Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Evga x58

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 12, 2010 8:40:17 PM

i just brought an evga x58 mobo, Creative Labs SB X-FI sound card, and GeForce GTX 470 video card. My problem is, if i install the GTX 470 in the PCI-E x16 primary slot, it covers my PCI-Ex1 slot and i cannot install my sound card. So can i install my GTX 470 in the PCI-E x16 secondary slot with out loosing anything or having any problems??

More about : evga x58

a c 412 Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 11:28:05 PM

You should have no problems switching the graphics card to one of the other x16 slots. I'm wondering why you can't switch the sound card to another slot, though.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 11:32:34 PM

This information might be in the m/b manual or you could fire off a email to evga OR go in to their forums. You might get a definitive answer.
It usually depends on the flexibility of the bios. One board might do this fine, another , might not.
Install it this way and check gpu-z for your answer.

This answer hit me after I typed the above.
http://askville.amazon.com/pcie-x1-card-work-x16-slot/A...
Quote:
You can install a pci-e x1 card in one of your lower 2.0 x16 or x8 slots if there is nothing else in them.

To summarize for you - as long as the slot has more lanes than the card you want to install in it, it'll work.



So, you can put a x1, x4, x8 or x16 card into a x16 slot. The reverse it NOT true - you cannot put an x8 card into a x1 slot, for example.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 12, 2010 11:48:08 PM

17seconds said:
You should have no problems switching the graphics card to one of the other x16 slots. I'm wondering why you can't switch the sound card to another slot, though.


cuz PCIx1 is a lot smaller than x16 slots...... heres a link to the card im going to recieve http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
m
0
l
a c 412 Î Nvidia
October 13, 2010 12:14:08 AM

Like Notty mentioned, you can put an x1 card into any size PCIe slot. As long as it fits, then it should work. The size of the lanes is literally the size of the slot, so a smaller x1 card will fit in the x16 slot, but will only fill some of the lanes. I also wonder if you have another x1 or x8 slot not so close to your primary x16 graphics card slot.
m
0
l
October 13, 2010 1:26:07 AM

17seconds said:
Like Notty mentioned, you can put an x1 card into any size PCIe slot. As long as it fits, then it should work. The size of the lanes is literally the size of the slot, so a smaller x1 card will fit in the x16 slot, but will only fill some of the lanes. I also wonder if you have another x1 or x8 slot not so close to your primary x16 graphics card slot.


i just have 1 x1 slot and 3 x 16 slots, but if the x1 actually fits in the x16 then i shouldnt have a problem.......... i hope lol
heres my
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=132-GT-E76...
m
0
l
a c 412 Î Nvidia
October 13, 2010 1:33:08 AM

Yeah, you're good with one of those lower x8 slots. Good luck!
m
0
l
October 13, 2010 1:41:04 AM

17seconds said:
Yeah, you're good with one of those lower x8 slots. Good luck!


thanks very much!!
m
0
l
!