Sign in with
Your question

Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 lots of bad boards?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 8, 2011 2:19:00 AM

Hello.

I am interested in the Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 motherboard but it is unsettling to read all the bad reviews from NewEgg from people that have recieved DOA boards and boards with bad DIMM slots.

It's a killer looking board with tons of features but over 1/4 of the reviews cite bad boards. I am not necessarily asking if you think this board is good or not, looks pretty sweet if it works. I am asking if you, in your opinion, would you hesitate to purchase something of this price, and such an essential component, with all the reports of bad quality control, construction, or design, whatever the cause is.

This is the one component of my new build that has me questioning quality and reliability. I would like to not have my new build go sour, because I was dazzled with features, rather than quality.

I have never had an Asrock board, all I know is from reviews, and people talking about them at one time specializing in low end boards. I have also heard they are an offshoot from Asus, and that they don't have the greatest customer service. I had never heard of them until I started working on my new build.

I understand that some of the negative reviews could have come from user error, misunderstanding, or bad planning, but still, there are a lot.

If I were to pick an alternative it would likely be one of the similarly priced Asus Z68 Gen3 boards.

Thanks, and have at it!

Bwitz

a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2011 2:22:41 AM

I've never been a fan of Asus or Asrock mobos due to reliability issues. I have used all the major brands of mobos and based on my 20+ years of PC building experience I recommend Gigabyte mobos for performance and reliability.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2011 2:42:33 AM

beenthere said:
I've never been a fan of Asus or Asrock mobos due to reliability issues. I have used all the major brands of mobos and based on my 20+ years of PC building experience I recommend Gigabyte mobos for performance and reliability.

You build PCs since 1991 ?
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2011 2:53:41 AM

ilysaml said:
You build PCs since 1991 ?

Actually since 1989... ;) 
November 8, 2011 3:51:13 AM

beenthere said:

I used to have a Gigabyte board but it burnt up one day, so I guess it's the nature of the beast. I replaced it with an Abit because it was the only available option from my store. No hard feelings about Gigabyte at all, just saying. I'll compare some Gigabyte reviews to the Asus and Asrock and see where that gets me. Thanks for sharing your opinion and experience.

ilysaml said:
@OP, How come??? this MOBO took the Approved hammer from Tomshardware compared to lots of Z68 MOBOS
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68a-gd80-p8z68-del...

My request for opinions isn't about the performance of the board when it works. Like I said, I read the reviews, this isn't a "is this good?" topic. It's a matter of how far you go with customer feedback and peoples opinions of the company's reputation, experience, and commitment to quality and customer service, before purchasing.

You should spend a little more time trying to comprehend the topic at hand, rather than chomping at the bit to link to some review I've obviously read. It is to be expected that a manufacturer fishing for a good review would send a piece of hardware that has been thoroughly tested and deemed fully functional.
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2011 11:35:30 AM

bwitz said:
You should spend a little more time trying to comprehend the topic at hand, rather than chomping at the bit to link to some review I've obviously read.

Easy, i wanted to help.
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2011 11:58:51 AM

ilysaml said:
Easy, i wanted to help.

Hostile to someone that's trying to help...

@Op

Take into consideration that a lot of the reviews people make about faulty products are usually user installation faults. I can surf the reviews of any manufacturer and "see" that they caused the problems (the user). It's indicative that a person has no place being inside of a computer if they cannot even spell.

While I would pick a different ASRock board, I've had nothing but good luck with them... there is a reason they are taking over the market.
November 8, 2011 12:40:38 PM

I've been very happy with my ASROCK Extreme3 Gen3 board. I'd be very surprised if their much more expensive Extreme7 board was of lesser build quality. It's POSSIBLE that there's a high failure rate, but keep in mind that people who are satisfied are FAR less likely to post reviews than those who are unhappy. I guess I should post a review myself on newegg.
!