's name, but I can't remember if we agree most of the time or not.

The niche is to small. Why should I buy this over the GT240? The GT240 performs the same in blu ray minus the one new codec. Supports 3D and CUDA. Bit streaming, probably comes in a half height, and more importantly games better. It lacks DX11 and I think the article said bit streaming in anything more then stereo, but seeing as I (and most people?) lack the receiver to bit stream anyways I'm not sure this is a big deal. The GT430 doesn't seem to offer much. Was really hoping for better then GT240 performance. Seeing as Nvidia had the time there is no reason why we shouldn't have that. More so if Anand is right and its not as good as the AMD cards visually.
m
l
October 11, 2010 9:28:23 PM

4745454b said:
I meant I'm picking on Nvidia/liking AMD. I know both yours and Notty's name, but I can't remember if we agree most of the time or not.

The niche is to small. Why should I buy this over the GT240? The GT240 performs the same in blu ray minus the one new codec. Supports 3D and CUDA. Bit streaming, probably comes in a half height, and more importantly games better. It lacks DX11 and I think the article said bit streaming in anything more then stereo, but seeing as I (and most people?) lack the receiver to bit stream anyways I'm not sure this is a big deal. The GT430 doesn't seem to offer much. Was really hoping for better then GT240 performance. Seeing as Nvidia had the time there is no reason why we shouldn't have that. More so if Anand is right and its not as good as the AMD cards visually.

Ah i see. Notty22 is the one who likes Nvidia, im the one who thinks fermi was a fail, and thinks AMD is on top, but not really liking them. Their drivers suck :lol:  But i agree. Notty, you just really dont want to admit that perhaps 1 nvidia card was a failiure do you?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2010 9:41:44 PM

No, not what I meant but that might be accurate.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2010 9:42:36 PM

ares1214 said:
Ah i see. Notty22 is the one who likes Nvidia, im the one who thinks fermi was a fail, and thinks AMD is on top, but not really liking them. Their drivers suck :lol:  But i agree. Notty, you just really dont want to admit that perhaps 1 nvidia card was a failiure do you?

Sure in the mind of a fanboy it would be called a failure. Its a redundant part for some. For others it serves a purpose, a price point with certain features. I know you can't grasp that.
edit:
The specifications it has , bitstream lossless HD audio and play 3D Blu-ray discs are reasons some Home theater enthusiasts have replaced expensive receivers and changed out blu ray players.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2010 10:12:59 PM

From the first page of the Hard review.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/11/galaxy_geforc...

Quote:
You will notice that the GeForce GT 430 reference design does not have an SLI bridge connector. That is because SLI is not supported with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 430. NVIDIA Surround gaming is not supported either. During our meeting, NVIDIA’s representatives reported that this video card is not intended to push enough pixels to support the very large surround gaming resolutions, so they opted to leave that feature out of this video card.

So much for stringing two together to get better performance.

Notty, so why should I buy this card over the GT240? Why should I buy it over the 5570?

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2010 10:35:12 PM

You do realize the gt240 has/had a msrp of 99 dollars.
First off this card is cheaper.
It features lossless audio@ 1.4 specification. I don't think most people watching hulu or divX would ever notice the difference and would not upgrade other htpc cards.
Its for everyone else and possibly people that want those couple high end features that usually only the audiophiles of home theater would care about.

I will not game with my htpc, don't like gaming with a television, so I won't ever need a double duty card.
m
l
October 12, 2010 12:26:10 AM

I do not understand why Nvidia insists on releasing cards like this
450 is underpowered on it's own easily surpassed by any middle rung video card

and the 430 beat by the 240 and everything AMD is offering this card stinks.

I do not understand. when making a HTPC why it has to be so increadibly underpowered all the time
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 12:45:54 AM

spentshells said:
I do not understand why Nvidia insists on releasing cards like this
450 is underpowered on it's own easily surpassed by any middle rung video card

and the 430 beat by the 240 and everything AMD is offering this card stinks.

I do not understand. when making a HTPC why it has to be so increadibly underpowered all the time

Wait a second think about your comment. Why does AMD cpu division make so many models of cpu that cost between 50-100.
I count 20+ at newegg right now? They are all variations of one cpu, with broken and disabled features mix and matched. Why wouldn't any sane person just spend the extra 45 dollars and buy the fully functional quad core with cache the 955 ?

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz
AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Callisto 3.3GHz
AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GH
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8G
AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GH
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GH
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto 3.1GH
AMD Phenom II X3 715 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz
AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM

Those are just the models between 82.00-100.00
WHY ?
The same reason why there are video cards with different price points.
m
l
October 12, 2010 12:51:08 AM

notty22 said:
Wait a second think about your comment. Why does AMD cpu division make so many models of cpu that cost between 50-100.
I count 20+ at newegg right now? They are all variations of one cpu, with broken and disabled features mix and matched. Why wouldn't any sane person just spend the extra 45 dollars and buy the fully functional quad core with cache the 955 ?

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz
AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Callisto 3.3GHz
AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GH
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8G
AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GH
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GH
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto 3.1GH
AMD Phenom II X3 715 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz
AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM

Those are just the models between 82.00-100.00
WHY ?
The same reason why there are video cards with different price points.

Theres a difference. If Intel sold the i3 540 for $79, there really wouldnt be a point for AMD to release these CPU's if they had time to think things out and make better ones.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 12:54:11 AM

Cheapest GT240 on newegg right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$90, $55 after MIR. Lets assume no rebate and call it $90 shipped. If we are going to ignore rebates however, there is this.

$86 shipped.

Cheapest GT430 on newegg right now, $87 shipped.

Cheapest 5570 on newegg right now, $76 shipped.

The GT430 is NOT cheaper. Perhaps it is where you live, but for us in the USA this is how it is. As I and others have said, not a bad card but NOT worth what you pay. I'll ask you again, why should I pay an extra $1-$10s more for the GT430? Because it will bitstream the audio found on 3D disks? Again, if I can afford to buy the screen, player, glasses, etc why would I be worried about some <$100 card?

The market the Nvidia is looking for is too small at this time. Eventually we will have 3D sets, and want a card like this, but not now. I see nothing in the GT430 that merits the price they want to charge. Not a bad card, just costs to much. More so when you consider that for most HTPC users the GT240 will perform just as good, is cheaper, and will allow you to play the occasional game better. If this card were priced $10 less then the GT240 I would think its a better deal.

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 12:57:03 AM

I agree with notty on the CPU side of things btw. AMD should remove many of their CPU offerings. Some with cache, some without, 2, 3, and 4 core CPUs. They even sell some at the same price with different features (620 and 630) just because the market they operate in is so small. They should seriously dump some of their models, make them more segmented.
m
l
October 12, 2010 12:59:50 AM

Who would spend $3000+ on a 3D setup, probably closer to $5000, and then buy a $80 card? And as for CPU's, its like intel lowering prices on the 930 to replace 920, and 950 to replace the 930. You can still buy the 920 and 930, its just the 950 offers the highest clock speed. Same thing between 620-640. 435-445. 550-560. I think choice isnt a problem. They are all good for different things, and the market is too small for them to expand much as far as more price differentiated.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 1:09:09 AM

But for AMD their market has shrank so much I feel they should get rid of some models. To many choices, to hard to remember what is faster then who, etc. Get rid of some lines and make it easy again.

This also somewhat applies here. If the GT2xx series was going away, then the GT430 makes more sense. But to keep them around only makes the GT430 look worse. You also have the issue of scaling. The GTS450 is a bit better then the GTS250 (9800GTX+) The GT430 is just under the GT240/9600GT? Where will your GT(S?)440 go? The GTS450 had 4 of the possible 8 Streaming Multiprocessors enabled, while the GT430 has 2. Will 3 be worth anything?
m
l
October 12, 2010 1:39:15 AM

4745454b said:
But for AMD their market has shrank so much I feel they should get rid of some models. To many choices, to hard to remember what is faster then who, etc. Get rid of some lines and make it easy again.

This also somewhat applies here. If the GT2xx series was going away, then the GT430 makes more sense. But to keep them around only makes the GT430 look worse. You also have the issue of scaling. The GTS450 is a bit better then the GTS250 (9800GTX+) The GT430 is just under the GT240/9600GT? Where will your GT(S?)440 go? The GTS450 had 4 of the possible 8 Streaming Multiprocessors enabled, while the GT430 has 2. Will 3 be worth anything?

Well, i dont think AMD can shrink things too much. Their triple cores offer best value, dual cores are cheapest, dual phenoms for gaming and unlocking, quads for just cheap quads. This is more like the X4 955 not really being better than the X4 9850, but releasing it anyway.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 2:04:03 AM

4745454b said:
If this card were priced $10 less then the GT240 I would think its a better deal.

I'll go along with that, in the UK the cheapest GT240 DDR3 is about £50 and the cheapest GT430 is listed at about £60, which is £25 to £30 too much IMHO given what the benchies show.
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:06:22 AM

forgive me perhaps I came off wrong

I was refering to the grunt of the device not so much price/performance
but at that price point it should be quite a bit better than it is.

m
l
October 12, 2010 2:10:09 AM

This was launched with beta drivers? Hmmm.....

This is junk, expensive junk at that, and totally useless in less than 6 months
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 2:11:14 AM

all i can say is YUCK. Too many low end cards that arent capable of gaming. Get rid of them and have 1 base model for all the basic bitstreaming, HD/blueray hardware acceleration etc, them make the next model up capable of gaming. Anything in between is a waste of space and money.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 2:16:19 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
This was launched with beta drivers? Hmmm.....

This is junk, expensive junk at that, and totally useless in less than 6 months

Exactly how I feel about the 5450 and 5570. And do any of them look like this ?
I bet these parts will perform better to, and let the paper boys and grandma experience some gpu overclocking.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/17081/msi_s_new_n430_gt_s...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_430...
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:18:29 AM

When were the 5450 and 5570 released?
Last stab effort before igps kick these worthless cards out?
Again, too little too late, plus bad scaling
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:20:57 AM

notty22 said:
Exactly how I feel about the 5450 and 5570. And do any of them look like this ?
I bet these parts will perform better to, and let the paper boys and grandma experience some gpu overclocking.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/17081/msi_s_new_n430_gt_s...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_430...
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_430/images/perfrel.gif

Might OC better. MSI always has the high OC'ers. Although once again, overclocking HTPC cards isnt common. Very niche product IMO. Fermi hasnt scaled well across the lineup. GF104 was beautiful, GF106 was par, this is sub-par.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 2:21:25 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:

Your not serious ?
You don't think AMD is going to be releasing some new crapola parts that now magically also support 3d ? That late argument is becoming a fanboy battle cry.
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:23:14 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:

I agree 100%. Below the 5670/5570, the performance is just so low, there isnt much usefullness IGP cant give. With IGP advancing, we likely wont see that sub market much more. AND @ Notty, if you feel the same way abou the 5570, and yet the 5570 beats the GT430 by 5%, that means you feel the same way about the GT430...?
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:25:58 AM

Who mentioned 3D?
You think ATI shouldnt do this?
Im refering to small cpus with better gfx than all the cards you mentioned, dont be so defensive about nVidia here
I wouldnt waste my time, nor recommend these cards, as spending 70-80 bucks at this point is a waste
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 2:26:05 AM

Actually no ATI has egg all over their face. The whole world is talking about 3d , movies, gaming devices from hand held to pc gaming rigs. AMD has nothing. Thats late.
edit:
The PS3 is talking about 3d, the nintedo DS, I remeber hearing about 3d when I was a little kid and its always been a tech we are not ready for. AMD one of the biggest graphics companies in the world has no 3d tech ? Why ?
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:30:29 AM

Again, being its a smaller market, yet an up and coming one, whats the rush?
Do we see killer igps from Intel yet?
Its taken them how long?

The 3D thing is ok, got your point
My point is, it costs too much for so little perf
Itll soon be obsolete
Theyre playing in a dead market, 3D or not
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:36:09 AM

notty22 said:
Actually no ATI has egg all over their face. The whole world is talking about 3d , movies, gaming devices from hand held to pc gaming rigs. AMD has nothing. Thats late.
edit:
The PS3 is talking about 3d, the nintedo DS, I remeber hearing about 3d when I was a little kid and its always been a tech we are not ready for. AMD one of the biggest graphics companies in the world has no 3d tech ? Why ?

Tiny market:

http://www.1up.com/news/2-percent-brits-plan-buying

And that doesnt even mean all will use a HTPC with it! Secondly, AMD released its card in september, and tesselation wasnt that big, 3D wasnt that big, and so on. Your saying their late? More like they are early. 6xxx has those features, and even thats early! Ya know, maybe looking at those benchmarks in 3D will make them look more imprssive...nah :lol: 
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:44:13 AM

And...? They can advertise it as much as they want! Its too expensive, not worth it IMO, pretty annoying, and has a miniscule market share!
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:45:29 AM

Itll be years before its a serious consideration

Just wait for the doctors and experts, after they get their studies done
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 2:49:21 AM

ares1214 said:
Tiny market:

http://www.1up.com/news/2-percent-brits-plan-buying

And that doesnt even mean all will use a HTPC with it! Secondly, AMD released its card in september, and tesselation wasnt that big, 3D wasnt that big, and so on. Your saying their late? More like they are early. 6xxx has those features, and even thats early! Ya know, maybe looking at those benchmarks in 3D will make them look more imprssive...nah :lol: 

Remove the words "percent of" from the first sentence of that article and it would be closer to the truth I reckon.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 2:51:21 AM

Anyone know what % of the HT market is 3D? We are just now getting LCDs into every home, I doubt 3D screens have took off yet. My guess would be <5%, and thats a high guess. Is notty really going to bitch at AMD for not supporting it yet?

AMD went with Eyefinity. A fine choice considering how cheap 19-22" LCD screens are. I'm not going to complain about AMD not supporting 3D, yet. (they better over time, sooner being better then later.) But for Nvidia to release this card and it scores lower then the 5570 in Anands visuals test, slower then the GT240 and 5570 in gaming tests, and its ONLY claim to fame is HDMI 1.4a? For that even though most of us can't use it we have to pay more for this card then others? Do you see what I've been trying to say now Notty?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 2:53:44 AM

I disagree MM. 3D sure does seem to be coming at this point. Been around forever and we've heard this before, but 3D seems more likely to hit now then ever before. (due to the LCDs we have now.) In time much of what we buy will be 3D, but its not time just yet.
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:54:32 AM

notty22 said:
edit:

Hmm... last time I checked, those 3D glasses,etc has been out for a while (esp. the nVidia ones), yet there is not much adoption? I wonder....

There is a good reason ATI hasn't jumped on the 3D Bandwagon yet. The market adoption of 3D isn't worth ATIs investment for 3D now. Current 3D Market rate is about 5-18% (various sources, different dates, no solid market numbers atm).

Quote:
AMD went with Eyefinity. A fine choice considering how cheap 19-22" LCD screens are.

+100. Now only if we could have LCDs without those bezels. I already have 3x 22" and 1x 30" (Dell IPS based). I'd love to run those with out those damn lines. I plan to rig something up for this with some 80/20 next year.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 2:56:15 AM

No because it at least offers something different from company A and it offers consumers a choice even if its the only card that can do 3d ,physX and cuda. It probably turns out more ppd in Folding at home than a 5770.
Second, what makes a card like this instantly more desirable is if it includes a copy of say the newest Power DvD that supports bluray / bluray 3d. Those incentives inevitably enter in to this market.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 2:57:06 AM

the consumer market does not want to sit in their living wearing sunglasses. in movie theaters, its an experience that is slowly dieing thanks to the outrageous price. even gamers have been telling Nvidia "no thanks".

want to see what happens to technology that has no consumer demand?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX_%28Digital_Video_Expr...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisk#In_popular_cultu...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Audio

m
l
!