Sign in with
Your question

Prebuilt Upgrade - Case Shorting System?

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2010 9:38:01 PM

I'm upgrading a pre-built system, so I didn't know whether to put this in the pre-built section or home built. I'm assuming pre-built, but I just stuck it here as I couldn't figure it out.

Anyways. I'm upgrading a Compaq Presario SR1151NX and I'm having an issue.

A co-worker of mine brought in his computer and told me that it just wouldn't start anymore. Sure enough, I got it home, plugged it in and hit the power button and nothing happened. So, I did the standard checks, made sure all the connections were tight, blah blah blah. Assuming the power supply had gone, I replaced the existing one with one of mine that I'm currently using and KNOW works. Then I went CMOS battery, etc, etc. That didn't help. So, I told him that it was almost certainly his motherboard and that I could upgrade the system fairly cheap.

$150 and 5 days shipping later and I start the upgrade. As I started dismantling his system I thought it strange that the original computer he brought me didn't have standoffs, but the motherboard tray (which is riveted on) has bumps where the screws go, so I assumed that this was a way to get around having standoffs. So I put everything together and go to turn it on and I have the same issue.

To avoid making this story any longer I'll just go ahead and say that I built the system on anti-static bags/mats and everything powered on with no problem. So, I'm assuming it's the case that's shorting out the system somehow.

I noticed that the paint/powder coating (whatever it is) on the motherboard tray is kind of scratched off (though I don't know how...) at the areas where the motherboard mounts to the tray.

My questions are:

1) Do I need to use the standoffs with this type of motherboard tray? And if so, how is it the original build didn't use them and worked fine for years?

2) If it's not the standoffs (and I don't think it is as the original build didn't have them) then what could it be and how can I find and fix it?
December 7, 2010 9:52:44 PM

Quick Thought...

I just looked, and if I DO use standoffs, the motherboard ports won't properly align with the backplate that came with it because the bumps on the motherboard tray have it at the perfect height already...
m
l
December 7, 2010 11:17:33 PM

The bumps serve as standoffs. ecause it is a commencial system, the bumps should match the mounting holes in the motherboard.

Cover each bump with a piece of electrical tape. Then use the motherboard for a template to punch holes in the tape on the bumps used to mount the motherboard. Then remove the motherboard and check all the pieces of tape for holes.

Each piece of tape should have a matching hole. If not, you have found your problem. If all the pieces of tape do have holes, try reassembling the system to see what happens.
m
l
December 9, 2010 1:36:07 PM

All of the bump standoffs match the holes (with no extras, so nothing else is contacting the board). Now, do I leave the tape on before reassembling?
m
l
!