Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Trouble with SLi - Palit 250 GTS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2010 11:19:14 AM

Hi,
I have two Palit GTS 250 cards, and an SLi capable motherboard, GB P55A-UD4, and for some reason I do not have the option to enable SLi. Futhermore, when I start the computer, only the bottom card (Relative to the CPU) will have it's fan running and will display anything. However, if I remove the bottom card and then start the computer, the top card runs fine. I've tried swapping the position of the two cards and it makes no difference. I'm running with a 500W Antec Power supply, 2x 500Gb 7200 rpm HDDs, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Core i5-750 processor. The only possible thing I can see that might be problematic is that my motherboard supports the 2x4 12V connecter, while my PSU only has a 2x2 12V connector. Both cards have 6V PCI-e power. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Best solution

October 12, 2010 12:01:12 PM

Does you m/b have an updated bios ? One of the updates (i have p55 ud4p) fixed dual graphic card compatibility I believe.
Its confusing your explanation of the power connectors. You need 1 6 pin pcie connector for each card. Do you have 1 for each card ?
If not are you supplying two molex to one 6 pin for the second card ?
October 12, 2010 2:22:30 PM

Hey, thanks a bunch! Updating the BIOS got the fan spinning on the top card, but it still won't let me display anything on the top card unless the bottom one is out. And it still doesn't show up in the Device Manager in windows.
Sorry about the confusion. I do indeed have 1 6 pin PCI-e connector for each card. And yes, for the second card it is two molex to one 6 pin.
Score
Related resources
October 12, 2010 2:26:50 PM

You want to have your monitor cable in the top card, nothing plugged in to the bottom card.
Have a sli bridge installed
restart the computer

Your bios screen won't show on the monitor the way I described above ?
remove any usb hard drives , or game controllers or any usb device except your mouse /keyboard when you restart.
Score
October 12, 2010 3:04:15 PM

Yeah, i've tried that a billion times now :(  Nothing seems to be having any effect.
Score
October 12, 2010 3:10:42 PM

Try starting your computer with both cards sli bridge on, monitor in bottom card ?
Can't hurt ?
Maybe its a psu problem. A 650 should do it. Don't know what to tell ya ?
Score
October 12, 2010 3:34:23 PM

Yeah, I'll try whatever seems to make any sense. Short CMOS, remove battery, etc. Yeah, I'll get a new PSU, cus 500 is a tad on the short side anway. Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it :) 
Score
October 12, 2010 4:29:59 PM

Best answer selected by Palitusa.
Score
October 12, 2010 4:30:18 PM

Best answer selected by Palitusa.
Score
October 13, 2010 1:23:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!