Budget gaming rig questions

fatherhudson

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I plan on building a new gaming PC right after christmas (I've asked for newegg gift certificates). This will be my first build.

Budget: $500- $800 (not quite sure yet). I mostly play fps's and rts games. I'd like to be able to play the newest games but i don't mind not being able to run them at the highest resolutions and framerates. It just has to be playable. I'll probably purchase most parts at newegg out of convenience. I live in the US.

Here's what i've been thinking:

1. MOBO: Asus M4A785TD-V Evo (this was recommended to me by a friend but is there a reason i should go with an expensive MOBO? What about the ASRock M3A770DE?)

2. CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz or AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz. (Any thoughts on what difference I'll see with one extra core? A friend has been trying to convince me to go with intel, an i3 or i5, he says they're just as good and the clock speeds are misleading. Is there any reason intel is better?)

3. GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 5670 (these seem like an incredibly good buy). If i was to get a more expensive card what would you recommend? Is there any difference in quality between nvidia and ATI?

4. Case: Antec 300. Any suggestions on quiet cheap (<$90) cases? I'm not a fan of LED's on cases.

5. RAM: at least 4gb whatever deal i can find at the time on fast memory. (Is 4 gb enough? would i see improvements in game speed with an extra gb or 2?)

6. Power supply - Corsair 450w

hopefully I'll be able to salvage the rest of the parts from old computers but I'll probably have to buy a new hard drive.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
Whoa $500ish u could actually land a full blown Heka Black Edition with L3, after market cooler + GTX 460 hehe
$531AR
Untitled-1029.jpg

In the GPU hierachy we have
9800GT = HD 5670 < HD 5750 < GTS 450 < HD 5770 < GTX 460 768m/192bit

TRENDING THREADS