PCI-E Power cable loose, experiencing Video Hardware Errors

daga2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
I built a new machine a while ago. Everyone went pretty smooth except for one oddity. The 6 pin pci-e cable that powers my 5770 is loose and wont fit in properly. I can still run the card and everything but it cable is so loose that im scared to even nudge my case. It actually has come out of the port on a few occasions basically sending my gpu to 100% fan speed and turning off the display.

Im not sure what the problem is. Is the pcie cable just suppose to be that way? could it be a problem with the molding of the cable or the port on the gpu?

Also one other huge concern is that im getting frequent video hardware errors in windows. Sometimes when im playing a game, the screen will go blank, and ill have to wait until it goes back to video. The error log produced is a video hardware error (livekernel event 1033) Im wondering if that loose power cable could have anything at all to do with these errors. Maybe because the cable is loose the psu cant supply enough power? Ive also experienced a BSOD that was caused by atikmdag.sys (another related video hardware issue.)

I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out here. I'm actually considering sending the card back to diamond for RMA.

My system specs are as follows:

Coolermaster Storm Scout
OCZ 500w Power Supply
Gigabyte p55m-ud2
Intel core i7-860
4gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
Diamond ati 5770
500gb seagate hard drive

Thanks.