Votes: 25 50.0%
  • Equal Problems with both

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • No problems with either

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Timop

Distinguished
I tried to set a custom resolution on a 8600GT and it made me had to almost reinstall Windows. Probably was the monitor though, and maybe windows acting cranky with age.

Other than that, the only drivers that really pissed me off was Intels.

Never had driver problems except finding S1 drivers for my PCI emergency card I got out of a dumpster. Have both Nvidia and ATI cards and usually it is the application (game) that is bugged and needs fixing with a patch.

ares1214

Splendid

Isnt there a warning for setting custom resolution? :lol:

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
I remember that I downloaded those faulty NVIDIA drivers version 196.75 that caused the fan to slow down too much.I tested it and suddenly the performance took a huge hit.I didn't know what was going on(NVIDIA hadn't said anything about it yet).The next day I came to know about the problem and immediately switched back to the previous drivers.No, my card wasn't fried.

But still, I would say that NVIDIA drivers are better.I don't even need to use driversweeper to uninstall and reinstall new drivers.I just install it over the old drivers and have never had a problem doing that for the last five years.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
There should be an option in the poll for people who have a Nvidia/AMD GPU but not the other, so how can we evaluate driver or there problems when we can only have 1 of the either boards in at a time?

is this based on ALL experiances of drivers? Previous years and present?

Bought a Nvidia 5200FX, back about 7 years ago and it worked perfectly for what i wanted it to do for college work and such.
Upgraded to a 9800pro and had MASSIVE issues with it, from getting non corrupt drivers to actually getting the card to work properly. Had 3 replacements and each one there own problem.

From this point on ive bought Nvidia and have recommend/worked with Nvidia GPU's for personal builds, or customers/friends builds.

Not slating Ati/AMD for this at all as it may well be sorted by now or was an problem i couldnt work out from my point of view at the time.

Things change, technologies change, companies change. Each has there advantages and disavantages.

@ reccy - i had/still have a 9800 pro in another computer, and never had an issue with it, or drivers.

I would say that people who know what they are doing generally dont have driver related problems that cant be fixed with either ATI/Nvidia. I remember when i first got my nvidia riva128 and couldnt play quake2 in opengl with the initial driver release. Was not happy at the time. But these days drivers are pretty good considering the amount of different games, system configurations, video cards. Its hard for any developer to get everything working 100%.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

The 9800 pro is an old card.I bet you do not update drivers like people who have modern cards do because you dont need to anyways.

The only problem that I had with my 9800 pro aiw was that it had very poor cooling that eventually killed the card. The power connector was crap and would loosen up after a week or two of use so it would get the warning screen. Drivers wise it was late in the game and the system was already old by the time that I had it. I remember back in my noob days when I got my first pci-e card that being an x300 well it was really bad since it wasn't compatible with my p4m890-m7-te board due to hypermemory so it sat for over a year before I for kicks tried it out on my then new board well it didn't mix well with vistsa when it sucked up a GB for hypermemory and wouldn't install drivers. My 2400 pro the drivers at first WERE terrible and also had to rebuild codecs which was hell as the system was for light gaming and movie use. It ruined one of my movies -.- Then a year later ATI dropped support entirely for it's older cards so my x1900xt won't be playing any thing modern so it got replaced with a 3870 which did it's job but it couldn't keep up very well with 4 instances of wow at once. So I for a month pulled my two 9800gt and did the sli hack on what is now my main rig. Getting sli to work on a ATI board was just to easy but it worked well and the scaling was very good. Now they are back ware they belong and a single gtx460 sits in their place.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
On Nvidia's side I had - Nvidia 4400, 5500, 8600gt all worked fine.
On AMD's side I had - 2600 pro, 5770 which worked fine as well.
Of course the 2600 was a tad shitty in my opinion, but I do love the performance the 5000 series gives on AMD's side.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I've had problems with both, found NVidia easier to install but went wonkey after a while. ATI a bit harder to install but you knew right away if there were going to be any problems. I would rather know upfront if my drivers are an issue.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Nowadays ive never had a problem with drivers or if they corrupt or anything like that. But back in the day of AMD Bartons and the such linked with a 9800Pro was like waiting for Bus to arrive in the desert. Pointless

ATI GPU's - Rage 3D and Rage Pro, Radeon 7000, Radeon 9800Pro
Nvidia GPU's - Riva TNT, Geforce2 MX400, Geforce4 MX4000, Geforce FX5200, Geforce 6800GS, Geforce 8800GT, GTX 460/465/470

fencer55

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
My HD 4870 won't operate properly using any catalyst driver past 10.1. It messes up Fallen Earth, and completely breaks Plants vs. Zombies. I've seen posts by other players in Fallen Earth with my card that are experiencing the same problem. I've never had any problems with Nvidia, whose cards I've bought regularly over the last 15 years, so I think Nvidia has better drivers.

ATI side

Mach 64, Rage pro, 7000, x300 se, x1900xt, 2400pro, 3870

Nvidia

Riva TNT, TNT2, geforce 256, geforce 4 4400, FX5200, 6800gt, 7600gs, 7900gs, 7900gtx duo, 8400gs, 8600gt, 8600gts, 8800gtx, 9800gt, gtx 460

S3

Trio 64

Trident

If you know either you are retro or just to old....

Cirrus Logic

Who knows who they are but I have had a few of those around.

3DFX

V3 2k, V3 3500tv with pod, V5 5500 agp

PowerVR

Kyro 2

Intel

I740 agp lol

Opti

Lol had them to :eek: but wish that my 486 rig didn't die on me as I wanted to game as it was in the DOS era for retro.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I had a TNT2 before getting a whole new system with a 9800xt, it was SUCH AN UPGRADE at that time.

HA! I remember getting UT 2k3 to run off of my TNT2, it ran at sub 640x800 resolution with the lowest settings. And even then, it didn't have enough memory to load all of the objects, so guns were invisible.

Lol that happened to me when I was stuck using a crappy HP that had only integrated igp that couldn't even play vice city without uber lag or the dreaded pop ins. Project 64 was even worse :whistle:

It used to be that we would not only adjust graphical settings, we adjusted the resolution based on what our system could handle. The max resolutions on CRT's weren't used often for gaming. I too played Unreal Tournament at some odd resolution of about 520x380.

I remember cranking it up to 1600x1200 to just see how crisp the game could look. Of course I got about 1 FPS, but it looked so good! :p I was playing the game with a TNT2 or Geforce 3. I don't recall exactly.

It is hard for me to compare as I've had only ATI recently (past few years) and have only had minor problems. I hope to get a 460 soon so I can experience and evaluate the 'awesomeness' of NVidia drivers for the games I play (which often aren't the newest).

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Just found a Voodoo GPU, OMG - The bloody thing is awfully light and seems fragile.. hahaha, how fast technology moves on is quite remarkable