ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen3 won't post.

I recently completed a new build and everything was perfect for awhile. Tried to turn the PC on one morning and it didn't post, it hung on a 0x0D. I stripped it down and it posted fine. After a bit of trouble shooting I found that if I have my Microsoft Sidewinder X5 keyboard plugged into a USB 2.0 port, that is what hangs the MoBo. Plugged into USB 3.0 it's fine (but 3.0 doesn't have power until after system boot). I have an old IBM USB keyboard, and that does not hang the board. I've never had a stitch of problems with this keyboard before, so I can't help feeling that there's something strange going on with the board. Could it be drawing too much USB power during POST? It is fully backlit, but I don't have another backlit keyboard to test my theory. Any suggestions to try and sort it out?

My workaround is to leave the Sidewinder plugged into USB 3.0, and if I need to access BIOS or boot menu's I plug the old IBM into a FP USB 2.0 port. It works, but it's not how I want my brand new rig to behave.

Edit: Tried to put my build in my signature, but it didn't work... here's the details.

Cooler Master HAF 922 | Cooler Master Silent Pro M700W | ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 | i5 2500K @ 4.6 Ghz | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 | MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr III @ 900/1800 Mhz | Crucial M4 128 Gb Sata III SSD | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB Sata II HDD | Whatever I had lying around Optical Drive | Sidewinder X4/X5 Kb/Mouse
2 answers Last reply
More about asrock extreme gen3 post
  1. That's an anomaly in the ASRock Z67 MB's or the UEFI. There is a setting in the UEFI to change it to USB. I'm using a USB wireless mouse(USB) transmitter, and it works fine.
  2. It does sound like the keyboard is dragging down the USB 2.0 port, since it seems that you troubleshot this problem down pretty good. I'd try your keyboard on a different system to see if it does the same thing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards