Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just finished building, having some issues. Help!

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2010 8:41:32 PM

I just finished building my computer and I'm having a few issues. Your help is very much appreciated.

Running:
1x EVGA 768-P3-1362-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 768MB (going to use their step-up program and get a 1GB version unless someone convinces me otherwise.)
1 x Intel Core i7-920 2.67ghz
1 x ASUS Rampage III Gene
3 x Nanya 1GB DDR3 RAM
3 x Nanya 2GB DDR3 RAM
1 x HITACHI Deskstar 1TB
1 x ASUS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
1 x COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm CPU Cooler
1 x COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
1 x COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
1 x Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Problems:
Performance is slow. I don't know why and don't know what tests to run to determine where the problem is.

Symptoms:
My programs crash occasionally at start-up. Typically when I turn on my computer cold, Windows 7 will load up and so will Rocket Dock but sometimes when I open up a program immediately, the computer just lags and if I keep trying to do stuff (like close the program or open another) the computer freezes. I now wait about 1-2 minutes after Windows has loaded to start up my programs.
I play Starcraft 2 and Heroes of Newerth primarily but I've recently gone back to Aion during their 10 days of reactivation and the biggest thing I notice is that at the character creation screen when I change facial features, the character's face doesn't render while I change it but only renders once I stop and pick a certain feature. My games run decent, not spectacular since I still experience lag but they are within the marginal error like when I'm in a major city in an MMO with all max settings or playing SC2 with 500+ units in an all-out clusterf**k.
My second monitor (a 46" Sony Bravia LCD TV) blurs while I'm gaming when I have both turned on with duplicate screen enabled. My first monitor is a Samsung 23" LED monitor.
Temperatures are completely stable.

Hypotheses:
These are in order of suspicion but I don't know how to confirm any of these.
1. Video Card having some issues.
2. Motherboard is bad.
3. RAM is going haywire.
4. I installed Windows 32-bit instead of 64-bit? I admit I didn't pay attention but I slipped in the same disc that I used to install it on my previous system and I doubt they have a "choice" between installation types.
5. When I applied thermal paste to the CPU/Cooler, I didn't do it properly. (doubt this one highly because my temperatures are fine.

Thank you very much for braving my wall of text crit and thank you again for your help.
December 7, 2010 8:57:20 PM

Is your ram triple channel?
IMO, try just using 6(3 x2GB) of ram for a change.

Also, perhaps the resolution of your TV is higher than the resolution you're using for gaming?
m
l
December 7, 2010 8:59:34 PM

jaguarmatt said:
Is your ram triple channel?
IMO, try just using 6(3 x2GB) of ram for a change.

Also, perhaps the resolution of your TV is higher than the resolution you're using for gaming?

To be honest, the RAM came stock with another pre-built computer so I don't have much information on it other than it's made by Nanya and it worked perfectly fine with the pre-built computer.

The resolution of my TV and my monitor are both 1920x1080 so I don't know where the issue would arise.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2010 9:41:36 PM

First off, welcome to the forums! Next, let's run some tests. Download and install the following apps:

1. GPU-Z
2. CPU-Z
3. FurMark
4. Prime95
5. HW Monitor
6. SpeedFan

The first program I want you to run is CPU-Z, followed by HW Monitor. In the CPU-Z GUI, look at the Memory tab. Jot down, or better yet take a screenshot of what you see in this tab. Next, switch over to HWM. Look at your temps. Do any seem abnormally high?

Run FurMark. This app will stress test your GPU. It is not uncommon for your GPU temp to exceed 80° C. FurMark will use your entire display while its testing. Let this test run for about 20 minutes. If your GPU remains stable throughout the test, then it is fine.

With the first two apps still open, run Prime95. Select "Blend" and run the test. This will use RAM and CPU resources. While this test is running, your CPU will be at 100% load. Let the test run for about a few hours (OC stability is usually ensured if no crashes after ~12 hours). Monitor your temps again in the HWM GUI.

Come back with the results.
December 8, 2010 11:48:20 PM

T_T said:
First off, welcome to the forums! Next, let's run some tests. Download and install the following apps:

1. GPU-Z
2. CPU-Z
3. FurMark
4. Prime95
5. HW Monitor
6. SpeedFan

The first program I want you to run is CPU-Z, followed by HW Monitor. In the CPU-Z GUI, look at the Memory tab. Jot down, or better yet take a screenshot of what you see in this tab. Next, switch over to HWM. Look at your temps. Do any seem abnormally high?

Run FurMark. This app will stress test your GPU. It is not uncommon for your GPU temp to exceed 80° C. FurMark will use your entire display while its testing. Let this test run for about 20 minutes. If your GPU remains stable throughout the test, then it is fine.

With the first two apps still open, run Prime95. Select "Blend" and run the test. This will use RAM and CPU resources. While this test is running, your CPU will be at 100% load. Let the test run for about a few hours (OC stability is usually ensured if no crashes after ~12 hours). Monitor your temps again in the HWM GUI.

Come back with the results.

Step #1
http://i.imgur.com/8YC0m.jpg

Step #2
I ran Stability Test in Xtreme Burn Mode for 1200 seconds (20 minutes). Temperature maxed out at 70 degrees Celsius. No crashes.

Step #3
Ran Prime95 for about an hour (computer went to sleep on it's own) but I'm not over-clocking anything at the moment so it should be fine right? CPU temperatures maxed out at 55 Celsius.

Did Step #3 also test the RAM?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 9, 2010 6:13:35 PM

Step 3 test "some" RAM.

Considering that the previous two tests came back with positive results, let's move on to a more thorough RAM test. Download Memtest86+ .zip. After extracting the .iso, double click on the file to burn it to disc using Windows 7. If you have a third party burning program, double clicking the .iso file will not work, instead, burn the file to disc as a bootable image.

Once you've successfully burned the disc image, pop the disc back in to the drive. Shut down the computer and then remove two of three RAM sticks. Turn on your computer. MT86+ will run automatically. Allow this test to run for 8-10 passes. The term "passes" is not used in context of success or fail, but rather a pass through. If you see red, you have faulty RAM.

The reason you want to test the sticks individually is to eliminate the guess work. If you have all your sticks in while testing, and MT86+ reports errors, it won't show you which stick has the problem.
m
l
December 11, 2010 5:41:56 PM

Tested. Everything checks out.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2010 10:01:32 PM

Ok, so there's nothing conclusively "wrong" with your current hardware, but that doesn't mean that hardware is out of the picture. I haven't heard of that RAM brand, so I can't comment on their reliability. What I can tell you is that until you find the specs on those sticks, your RAM will always be the questionable component. If you don't feel like spending money on RAM because MT86+ doesn't report errors, try adjusting your timing, voltage, and frequency. It will likely be a trial and error situation. Alternatively, you could buy some new RAM from one of the following brands:

1. G.Skill
2. Mushkin
3. Corsair
4. OCZ
5. Kingston
6. Crucial

All of the brands mentioned above are well known in the computer building world and are very reputable, to an arguable degree, of course. G.Skill is probably the highest regarded; they're not very expensive either.
m
l
December 26, 2010 3:08:26 AM

Best answer selected by chinesepanda.
m
l
!