VGAP 3 vs. VGAP 4

So I'm curious....

Do most players in this newsgroup exclusively play VGAP 3 or do they play 4
too?

If they don't play 4, why not?

As for me, I am 3 only. I can't stand the VGAP 4 interface and find the game
too complicated. 3 has just the right balance of gameplay for me.

Any other comments from other players are encouraged.

Cheers,

Seann wrote:
> Do most players in this newsgroup exclusively play VGAP 3 or do they play 4
> too?
I play 3 only
> If they don't play 4, why not?
I tried siming a "4" game and got a headache

Jim

* Seann <smcpherson75@hotmail.ca> wrote:

> Do most players in this newsgroup exclusively play VGAP 3 or do
> they play 4 too?

VGAP 3

> If they don't play 4, why not?

- It's a different game.
- I don't like the user interface.
- It is not ready.

Regards, Heiko

Hiya Seann!
If this is thread in response to my intrusion about the v4 new races
survey - I apologise again! 8)

I, personally, don't play either v3 or v4. I mainly just "do" graphics for
aspiring new races for v4 and I'm trying to do some translation "stuff". I
think I'd be too confused playing either game and I don't really have a
"competative streak", or the time, either! I hope I'm neutral here?

I'm not really interested in "selling" v4 to any v3 players. I'm also not
bothered if v3 players don't want to migrate, if/when v4 goes "gold". That's
up to you guys? I am "promoting" v4 on my 2 main websites - but my intent is
to find _new_ players - not to poach v3 people - unless they want to.

I am, however, running an essentially unofficial Survey of v4 New 3rd Party
Races mainly on behalf of the creators of those races, and since I post
stuff on the yahoo VGAP-93 Mailing list - which seems (?) to be a mixed ML,
I thought I'd post here too?

My apologies for intruding - but this Survey _is_ open to v3 players if they
want to join in. I would like them to contribute constructive opinions on
this topic.

Cheers
--
Olly (Crayon-World guy)

sorry about the following "plugs" but I guess you might want to see "where
I'm coming from"?
New Races Survey site
http://mysite.freeserve.com/vgap4_stuff/pollingbooth/3rdpartyvote.htm
Crayon-World graphics site
http://www.twoflower.fsnet.co.uk/crayonworld/main/main.htm
VGAP4 International - translation site - still "embryonic"
http://mysite.freeserve.com/vgap4_stuff/alone/main.htm

"Seann" wrote

> So I'm curious....
>
> Do most players in this newsgroup exclusively play VGAP 3 or do they play
4
> too?
>
> If they don't play 4, why not?
>
> As for me, I am 3 only. I can't stand the VGAP 4 interface and find the
game
> too complicated. 3 has just the right balance of gameplay for me.
>
> Any other comments from other players are encouraged.
>

> Cheers,

Hi there!

Well, how to say it?

I really really loved V3 and still love it (again). As I got stuffed
with V3 a few years ago the V4 homepage introduced us to the new
features and I was soooooooo damn greedy for that game. Unfortunately it
took a bit long to get a playable beta (no offence to tim... it takes as
long as it needs, it was just not the right time to catch my hype... can
happen :) )

When beta was released I downloaded it with my poor 33.6 modem and found
myself in a djungle of options, rules, features, bugs (early days),
menues, interfaces, ...

I was not even able to set up a game first. When I found out how to do
it the next problem was how to build ships, planet improvements, how to
load ships and how to move those! The help files were not really helpful
to me. I think (or I thought) that I made what is mentioned... step by
step... and failed. Ok, may be it is a good point to state that my
English became a bit rusty over the years I've been away from online
games but I think it is not so bad that I miss the sense of the things I
read (or hear).

Fact is, that I still like v3 and also want to learn how v4 works. I
"bite" through many complicated games until I manage to be at least a
worthy victim. (Uncommon Valor is also a damn complicated game)

Currently I pay more and more attention to V4 and I'm pretty sure I will
try it again. At least when it is finished. But everytime I make a new
approach to the learning phase I see hundreds of "how to" pages,
helpfiles, guides, hints, rules, etc and I simply get shocked! I guess
I'm not the only one.

Is there a German "getting started guide" around? May be that would
help. I'm sure that once I find out the basics the rest will get easier
and THEN you can kill me :)

cheers
Michael (aka Mika)

Michael (aka Mika)
> Is there a German "getting started guide" around? May be that would
> help. I'm sure that once I find out the basics the rest will get easier
> and THEN you can kill me :)

There is a v4 "Newbies Guide" which Paul and I put together which takes you
through the first 3 turns or so - playing against yourself with a local
host. This guide is in English and Spanish and is being translated into
German and Dutch and hopefully soon into French and Finnish and any other
language I can find volunteers to work on! 8)
The German translation (I am assured) is mostly done - I just haven't seen
it yet!

http://mysite.freeserve.com/vgap4_stuff/alone/index.htm
it's a bit out of date due to some host changes recently - we will be
updating it soon I hope.

It's written for complete "newbies" - like me. Not targeted at v3
migrators - as I said - I'm not trying to "poach" V3 guys, but since you
asked - the German version might happen - eventually? I just have to keep
reminding the team...

Cheers
--
Olly

V3 only - same reasons. I downloaded and tried V4 - couldn't get it off my
machine fast enough......

--
It's all about Vanguard.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:56:42 GMT, "Seann" <smcpherson75@hotmail.ca>
wrote:

>So I'm curious....
>
>Do most players in this newsgroup exclusively play VGAP 3 or do they play 4
>too?
>
>If they don't play 4, why not?
>
>As for me, I am 3 only. I can't stand the VGAP 4 interface and find the game
>too complicated. 3 has just the right balance of gameplay for me.
>
>Any other comments from other players are encouraged.
>

>Cheers,

I play a few V3 games a year, when I'm in a period where I not playing
or a game has just started, I have a tinker with V4 following the
guide on http://mysite.freeserve.com/vgap4_stuff/alone/index.htm
I think it will take me longer to get use to than some one who has
never played V3, as they are not use to a certain way of playing.
I do like V4, but atm don't have the time to learn the micro
management while I'm still playing V3 games.

"Seann" <smcpherson75@hotmail.ca> wrote in

> So I'm curious....
>
> Do most players in this newsgroup exclusively play VGAP 3 or do they
> play 4 too?

I own copies of both 3 and 4.

I play 3. Im still waiting for my copy of 4.

The big thing for me is that Im not going to consider 4 to be worth any
attention from me until it has an AI. Computer Opponents.

Gandalf Parker