GTS 450 SLI VS. GTX 460

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp3212006

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I have done a lot of research on this subject and still can't come to a clear decision. I found this review that made me lean toward the gts 450 in sli.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTS_450_SLI/

But i wanted to get a little more input.

Any opinions?

Solution
Then call them up and ask to upgrade (you have to pay difference) and get the gtx 460.
You will be able to max out most games/settings with a o/c gtx 460.
SLI does have draw backs. Benchmarks tend to always favor SLI, as they always pick games that SLI well, and only compare FPS. What they don't compare is sometimes there is a loss of image quality. They don't compare games played in windowed mode (SLI/CF doesn't function in windowed mode). They don't mention the games that don't use SLI (it's not a lot of games, but there are some). They don't mention that SLI/CF will sometimes drop out of SLI/CF without you knowing (not too common, but happens).

If you use an SLI/CF, it won't be as simple as a single card. If you don't mind always fiddling with your system, then it's fine, but I'd recommend you choose a card to SLI/CF that you could feel ok with running as a single card, as you will be doing that on occation.

cjp3212006

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Here is my system right now:

CASE: COOLERMASTER CM 690 II ADVANCED
MOTHERBOARD: EVGA P55 SLI
CPU: INTEL I5 750 W/ STOCK FAN
MEMORY: 4GB OF G SKILL DDR3 1600MHZ
HARD DRIVE: 1TB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3
GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTS 450 SUPERCLOCKED
PSU: COOLERMASTER SILENT PRO 600W
CD/DVD: SAMSUNG CD/DVD BURNER

notty22

Distinguished
Nice stuff, if you already have one gts 450, might as well get a second, IF your feeling the need for more speed :). Have you tried overclocking your 450 at all ?
What resolution are you gaming at ? SLI works best at 1920x

notty22

Distinguished
I'll post this here for others that might be interested:
Experience GeForce with EVGA GTS 450!

EVGA is offering 150 people across the globe the chance to try out our GTS 450! You can try it out for 30 days in your own system and see how you like it, then send it back at no expense to you. For those that can't live without the new card, you can keep it for only the collateral and you don't even have to pay for shipping! Whether you want to add a 2nd card to try out SLI, or upgrade your older card - now is the time.
http://www.evga.com/articles/00582/

cjp3212006

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Im going to be purchasing a 22" monitor in the next couple of months so im probably going to stay around 1680x1050.

I just purchased the parts from newegg and have the option to rma the video card. so im still open for either choice.

I got the card in a bundle for about $40 cheaper. It is already superclocked to 882mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.