Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Normal CPU temp?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 4, 2011 3:42:10 AM

i have amd athlon II 450 3.2 GHz. it is only running at about 70 degrees fahrenheit. i just got it up and running today. is this about a normal temp. i thought that seems a little low but not sure

More about : normal cpu temp

Best solution

a c 190 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 4, 2011 3:45:11 AM

Low temps are nothing to worry about, 70F is fine. Whats your ambient temp? ~60F?

Load temps are more important as high temp is what can damage a CPU not low temp, so load it up with 3 threads of prime 95 and see how hot it gets, it should stay below 60C.

Most temps in specs are listed in Celsius so it avoids confusion and potential scares if you always post your temp in C not F.
Related resources
a c 190 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 4, 2011 7:12:33 PM

And thats why i suggest always reporting your temps in Celcius.

All of the F's in his post should be C's otherwise the max temp of your CPU would be a bit above room temp which wouldnt make sense.
m
l
March 4, 2011 7:33:08 PM

Best answer selected by rajohns08.
m
l
March 4, 2011 7:33:23 PM

thanks for input guys very helpful
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2011 7:39:34 PM

The AMD Athlon II's run icy cold. I've built several for folks and they all ran close to room temps at idle and 40C or so under full Prime95 load.

The temps were sooo low as compared to the 70C (or 72C doesn't matter your not going to come even close to it) limit I didn't even bother to write 'em down......

And this is with the Stock Cooler.......

Now the Phenom II's are a whole different story. Mine run 35C--40C or so idle and they push right up to the 70C limit under load. Stock cooler on these is marginal at best.

m
l
March 4, 2011 8:22:22 PM

yeah i thought it was strange it was running around room temp but i guess thats good! thanks for info on normality of athlons running cold in specific ^
m
l
!