5 yr old PS and adjusting 12V rail

madmurr

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I have an ~5 yr old TTGI TT-550SS and the panel on the side reads as such:

pic4.jpg

When I first bought it, I noticed the 12V rail was reading ~11.7V and RMA'd it. The next one (and the one I currently have) read the same so I thought, 'Well maybe that's the way it's supposed to be...' and left it at that.

Over the years I've noticed it slowly declining so I did some searching and found out that this model could be adjusted through a pot. I also found that apparently there are several versions of this PS, some with 140mm fan and some with 2 smaller fans. I have 2 smaller fans - looks like an 80mm and a 60mm (approximately...I'm guessing here).

I removed it last night, opened it up, blew out all the dust and searched the darn thing 3-4 times and couldn't find any pots to adjust. Ok, so I put it back together, paperclipped the motherboard connector (green wire to ground), hooked up one molex to a case fan, fired it up and measured voltages with a DMM:

3.3V=3.26
5V=5.02
12V=11.27( :ouch: )

I put the computer back together, fired it up and checked w/ the DMM on an unused molex and the 12V reads a fluctuating 11.58 - 11.75V just sitting there on the Windows desktop.

I've only seen sporadic posts about adjusting the 12V rail w/ no pics...

Long shot question...anyone have any info about if and where there's any pot to adjust on a TTGI TT-550SS?

Sorry for the wordiness, just trying to get as much info in as possible.

Thanks,
Madmurr

Solution
Trash that unit it is worthless and I would not recommend transfering that to a new build. It used to be under the logo Super Flower I do know they do not make power supplies anymore. The main reason was most likely because they are complete crap. Having a voltage of 11.27 is too low it could cause damage to your components and I would recommend getting a new unit ASAP.

EDIT

PSU voltage tolerances

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/power-supply-voltage-tolerance.htm

12 volt min 11.40 max 12.60

madmurr

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
The PSU is not giving me any problems (yet)...I'm planning on a new build w/in the next month or so and if I can salvage this PSU then cool, more money to spend elsewhere.

Um, to answer your other questions...measured with DMM and make/model is TTGI TT-550SS.

madmurr

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
It's a long discontinued item. Like I said, I bought 5 yrs ago...I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these and should I salvage it or recycle (toss) it, that's all.

Trash that unit it is worthless and I would not recommend transfering that to a new build. It used to be under the logo Super Flower I do know they do not make power supplies anymore. The main reason was most likely because they are complete crap. Having a voltage of 11.27 is too low it could cause damage to your components and I would recommend getting a new unit ASAP.

EDIT

PSU voltage tolerances

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/power-supply-voltage-tolerance.htm

12 volt min 11.40 max 12.60

Solution

madmurr

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
@SAAIELLO, 10-4 I had a feeling someone would say that, just needed to hear it, I guess...

@mosox, You know, I never even noticed that - good observation!