1155 Most Problematic socket in history? Or just me?

asustudent1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Dear Forum members:

Are the 1155 socket p67 and z68 chipset mobo's just causing havoc or is it just me? High or low end it doesn't seem to matter. A large percentage of people are just having issue after issue with these boards. By high I mean 15-40%. I've never seen or heard of anything like this with motherboards before as the 775 series had so many reliable boards (mine has run for 6 years without a single issue).

Please read the following feedback under 1 star reviews on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-188-082&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

It seems this guy is SPOT ON for the socket LGA 1155 p67 and z68 chipsets. Every single board I consider buying, I perform a few hours of research on. For every single board I have found a very high percentage of users are experiencing problems. These problems include boot errors, BIOS, XMP errors, DOA, etc, etc.

I can provide links for multiple forums and websites for each board and each problem, which just seem to crop up over and over. Alot of these problems are also mentioned in the relatively high percentage (15-30%) of 1 star Newegg reviews.

ASUS p8p67 Deluxe

Asrock z68 extreme7 gen 3

Asrock p67 extreme6

MSI p67 and z68 boards

I know Sandybridge is great, but should I just consider a 1336 or another Socket for my new build? I put reliability above the potential for pure overclocking.

I think it is just you.

The problem with gathering "fail" statistics from newegg is that the sampling is not random. Someone buys a motherboard from newegg, builds a computer with it, and the computer works. He may or may not tell newegg about it.

Someone else does the same thing. His computer doesn't work. Well, first he does a 1 egg review. Then he RMA's everything, with no clue what is wrong. And before you accuse me of exaggeration, note that I spend a lot of time in the hardware section of the forums.

Useful statistics would be:
newegg: " We sold x number of LGA1155 boards since the SATA problem was fixed. Customers returned y% of them. We tested them and we found no evidence of failure in z%.

Even better would be a breakdown by brand.

RussK1

Splendid

+1 [:russwood1488:7]

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
I've helped set up 3 P8P67 based builds in the past few months... all of them were perfect on first power up and still no issues whatsoever... these rigs are either SLI or CF with all DDR slots used and a mix of both SATA ports used.

3 for 3 on being reliable boards on the Asus front here.

Totally agree with jsc with the added cavet:
Unknown - How may of the returned MBs were "killed" by the user.
(A) ESD damage. In may of these cases the user is unaware that they caused this.
(B) Defective part (other than MB) that then damaged the MB. Such as a very poor brand Power supply. Inproper power connections (rare, but does happen). Defective Ram module.
(C) Does not know how to set sytem up.
Do you think that an individual with "High" electronic knowledge" is going to blame themselves.??

In all my years, I've only returned ONE component to Newegg, a memory module for an older laptop - was incompatable.

Generally I always wait about 3 months after a MB or SSD has been available, then look for documented problems.

I do read the 1/2 egg comments and try to evaluate validity.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
admittedly, there have been hiccups. but these new chipsets bring with them many new features. takes a lil while to iron all the kinks out. true for any technology (like new video cards for example, or ssds etc.)

truth be had, my z68@5ghz is rock stable and sips the volts when not flexing its muscle. its a very impressive cpu/mobo

Over 17 years of building, I would say that overall the most problems I have had were with motherboards. I think that out of 20+ personal builds, I have had 5 motherboards go bad, 4 were bad out of the box, 1 went bad in a couple of months.

They were Biostar, Albatron, ASUS, Gigabyte, and Gigabyte. That does seem like a high percentage for about 20 builds, (new builds, not upgrades) at fully 10%.

I would like to think that not all of them were my fault, the 4 that were bad right out of the box I could never even get them to POST or make a single solitary beep. The 5th was a Gigabyte that lasted a few months, well, that could of been me overclocking and tinkering that lead to it's demise I suppose, but I am a mild overclocker and never get too crazy. But I would tend to think also from my experience helping other people build, a lot of folks cause more problems than they solve, and I believe too that a large percentage of boards are returned because of user fault. It would be interesting too see the results of above mentioned survey for certain.

My last build with a Sandy Bridge does have 1 annoying thing, it will hang about 5 minutes after boot for about 2-3 minutes, the courser will move, but that is all.
It will do it after every boot, usually right after opening Firefox. After a few minutes all is back to normal, and I can run the machine for WEEKS without a glitch or having to reboot. Its annoying, but I am living with it. I have read and gotten much advice, and about the only thing I have not done that fixed another user's same problem was RMA the board.

On a side note just for the fun of it, I have an Abit BH6 running a Celeron 300A @450mhz, that I have had about 13 or more years sitting out in the garage on a bench with Win 98 installed. I can't even remember all the hardware in it, but if it I went out and plugged it in right now, I am pretty sure it would boot and run perfectly, always has in the past. They don't build'em like that anymore, Abit boards were probably some of the best motherboards I ever had the pleasure of working with.

Thanks for that. It was a fresh install for sure, and I am looking into the firmware update you mentioned. If there is one for my drive, I will get it, install it, and then do another fresh install of Win 7.

And don't forget, people always put negative comment to complaint out of frustration if the product is not of expectation, but they don't always leave comment if the product works perfectly as expectation because consumer always expect their product to work.

Simple psychology.

TRENDING THREADS