Sign in with
Your question

VID card on HTPC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2010 8:09:39 AM

Hi guys
My HTPC currently has no video card, it is connected by HDMI port from the motherboard.
I tried plugging in a video card from my old gaming system (which does not have HDMI, just DVI ports)...
When the video card is in, nothing is displayed on my TV... is this because when a video card is in place, the computer tries to send video out through primarily the video card output (thus I need to use DVI?)
Is there a way around this? Or is there actually a problem with my video card that is making the computer not post (even though the fans and such still turn on)

Thanks for the help!

More about : vid card htpc

a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 10:29:26 AM

Actually you need to set the PCIe as you primary display in the BIOS then connect the video card to your display.
Are you using 2 displays, one TV (What make and Model) and second the Monitor (What make and model)
Usually TV's don't have a DVI input thus the HDMI thing.
If you plan to use your old card, you need a monitor/Tv with a DVI input, or then you can buy a cheap DVI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI adapter
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_i...
And use you GPU and you'll see it on your TV...
Of course you'll need to connect the adapter to your TV if it doesn't have a DVI input
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&...
and then connect the DVI out on the GPU to the DVI on this adapter...

You say it does not post..... do you hear a beep?
Have you tried changing the cable between the GPU and the IGP when the system is on?
m
l
October 12, 2010 12:48:44 PM

What is the power rating of your power supply? Many HTPC builds have small power supplies.

What is the Power requirement for your video card?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 1:03:16 PM

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
AMD Athlon II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz
2.50GB RAM (2.25 GB usable) --> guess some of it is diverted to graphics
1GB PC2-6400, 1GB PC2-5300, 512MB PC2-5300
ATI Radeon HD 3200 (still integrated)
M3A78-EM Motherboard
Power supply: Orion HP585D (585W)

I think that's his config.... only thing missing is his GPU which he put in later and I think he fried it cos it got overheated...
m
l
October 12, 2010 5:21:22 PM

Hey alyoshka,
Thanks for all your replies... My board came with bios version 1602 which apparently was new enough to support AM3
I did end up updating my bios to the newest 2501 just a few days ago, and to be honest, it may have helped a SMALL amount, but the issue still occurs
It's hard to say, because the lag/lock ups seem to happen so randomly, I also notice that it does occur less when I put in 4 GB's of RAM
Sooooo I don't really know what that could mean, maybe extra ram helps somewhat compensate for a bad mobo/cpu? bad hard drive? I just bought a new seagate 1.5 TB, I will try this next, but what are your thoughts?

btw, the vid card I put in the htpc was a ATI 3850.
I am now using a cooler master extreme 550W in the HTPC but alyoshka is correct about my system otherwise.
I just installed a new 4850 on my "gaming" computer... should I consider trying the potentially overheated or "fried" 3850 back in my "gaming" computer but plugging in the power to GPU this time to see if it still works?
m
l
October 13, 2010 7:43:34 AM

alyoshka said:
Actually you need to set the PCIe as you primary display in the BIOS then connect the video card to your display.
Are you using 2 displays, one TV (What make and Model) and second the Monitor (What make and model)
Usually TV's don't have a DVI input thus the HDMI thing.
If you plan to use your old card, you need a monitor/Tv with a DVI input, or then you can buy a cheap DVI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI adapter
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_i...
And use you GPU and you'll see it on your TV...
Of course you'll need to connect the adapter to your TV if it doesn't have a DVI input
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&...
and then connect the DVI out on the GPU to the DVI on this adapter...

You say it does not post..... do you hear a beep?
Have you tried changing the cable between the GPU and the IGP when the system is on?

So I guess I was wrong. It DOES post, but just nothing shows up on screen. My original theory was right as when a video card is plugged in, the computer defaults to wanting to output video signal from the video card rather than from the mobo. This is confirmed by plugging my HTPC to a normal LCD via the DVI from the video card.
Unfortunately the mobo is newer than the GPU so the mobo has HDMI while the video card only has DVI.
I am only using 1 display...which will be my TV...

1) is there any way around this? Like to tell my computer to use the HDMI output from the mobo rather than the video card? Or am I left with just living without the video card?

2) Is there really any benefit from using this old video card for my HTPC? I'm guessing that the ATI 3850 independant GPU is still better than using onboard graphics (ATI 3200)?

Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 7:57:25 AM

Ok, now we'll go over the whole thing again.
Firstly, you have 3 sticks of RAM...... (-) That means a negative.....
1.5 GB of that RAM is 5300 and 1GB of it is 6400....... (-)

Is it possible for you to get 4 RAMs of the same type or 2 RAMs of the Same type?
If so, then the configuration is listed in the manual, you can populate
1 RAM stick : Either Slot A1 or B1
2 RAM sticks : Slot A1 & B1
4 RAM Sticks : Slot A1,B1,A2 & B2

There is no option for 3 Sticks, I'd suggest removing the 512MB stick all together if you can't lay your hands on new sticks

Reseat the RAMS in the suggested slots, go to the BIOS and setup the DRAM timings to Auto and let it all be controlled by Auto since the timings differ the system needs to find a balanced time between the two different sticks of RAM to avoid such lags and bottle necks.

No, I'd not suggest changing or exchanging anything right now, first lets solve the problem of this system without any other systems parts, it'll just add to the confusion:) 

m
l
October 13, 2010 8:15:44 AM

Ok, so I had not mentioned previously that I tried using my RAM from my gaming computer. They are 2x1 GB of 6400 (matching pair) that definitely work since my othe computer runs super smoothly.
This did not solve the problem.
I also tried putting it in alone AND in addition with the other 2x1GB (mismatched pair)

so 3x1GB 6400
1x1GB 5300
with this 4GB total, AND in addition to updating my bios to 2501, the system SEEMED to run a bit smoother, but I still had the computer lock up intermittently. This could have been fluke, cause some days I just get lucky. When the system locks up/freezes, I force a restart:
sometimes by manually turning the computer power off because start menu is super frozen and cntrl+alt+delete isn't responding. Occasionally when using cntrl+alt+delete initially nothing happens and then the screen goes black and I get the message "failure to display security and shut down options"

After a restart the system is totally inconsistent... sometimes I continue to immediately have freezing and lock-ups, other times the system runs smoothly for awhile and long enough to play some movies...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 8:20:19 AM

Everything said and done, ok.
Now you need HWmonitor or as another member suggested MSI overdrive.
I need you to monitor temps during the freeze ups and lockups, with hw monitor you can send the required temps of the Mobo, CPU and the GPU to the task bar.....
so incase of a freeze up you'll get the last reading of the temps on the system...
m
l
October 13, 2010 8:39:00 AM

alyoshka said:
Everything said and done, ok.
Now you need HWmonitor or as another member suggested MSI overdrive.
I need you to monitor temps during the freeze ups and lockups, with hw monitor you can send the required temps of the Mobo, CPU and the GPU to the task bar.....
so incase of a freeze up you'll get the last reading of the temps on the system...

so what values did u think were perrtinent?
I installed the program, opened a bunch of firefox windows to hopefully get it to lock up...Core Temps were good...at max 35 celsuis even after the lock ups.
I've tried keeping the Task Manager on and used a program "Core Temp" in the past and have neverr seen abnormal temps nor high cpu/memory usage even when lock-ups occur

The GPU temp seem kinda high to me 58-61 degrees (but again, my problems were occurring before I tried putting this ATI card in).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 8:41:22 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
What are the number of processes in the task manager?
m
l
October 13, 2010 8:53:56 AM

There are 38, a bit more than usual cause I'm trying to get the system to act up more right now so I have firefox, VLC, windows explorer (not IE) all open. The rest seem to be underrlying processes of windows 7 itself...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 8:55:13 AM

Ok. I forgot to ask you before but did you by any chance install win7 on this machine using some other processor?
m
l
October 13, 2010 9:06:44 AM

If you mean installing the OS and then changing the processor, then no. Nothing like that was done.

I guess I was did a decent job to get the system to freeze up again. I got the message I mentioned above when I tried to use cntrl alt delete when a bunch of windows were all "not responding". When I ctrl alt delete, first nothing happens for awhile, then the screen goes black for about 2 minutes with only the mouse cursor showing then the pop-up window stating:

"the logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL+ALT+DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch"

what is interesting, is that usually when this happens, when I press "okay", it goes back to windows and everything is unfrozen....as if this black out time allowed the computer to catch up on the processes? Other times I dont get lucky enough to even get this message. Sometimes cntrl alt delete doesn't initiate any response and I get tired of waiting so I have to manually hold the power button to shut the system off.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 9:13:25 AM

Ok, I'm knocking my head on the wall right now, but I found a little something you might want to try.....

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7perf...

It so seems that quite a few ppl are having this particular problem with Win7 and have nearly received the same reply from MS Support.....
I think it's worth a try, cos even I finally had to ask what was the number of processes going in the TM. :) 
m
l
October 13, 2010 9:33:08 PM

hey alyoshka
thanks so much for all your help...i appreciate your time and wisdom

my next step was to try a new hard drive... I re-installed win7 and things seem to be running smoothly. When I tried to make a partition on this new HDD, Disk Management only allowed me to shrink volume by 700 GB (it is a 1.5 TB)
Being a newly formatted drive that is empty, is this strange that there are unmovable files located in different places such that I can't shrink the volume?

Could this be where my original HDD went wrong because I used a 3rd party software to partition the way I wanted it to (maybe it does not take into account unmovable page files and such?)?
On my original HDD, I shrunk the C: drive to 250 GB and the rest of the 1.5TB was a partition to hold all my movies and other files
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 6:50:11 AM

For a 1.5 TB drive I'd suggest creating 500GB X2 and the rest in the third partition....
Although seek times change, but you can go thru a page on partition tables to get it perfectly right.
See, when you use a new HDD and are doing a whole new reinstall, I would always suggest using the installation process of windows itself to create all the partitions, it works best when you're doing a fresh install and is much better in allocating the right sectors.
When shrinking or expanding a drive using disk management, it needs enough space in an empty drive for cloning the content and storing allocation data, thus making a lot of space , at that time unusable.
I'd still suggest if you've not finished installing all that you want on the rig, do a complete re-install and use the windows partitioning facility during setting up the windows OS itself....
I know 500GB per partition is big, so it'll increase seek time, you can do a 250 , 500, 500, Remaining.
And keep a clone of the 250 primary partition in the last leftover remaining part of the drive.....
m
l
October 14, 2010 8:37:57 AM

Hrmmmm did I do something wrong then?
When using the windows disk management, in order to partition, the first step is to shrink volume right? Well for some reason, the max I can shrink is 700GB which thus cuts the 1.5 TB into half/half. The max shrink is limited to unmovable files from my understanding...

o.O
am I noob and missing some simple answer here?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 9:03:42 AM

Not exactly "Unmovable" files, but yes the page files existence on the drive does make a difference.
But why did you go that way is what I can't figure out....
It is easier to partition the drive right in the beginning..... :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2010 9:08:30 AM

i believe an hd3200 would suffice as an htpc gpu, i don't get the point why you'd want a discrete card on your htpc.
m
l
October 15, 2010 6:19:59 AM

alyoshka said:
Not exactly "Unmovable" files, but yes the page files existence on the drive does make a difference.
But why did you go that way is what I can't figure out....
It is easier to partition the drive right in the beginning..... :( 

what do you mean? like partition the drive during windows 7 installation?
i can try redoing it, since it's a new hard drive, not a big loss of time for me
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2010 6:24:32 AM

Yes exactly
You should partition it during the install but do not need to format it.
That can be done thru windows later on
but partitioning it during the install process is the best way to go about it....
m
l
October 15, 2010 8:31:53 AM

ok
I will try that....so should I extend volume so it is all one drive partition (C:) 
then boot from windows 7 cd, and do it that way?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2010 8:48:31 AM

:)  No don't do anything of that sort
Create One main partition of 250 GB
In the remaining Raw area of the un-partitioned disk create partitions according to your liking, just don't make it one big partition....
I already listed a few setups above....."I know 500GB per partition is big, so it'll increase seek time, you can do a 250 , 500, 500, Remaining.
And keep a clone of the 250 primary partition in the last leftover remaining part of the drive..... "
m
l
October 15, 2010 10:07:34 AM

so from my 2 roughly 750 GB partitions make each of them 250 and 500
...and do this via the win7 boot cd?

the issue with disk management from within windows is that it will not allow me to partition the C: drive anymore cause that is the smallest it can shrink it (due to unmovable files or whatever). I guess I might have to reinstall win7 and tell it to reformat first...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2010 10:10:48 AM

Yes, reinstall windows and at the time of installation , delete all partitions and then recreate them in the above order.....
Just forget the current partition table and shrinking and expanding stuff.....
Computers are logical devices, they prefer the easier way out too..... :) 
m
l
October 19, 2010 5:48:06 PM

alyoshka said:
Yes, reinstall windows and at the time of installation , delete all partitions and then recreate them in the above order.....
Just forget the current partition table and shrinking and expanding stuff.....
Computers are logical devices, they prefer the easier way out too..... :) 

Hey again, I'm in the midst of partitioning like you said....
I noticed that when doing a clean install on Windows 7, using the boot cd/dvd, during the setup, when telling it to "format" a drive, it literally takes a blink of an eye.
During windows 7 setup/install, I split my 1.5 TB HDD and made a 250 GB primary drive(C:) , then 500GB(D:) , 500GB(E:) , then remaining(F:?).
When I get to windows, only C: drive is accessible and formatted. The 2 500GB drives are RAW and require formatting while the remaining space (which I thought would be F:)  is unallocated.

My first question being: if I told it to format during the windows install (which I can't remember if I did or not) would that have worked?
Secondly, formatting in windows 7 seems to take a super long time. When you format during the win7 setup, is that a true reformat? (It takes less than a second!??). Why does it take so long to format within the OS?
Thirdly, why is the last partition unallocated?

Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 7:24:53 AM

Yes, for the first question, if you had asked it to format the drives it would have formatted it and created all it's crappy folders in them too.... sys recover and recycle bin and page file and stuff like that.... so good you didn't format the other partitions...before the install.....

During the win7 setup the drive is bare and has no, means absolutely no data on it thus it's a lot more faster. But when you go thru the formatting from within the OS, firstly, your system is already loaded and everything has occupied the resources of the rig, secondly, the data allocation on each sector or bit of the hdd is going to be erased thru the OS which will take longer cos it's not the simple dos based format, and thirdly, it also depends quite a bit on the File system that you are going to be formatting it to.... so everything just adds up to a little more time....

The last partition is unallocated since you didn't form a partition of the last bit of space left, you just left it as it was since it looked separate from the other 3 partitions you may have assumed that it was made into a partition by windows, but , that is not the case, it was left open and unallocated since you never told it to close the box......:) 
PS : I know they've launched the Kinetic, but, it's still not that advanced as to read mind in motion.... :)  so actually you needed to tell it to create the F drive..... and you can still do it thru the disc manager so don't worry.....
m
l
October 21, 2010 9:29:15 AM

Hi alyoshka,
thanks for the response...you seem to be one of the few that know what they're talking about. After finally fixing the problem with the hard drive, I think back about how so many people told me on this forum and other forums that I needed "more ram" or "better ram" or a "dedicated video card", all things that I knew should not affect performance/stability of windows 7 in performing the most basic functions!!!

Anyway, I have another question for you because this stems from my original problem...
I transferred all my data onto the new hard drive, but I was hoping that the problematic hard drive could still be recoverable with a full reformat...so while I had the problem HDD secondary to the new drive, I did a full reformat and new partitions (preparing to use it as a secondary on my other computer)

After I reformated it, I figured I should check that the hard drive was still good, thus I wanted to see if it could run on my HTPC as the sole primary hdd. I unplug the new hdd, (only the old hdd in place) and power up the computer with the win7 cd to boot.
I came across 3 different problems...

1) the first being "secondary master hard disk error.... press f1 to continue"... this confused me because there is only the old hdd plugged in. I get past this step by unplugging any extra sata cables from the mobo (the new hdd was unpowered and unplugged, but I left the sata cable attached to the mobo)

2) finally I got to the win7 setup and then midway through installation, it stopped installing (waited half an hour with no progress).

3) Tried it again and now during win7 setup I get a pop-up saying: "the file or directory C:\Program Files is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

Are these all signs that this hard drive is unsalvageable? I thought it might still be good because my computer ran fine while this drive was a secondary drive to my new HDD (my OS was stable as I transferred all my data and movies).
Is there a way I can troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2010 9:50:04 AM

The first error you got itself said there is something wrong with the zero sector of your old HDD....
If you have an old Win98 disc or a bootable DOS disc, I'd suggest using Fdisk on the old HDD.
Then do a Low Level Format
And then a Normal format
You will also finally need to use the Fdisk /MBR command in dos to clean up the MBR.....
Go thru these steps and check the results, keep me posted, and it's a time consuming process especially the HDD fill and LLF part.....

If everything works well without any errors then your HDD is not Unsalvageable
m
l
October 21, 2010 10:18:23 AM

hrmmm wow
I have no idea about all that stuff you just said... How do I use Fdisk, is this a program I have to get? Not sure if I have a win98 disc or dos disc, any alternatives or somewhere I can get this?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2010 10:24:49 AM

Oh OK.
What is the make of your HDD? the old one?
m
l
October 21, 2010 10:26:53 AM

okay so I just figured out that fdisk is something that is run from DOS
any elaboration on the specifics on how to do this? do I just type fdisk in the command prompt?

my HDD is a WD15EADS (WD 1.5 TB caviar green)
m
l
October 21, 2010 10:31:30 AM

how do I get a DOS disk? something I can download?
what if I put the drive as a secondary drive and use my new hdd as the primary, then use the command prompt within windows7? or does that not work the same?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2010 10:35:11 AM

Did you try this program from the company itself?
http://www.computerpi.com/wd.htm

Yes, you need to boot into DOS
Then at command prompt type in
> fdisk
do not have any other hdd in your system other than the bad one

follow the procedures there and it'll give a few results...

m
l
October 21, 2010 10:50:21 AM

can a floppy boot disc be a cd or usb?? cause I don't have a floppy drive o.O
all these things seem to be "floppy"

and I dont understand this part: "Once you have downloaded it, insert a formatted floppy disk in the floppy drive, and double click on the program you just downloaded. Once it has created your bootable floppy disk, you can simply reboot your computer with the floppy disk in the drive, and the program will start automatically. "
double click on the program and it automatically sends something to your floppy disc?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2010 10:56:21 AM

Yes, it actually creates a dos boot disc , on the floppy :) 
True, even I don't have a floppy drive anymore, what other stuff can you use to boot into dos, win98 cd, winxp cd, a dos disc, a seagate disc manager disc and last but not the least restart the computer in safe mode and choose the dos prompt option, but I doubt it'll have the fdisk and other commands there
but still give it a try
Or then download the small ISO image from here and burn to a blank cd.....
http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/

Although these are better
http://www.bootdisks.us/ms-dos/5/ms-dos-bootable-cd-ima...

Also read thru the the comments below this page they'll help you with the dos commands.....
m
l
October 22, 2010 12:54:56 AM

Hrmm
k I made a DOS boot disk from http://www.bootdisks.us/ms-dos/5/ms-dos-bootable-cd-ima...

when the computer boots up it says a bunch of stuff one being:
"no drives found, aborting installation"
"device driver not found: 'BANANA'. No valid CDROM device drivers selected"
then it has
A:\>
thus when i write fdisk, i think it is checking an a drive which I dont even have o.O
plus I know nothing about how to do stuff on ms-dos lol

prolly need a step-by step guide

wtf o.O

EDIT: So I tried using this ms-dos boot disk on my normal working hard drive, and it seems to say the same thing....so not sure what to make of it, but most likely it's me and my unfamiliarity with the program?
m
l
October 22, 2010 6:07:45 AM

Sooooo I put that "old/bad" hard drive into another computer as a secondary hdd, and as the computer booted it, it said something about hdd error, press any key to run chkdsk or something like that...
Now within windows, I can see this old hard drive with all the partitions, but within one of the partitions it has these 2 folders:

$WINDOWS.~BT
$WINDOWS.~LS

within the $WINDOWS.~BT folder, there is a "Sources" folder, which has 2 subfolders "Panther" and "Rollback"

o.O
any ideas?

maybe try and run it on my htpc and hope that chkdsk fixed the errors?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 6:59:39 AM

Those 2 folders were the ones that were created when you tried to install Win7 on it the last time and it got stuck.

Now if you still have the HDD in your PC, close all windows open, got to Disk Management in the Control Panel > Administrative tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management

Right click on the old hdd and delete all partitions there...

Create One big partition and format it .

Try to reboot after that and see if you get any errors..
m
l
October 22, 2010 7:08:13 AM

ok before I do the above, I had another little issue with my working computer....
after the chkdsk ran, I wanted to see if my problematic hdd was now fixed of errors (the hdd with those 2 weird folders)

I thus detached the working hdd, and now used my problematic hdd as the sole primary hdd and was going to try and install win7 on it

for some reason, this computer fails to listen to my boot priority. I realized this because the win7 dvd does not load instead, it tried to boot the hdd (which is blank thus I get a "BOOTMGR is Missing"). I figured that the boot priority was actually the issue because when I hook up my working hdd, it loads windows automatically rather than from the cd!!!
I got so frustrated I even made the 1st boot priority: CD, 2nd: Floppy, 3rd:USB
and yet it still just boots from the hdd into windows right away

wtf
am I tired and missing something? have i been struggling with computer issues that it's driven me to insanity?
m
l
October 22, 2010 7:09:56 AM

and I know it's not the boot cd because I also tried the MS-DOS boot cd and that didn't load either

o.O
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 7:42:08 AM

:)  Sry but I couldn't help myself....
This happens sometimes when you change boot devices too often.... lol the computer gets tired...)
Give yourself and the rig a break......
You could have forgotten to plug the power cord in or the Sata cable in the frustration....
That's pretty normal when we have to do it a few times.... :) 

It gave you no disk found in DOS because you had formatted it to NTFS.... that is not recognized under DOS.

Just delete all partitions on the spoilt HDD from within windows thru the CP admin tools like I said before, leave it as unpartitioned RAW space... the whole 1.5TB
Then boot from the DOS CD after you've disconnected the SATA and Power cable of the good drive from the MOBO....
And follow the Fdisk route
m
l
October 22, 2010 7:55:45 AM

I wish it was misplaced sata/power cords.... I rechecked, everything seems right to me and it still refuses to boot from cd. I know the cd is plugged in because within windows I can see the cd. For some reason my gaming comp just likes to boot straight into windows from the hard drive (when the good hard drive is in place).

I guess the above is a separate issue though (sigh)

I can try the above steps on my HTPC which seems to properly boot from cd when asked to even though the above problem does concern me (ie: driving me mad)

:pt1cable: 

btw, I downloaded WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS bootable CD, and when I run it on my htpc (which correctly uses cd to boot from) I get this message: "Unable to locate the License Agreement file, DLGLICE.TXT!!! Please make sure that the License Agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.EXE"
is this problem the same as you mentioned before in that this utility does not work because the disk is in NTFS? This utility sounds pretty useless to me if it can only diagnose problems after you have made the drive unallocated RAW.

:pt1cable: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 8:10:52 AM

LOL!!!! That was really... a very lame comment.... really very sorry to say so..... I nearly fell of my chair.....

The DOS Utility is actually meant to be the first thing to be used, and, half the world is still using it although windows new versions have their own DM utility, this utility is what is used More than windows itself....... :) 

And no that file "DLGLICE.TXT" has nothing to to with the file system, it's a file that is missing in the CD that you wrote for some reason, if the session on the cd is open you can always find the missing file and place it where the program wants you to.....

To diagnose the problem it needed your HDD to be either in FAT16 or FAT32 file system, sadly enough, the new Wins don't use these file systems anymore.....
But still use the same HDDs....:) 
m
l
October 22, 2010 8:27:45 AM

alyoshka said:
LOL!!!! That was really... a very lame comment.... really very sorry to say so..... I nearly fell of my chair.....

The DOS Utility is actually meant to be the first thing to be used, and, half the world is still using it although windows new versions have their own DM utility, this utility is what is used More than windows itself....... :) 

And no that file "DLGLICE.TXT" has nothing to to with the file system, it's a file that is missing in the CD that you wrote for some reason, if the session on the cd is open you can always find the missing file and place it where the program wants you to.....

To diagnose the problem it needed your HDD to be either in FAT16 or FAT32 file system, sadly enough, the new Wins don't use these file systems anymore.....
But still use the same HDDs....:) 

soooo you're saying that WD's utility is totally useless right? which utility are you saying is used more than windows itself? sorry...a bit confused by what you said above...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 8:35:48 AM

OK, Fdisk is the utility most widely used..... WD and Seagate just give a disc containing their own versions of the same utility......

Everyone who has ever assembled a computer or repaired someone else at the Hardware level has infact used Fdisk.

Fdisk is also a MS product......
And it is one of those utilities that we all use to partition , repartition and build the foundation of the computer HDD.
But as I told you, the New Win releases have this incorporated in them itself, so you basically never have to do the Command prompt thing again, but again, from sheer experience, I like to tell the computer what to do and like to see it doing whatever it was told to do.
Windows has a habit of hiding the Behind the scenes affair with it's amazing GUI :) 
But we really don't exactly know whats happening behind the animation.....
So it's preferable, when a system breaks down to work in the DOS environment for a preliminary check and troubleshoot.

No, the WD Utility may have it's own merits since it's a WD HDD.
m
l
October 22, 2010 8:43:58 AM

ok, that makes alot more sense to me
essentially Fdisk>WD utility

but for Fdisk to work, the hdd must be in unallocated/raw space
to get it into raw space again, I will have to load up the hdd as a secondary drive, and within windows use Disk Management right?

Tell me if any of my steps is wrong:
I deleted the partitions so it is all in unallocated space. In order to format it, I told it to make a new simple volume, unchecked the "quick format" option. I will leave it overnight to reformat. When that is done, I will delete the one partition and make the entire thing a newly reformated, unallocated, raw space.

When this is done, I will boot the MS DOS bootable CD (on my HTPC cause my gaming PC seems to skip booting from CD hahaha)
this is where I will need more direction. When I booted this before, the command prompt was a:\>
do I just type in fdisk here? or do I have to change the drive and how do I do that?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 8:49:24 AM

No.......Why do you need to reformat it?
Just delete the partitions and make one big RAW disc....
That should take about 5 seconds... :) 
Then boot using the MS DOS disc
at command prompt a:\> type Fdisk
no need to change any drives at command prompt, I bet you don't have a drive called A: but it still shows up there right? :) 
Yeah, it a drive that is created by the DOS boot to store all the essential files in it a sort of virtual drive.... only in B/W :) 

m
l
!