First Build - Thoughts?

Hello! I'm a rank beginner at this, been reading a lot and am hoping to give building a system a try. If I fail, I figure I've wasted $700 on stupider things. :D

This will primarily be a home computer. I do some light gaming, but mainly stuff like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, etc. Otherwise it may do some occasional home video and photo editing. Most days, it will live a pretty easy life of surfing the net and running office applications. No need for a high power gaming rig here.

I like AMD chips, just for the performance to value. I think I want to stick with an x4 processor, just to keep things set up to take advantage of software that runs on 4 cores at some point in the future. I don't want to build something that will last 2-3 yrs, I'd like to get a decent run out of this machine.

I started looking at Athelons, but ended up finding some decent prices on the Phenom II processors so I went that way for right or wrong. Total cost is $714.

Any thoughts? Did I get to wild and crazy with the CPU/GPU given my use?

Antec Sonata $120
Phenom II X4 955 BE $150
Asus M4A89GTD 890GX $150
Corsair XMS3 4 GB $83
XFX Radeon HD 5770 $140
WD Black Caviar 500GB $55
Samsung TS-H663B DVD $16
2 answers Last reply
More about first build thoughts
  1. your overall system is fine.

I can see a number of places to trim some money, mostly in a less expensive case and motherboard, less expensive, but still good RAM.

The money saved by getting, say, AS Rock 870 Extreme 3 ($95 vs $150), G.Skill DDR3-1333 ($48 vs $83), saves $90 right there. Spend $50 for the 1075t at $200, and you have $40 left. Spend another $50 and you can get a HD6850, for $725 total cost.

The 870 has 8x/8x crossfire, meaning you could add a second 6850 down the road.

You could trim some down on the case/psu with the well-reviewed Xigmatek 502 500W 80+ Bronze PSU at $45, and a Rosewill challenger or destroyer case for $50, saving another $15 (which helps cover the costs of the 6850)
  2. Excellent feedback. Thanks! There are so many options out there, it can be tough to see where to cut the corners.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems