Sign in with
Your question

Creating a Reovery Disc for Custom Build ?

Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2010 11:16:56 PM

I've decided to buy parts for Custom PC Build . For now I've located Custom Shops to assemble .. Each time I ask for a Recovery Disk .. When I pick the PC up I'm told that a Custom Build can't create a Recovery Disk .. Then I'm informed that when in trouble return to shop for recovery . Is that my only option ? When I buy a ,HP, manufactured PC I get a recovery disc .. When in trouble w/ HP I'll do a System Recovery .. I pray I'm clear in my plea for visibility .. May I make a Back Up Disc , w/ Custom Build , for a System Recovery Disc .?.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2010 11:58:57 PM

There's no such thing as a "custom build recovery disk" what you should ask for is the actual windows disk you paid for.
If you buy windows 7 professional they have a pretty nice backup utility. Otherwise there's no such thing on a custom build PC. The HP and Dell recovery disks are created by HP and Dell. Custom PC's have no brand behind it.

MERX2006 said:
I've decided to buy parts for Custom PC Build . For now I've located Custom Shops to assemble .. Each time I ask for a Recovery Disk .. When I pick the PC up I'm told that a Custom Build can't create a Recovery Disk .. Then I'm informed that when in trouble return to shop for recovery . Is that my only option ? When I buy a ,HP, manufactured PC I get a recovery disc .. When in trouble w/ HP I'll do a System Recovery .. I pray I'm clear in my plea for visibility .. May I make a Back Up Disc , w/ Custom Build , for a System Recovery Disc .?.

m
l
December 7, 2010 12:28:37 AM

It appears ; forget about it in XP .. Accepted Answer .. In Windows 7 pro & ultimate a recovery Disc may be created .. Buy the way , the problem PC has intalled XP-PRO 32bit & I own the OEM XP disc .. Is it true that I may reinstall XP as if a recovery disc .?. Please , inform me .
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2010 1:06:56 AM

No, sorry you cannot use the XP as a recovery disk for 7. And I agree with xxsk8er101xx If you had a system built by professionals and you PAID for the Operating System as part of the deal you should get the OS disk. If you bought it as a prebuilt system then they use a system builders disk and you won't get it. Recovery disk are proprietary disks made by system manufacturers. You can but win 7 for $100 from many sites. Just make sure it's a stand alone and not an upgrade.
m
l
February 1, 2011 9:26:48 AM

This is Mr. Novice updating my info . I've a i950 build w/ a valid MSFT full windows 7 PRO 64 bit disk .. Additionally , I've a e8400 build w/ a full valid MSFT full XP-PRO 32 bit disk .. >>>>> If in trouble may I load disk to recover my PCs ? <<<<<
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 11:51:29 AM

Depending on what problem you are trying to solve. Each of the disks for each system has a recovery console built into the os disk. You might want to consider creating a boot disk. It will be helpful for booting or starting your operating system if something happens/corrupts your master boot file.

FOLLOW THIS link for win 7
XP is a little more complicated but follow THIS LINK - read through it - and follow the instructions from there. I'm not 100% sure but I believe you can use a cd or flash drive instead of the floppy if you don't have that drive installed. Just make sure your computer is set to boot to that drive when the need arises.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 12:51:39 PM

You can use outside software from 3rd parties to make disks. Acronis makes a system imagining software that will create a duplicate image of your hard drive. If you have the original install disks for the computers you can use the windows install disk for recovery, but the windows 7 disk will not work with XP and vice versa. If the system disks came preloaded on the drive than you will be in trouble if something happens to the hard drive they are on.
m
l
!