[Request] Custom built upgradable gaming pc

numbawang

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date:december - january

Budget Range: 600-1000 canadian

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming!

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: (maybe)keyboard, mouse, speakers,)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: by brand or type Nvidia graphic card ( i heard they were the best)

Overclocking: Maybe- is it safe? possiblity of brick?

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe - is it better then a single graphic card?

Monitor Resolution: Not sure, but definitely over 1280 x 800 or even a non wide screen

Additional Comments: Hi! first time building a custom PC, with little to non knowledge, funded by parents and in need of assistance! No matter how many guides i read, i cant seem to understand the actual product name due to the misleading brands and numbers. As well as compatability between the two.

I also wonder if 32 - 64- bit matters because i heard some games only work for 32 bit? ( dungeon fighter - nexon)
If possible, I would like it to be as high end as possible and is able to be upgraded many times before the sad abandoning.

On the side note, is upgrading usually cheaper then rebuying?
Is putting the computer as easy as putting a cd on a harddrive after putting all the pieceses together?
Should I wait until january? I heard there was something new that could change the whole computer (aka rebuy) all together. Something called a Sandy?

Thanks in advance!

banthracis

Distinguished
Yes a new Intel CPU architecture is coming out in Jan called Sandy Bridge.

Overclocking is perfectly safe, though it does void warranty.

If that budget includes taxes, then you're looking a pretty much a $600 US build, which will limit you to AMD.

Upgrading is cheaper, but there's a point where something becomes outdated enough to not be worth upgrading.

whats "putting a computer?"

Best bet would be an Athlon II x3 and 6850 based system.