Reinstalling Win98? ? ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 9, 2005 2:29:23 PM

I need to reinstall Win98 on my laptop. I have the original disc, but have
misplaced the book which contained the key number.

Is that number specific to my disc?

Or can I use someone else's key number?

More about : reinstalling win98

February 9, 2005 3:05:48 PM

"Ray" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

> I need to reinstall Win98 on my laptop. I have the original
> disc, but have misplaced the book which contained the key
> number.
>
> Is that number specific to my disc?
>
> Or can I use someone else's key number?

No, your laptop will explode. After sending out a homing signal it
will spray you with a blue fluid you can't wash off, so that
Bill's cops can arrest, torture, indict and convict you.

--
CeeBee

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 9, 2005 5:02:40 PM

Ray wrote:
> I need to reinstall Win98 on my laptop. I have the original disc, but have
> misplaced the book which contained the key number.
>
> Is that number specific to my disc?
>
> Or can I use someone else's key number?

Use any key you can get and do not worry about anything else.

--
John Doue
a b D Laptop

"Ray" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
|I need to reinstall Win98 on my laptop. I have the original disc, but have
| misplaced the book which contained the key number.
|
| Is that number specific to my disc?
|
| Or can I use someone else's key number?

Hi Ray -

If the computer is still running (meaning you can boot into Windows... or at
least Safe Mode), you can get the Product Key from the System Registry.

Note: This only works for Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME. The key is encrypted
for Windows XP and is stored at a different location (search Google for a
little program called "ViewkeyXP" to decipher the Windows XP Product Key).

This process involves editing your Windows Registry. Take care not to make
any changes or press the delete key at any point during this process.

Click on Start then Run.

Type REGEDIT and press OK.

In the Registry Editor program:

Click on the plus next to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" to expand the registry
branch.

Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "Software"

Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "Microsoft"

Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "Windows"

Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "CurrentVersion"

In the right pane of the screen you should see an entry labeled
"ProductID" - this is the Windows Product Key that was used for the
installation of Windows on your computer. Carefully write down the five
groups of letters and numbers.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 9, 2005 7:07:47 PM

JefN wrote:
> "Ray" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
>> I need to reinstall Win98 on my laptop. I have the original disc,
>> but have misplaced the book which contained the key number.
>>
>> Is that number specific to my disc?
>>
>> Or can I use someone else's key number?
>>

> Hi Ray -
>
> If the computer is still running (meaning you can boot into
> Windows... or at least Safe Mode), you can get the Product Key from
> the System Registry.
>
> Note: This only works for Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME. The key is
> encrypted for Windows XP and is stored at a different location
> (search Google for a little program called "ViewkeyXP" to decipher
> the Windows XP Product Key).
>
> This process involves editing your Windows Registry. Take care not
> to make any changes or press the delete key at any point during this
> process.
>
> Click on Start then Run.
>
> Type REGEDIT and press OK.
>
> In the Registry Editor program:
>
> Click on the plus next to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" to expand the registry
> branch.
>
> Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "Software"
>
> Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "Microsoft"
>
> Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "Windows"
>
> Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "CurrentVersion"
>
> In the right pane of the screen you should see an entry labeled
> "ProductID" - this is the Windows Product Key that was used for the
> installation of Windows on your computer. Carefully write down the
> five groups of letters and numbers.

If you can get that far, and you have room, copy the Win98 folder to a
similarly named folder on your hard drive. You'll find that 98 installs
much faster from there, than from the CD. Also include in this folder, a
Notepad or other file containing the key code...perhaps 'named' the key
code.....

If you *can't* get that far...somewhere on the net, I discovered a series of
Win98SE 'universal' product keys. After trying one or two of them, I found
one that 'fit' my particular installation. I can't say where on the net
that I found them, but I'm sure I did it with a Google search.

jak
> Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 9, 2005 8:04:18 PM

jakdedert wrote:

>>....[snip]
> If you can get that far, and you have room, copy the Win98 folder to a
> similarly named folder on your hard drive. You'll find that 98 installs
> much faster from there, than from the CD. Also include in this folder, a
> Notepad or other file containing the key code...perhaps 'named' the key
> code.....

Better - whatever code you eventually find that works for you, write it
on your cd.

---
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 9, 2005 8:04:19 PM

Dick Weaver wrote:
> jakdedert wrote:
>
>>> ....[snip]
>> If you can get that far, and you have room, copy the Win98 folder to
>> a similarly named folder on your hard drive. You'll find that 98
>> installs much faster from there, than from the CD. Also include in
>> this folder, a Notepad or other file containing the key
>> code...perhaps 'named' the key code.....
>
> Better - whatever code you eventually find that works for you, write
> it on your cd.

That too, but I suggested he dispense with the CD (except for backup) and
install directly from the hd....

jak

> ---
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 10, 2005 12:25:38 AM

The number itself is not specific to your CD, but neither are all
numbers interchangeable. Using another number isn't legal, but if you
are going to ignore that, it has to be another number from the exact
same "version" of Windows 98. "Version" in this context includes some
things that are not obvious, like retail vs. OEM, full product vs.
Ugrade, etc.

Ray wrote:

> I need to reinstall Win98 on my laptop. I have the original disc, but have
> misplaced the book which contained the key number.
>
> Is that number specific to my disc?
>
> Or can I use someone else's key number?

February 10, 2005 1:11:28 AM

Thanks JefN --

I found it without any problem.

-- Ray

"jakdedert" <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> JefN wrote:
>> "Ray" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
>>> I need to reinstall Win98 on my laptop. I have the original disc,
>>> but have misplaced the book which contained the key number.
>>>
>>> Is that number specific to my disc?
>>>
>>> Or can I use someone else's key number?
>>>

>> Hi Ray -
>>
>> If the computer is still running (meaning you can boot into
>> Windows... or at least Safe Mode), you can get the Product Key from
>> the System Registry.
>>
>> Note: This only works for Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME. The key is
>> encrypted for Windows XP and is stored at a different location
>> (search Google for a little program called "ViewkeyXP" to decipher
>> the Windows XP Product Key).
>>
>> This process involves editing your Windows Registry. Take care not
>> to make any changes or press the delete key at any point during this
>> process.
>>
>> Click on Start then Run.
>>
>> Type REGEDIT and press OK.
>>
>> In the Registry Editor program:
>>
>> Click on the plus next to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" to expand the registry
>> branch.
>>
>> Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "Software"
>>
>> Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "Microsoft"
>>
>> Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "Windows"
>>
>> Scroll down the branch and click on the plus next to "CurrentVersion"
>>
>> In the right pane of the screen you should see an entry labeled
>> "ProductID" - this is the Windows Product Key that was used for the
>> installation of Windows on your computer. Carefully write down the
>> five groups of letters and numbers.
>>
> If you can get that far, and you have room, copy the Win98 folder to a
> similarly named folder on your hard drive. You'll find that 98 installs
> much faster from there, than from the CD. Also include in this folder, a
> Notepad or other file containing the key code...perhaps 'named' the key
> code.....
>
> If you *can't* get that far...somewhere on the net, I discovered a series
> of
> Win98SE 'universal' product keys. After trying one or two of them, I
> found
> one that 'fit' my particular installation. I can't say where on the net
> that I found them, but I'm sure I did it with a Google search.
>
> jak
>> Jef

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 10, 2005 2:31:03 AM

| Thanks JefN --
|
| I found it without any problem.
|
| -- Ray

Happy to help Ray.

Good luck with your reinstall.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 10, 2005 9:23:17 PM

There is a better deal than this:
DO you want a Sony Viao Laptop for only $5?
Well than you have entered the right place at the right time. Just Click
on the URL and you will be able to get a Sony Laptop for just $5 and
reading a bunch of emails. ITs totally Legit:

http://www.ezlaptop.com/index.php?ref=34712

OR you can get a TOshiba Laptop with WIfi internet connection for only
$40,
Just Click Here:
http://www.power2source.com/index.php?ref_id=3060
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 10, 2005 9:23:45 PM

There is a better deal than this:
DO you want a Sony Viao Laptop for only $5?
Well than you have entered the right place at the right time. Just Click
on the URL and you will be able to get a Sony Laptop for just $5 and
reading a bunch of emails. ITs totally Legit:
My Cousin already got his and you can get yours too if you sign up at:
http://www.ezlaptop.com/index.php?ref=34712

OR you can get a TOshiba Laptop with WIfi internet connection for only
$40,
Just Click Here:
http://www.power2source.com/index.php?ref_id=3060
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 11, 2005 2:16:58 PM

"awkward_djp" <awkward_djp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There is a better deal than this:
> DO you want a Sony Viao Laptop for only $5?
> Well than you have entered the right place at the right time. Just Click
> on the URL and you will be able to get a Sony Laptop for just $5 and
> reading a bunch of emails. ITs totally Legit:
>
> http://www.eslatop.com/index.php?ref=34564332
>
> OR you can get a TOshiba Laptop with WIfi internet connection for only
> $40,
> Just Click Here:
> http://www.powersource.com/index.php?ref_id=304444360

Just go away you MORON Scam artist.