Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Motherboard/RAM Issue

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 7, 2011 2:00:20 PM

I have an Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard. I also have G. Skill 8GB RAM, Model# F3-12800CL8D-8GBECO. The RAM is on the qualified vendor list according to the Motherboard manual. The motherboard will not recognize all 8GB RAM, it only boots with one stick (4GB). What is causing this?
Any way I can get this fixed through the BIOS or an update? Help would be greatly appreciated.
I am also running i2600k CPU if that matters...
Thanks

More about : motherboard ram issue

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 7, 2011 2:22:42 PM

Which slots do you have the RAM plugged into?

Also, where is it only showing 4GB?
November 7, 2011 3:11:07 PM

I had the ram in the proper slots. The PC will boot up with one stick (4GB) in, but wont boot when all 8GB is in.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2011 3:12:07 PM

Which OP is installed?
November 7, 2011 3:16:57 PM

jemm said:
Which OP is installed?

Windows 7, 64bit
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 7, 2011 3:31:44 PM

If you switch the sticks, so the other 4GB stick is in. will it still boot? Or does it fail then also?
November 7, 2011 3:38:08 PM

itzdanielp said:
If you switch the sticks, so the other 4GB stick is in. will it still boot? Or does it fail then also?

It fails anytime there is 8GB in general. I've tried every slot and in every order. I wonder if I need to update my BIOS or what? Also, is there a settings in BIOS to maybe fix the issue? I'm hoping I dont have a faulty mobo or RAM
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 7, 2011 3:41:31 PM

What speed do you have the RAM set to in the BIOS?
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2011 3:45:44 PM

The memmory has the Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile), but your mobo isn´t on the G.Skill Qualified Motherboards List.
November 7, 2011 3:53:51 PM

jemm said:
The memmory has the Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile), but your mobo isn´t on the G.Skill Qualified Motherboards List.


But the RAM is in the motherboard manual qualified vendor list...
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 7, 2011 3:56:22 PM

All RAM will run, the qualified vendor list is just ones that are quaranteed to run at the advertised speed.

What speed do you have teh RAM set to in the bios?
November 7, 2011 3:57:43 PM

itzdanielp said:
All RAM will run, the qualified vendor list is just ones that are quaranteed to run at the advertised speed.

What speed do you have teh RAM set to in the bios?


I'm really new to PC gaming and the lingo that comes with it. I know how to access the BIOS, but do not know what speed its running at. Should I change the speed to match that of what is on the RAMs box?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 7, 2011 4:02:26 PM

No, go ahead and head into the BIOS, and check to make sure the RAM is running at 1333MHz, I know that is not what it is designed to run at. But it is the defualt / most stable.
November 7, 2011 4:06:10 PM

itzdanielp said:
No, go ahead and head into the BIOS, and check to make sure the RAM is running at 1333MHz, I know that is not what it is designed to run at. But it is the defualt / most stable.


OK so once I change the speed, then reboot and try the other stick to make it 8GB?
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2011 4:13:54 PM

Tweeder7 said:
But the RAM is in the motherboard manual qualified vendor list...


That´s good! So, why don´t you try the XMP profile? By selecting XMP the RAM speed, latencies, voltages, etc, all will be set automatically, according to the RAM spec.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 7, 2011 4:34:41 PM

Tweeder7 said:
OK so once I change the speed, then reboot and try the other stick to make it 8GB?


Yeah, see if that works.

And just to clarify.... assuming the DIMM (slot) next to the CPU is #1, put the sticks in slot 2 & 4
November 7, 2011 5:37:39 PM

jemm said:
That´s good! So, why don´t you try the XMP profile? By selecting XMP the RAM speed, latencies, voltages, etc, all will be set automatically, according to the RAM spec.

I tried setting it to XMP but that didn't help either.
November 7, 2011 5:39:59 PM

itzdanielp said:
Yeah, see if that works.

And just to clarify.... assuming the DIMM (slot) next to the CPU is #1, put the sticks in slot 2 & 4


No it did not work either. Not sure what the deal is. I've tried each RAM stick and they both work when only 4GB is in. So that tells me its not the RAM. I've tried one stick of RAM in every slot and that also works. So if the RAM works, the mobo works, just weird why it won't work with two sticks...I'm not sure what else to do....
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 7, 2011 5:43:26 PM

I'd call ASUS support and see what is going on. Also, try updating your BIOS from Asus's website.
!