Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Most power for my buck

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Power
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 5, 2011 8:35:24 AM

So I have a budget of around $300 - $400 for CPU + MoBo.

I want the most processing power I can get. I'll mostly be multitasking, No gaming. If anything big, some 3D modeling.

Anyways can I get some advice on the CPU MoBo Combo?

Options so far.... (i'm open to other suggestions)

Phenom II X6 1090T
Phenom II X6 1055T
Phenom II X4 840
Phenom II X4 955 BE
Phenom II X4 970 BE

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
ASRock M3A770DE
GIGABYTE GA-790XT AMD 790X

i5 2500
i5 2500K
i7 - 2600
i7 - 2600k

P67 or H67

More about : power buck

a c 915 à CPUs
March 5, 2011 10:55:25 AM

This is hard to answer! If it was just a performance question it would be easy!
Here is 2500K compared to 1090T http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=288
2500K compared to 2600K http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287
No question the performance goes to the Intel CPU's
Which chipset is going to be based on are you getting a K CPU for overclocking, are you going to be using the built in HD graphics?
Building a X6 1090T system would though be cheaper and the only board that you list that I would buy today is the M488TD-V EVO since it has USB3 and SATA6GB.
m
0
l
a c 124 à CPUs
March 5, 2011 12:37:05 PM

rolli59 said:
This is hard to answer! If it was just a performance question it would be easy!
Here is 2500K compared to 1090T http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=288
2500K compared to 2600K http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287
No question the performance goes to the Intel CPU's
Which chipset is going to be based on are you getting a K CPU for overclocking, are you going to be using the built in HD graphics?
Building a X6 1090T system would though be cheaper and the only board that you list that I would buy today is the M488TD-V EVO since it has USB3 and SATA6GB.


Fail :lol: 

(sorry -- I'm tired of Anand's craptastic benching and nVidia/Intel fanboy hype & headlines :D  )

A hex-core 1090T with an ASRock 890GM Pro3 R2.0. If yah don't like that one, wait a few weeks for another 'black-socket' motherboard from another OEM.

edit --- sorry, forgot this:

m
0
l
Related resources
a c 915 à CPUs
March 5, 2011 12:44:44 PM

Wisecracker said:
Fail :lol: 

(sorry -- I'm tired of Anand's craptastic benching and nVidia/Intel fanboy hype & headlines :D  )

A hex-core 1090T with an ASRock 890GM Pro3 R2.0. If yah don't like that one, wait a few weeks for another 'black-socket' motherboard from another OEM.

edit --- sorry, forgot this:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/C/274944/original/3ds%20Max%202010.png

So obviously the I7 2600K is better than 1100T!
(typed on AMD based computer)
m
0
l
a c 124 à CPUs
March 5, 2011 1:01:47 PM

rolli59 said:
So obviously the I7 2600K is better than 1100T!
(typed on AMD based computer)


I think the SBs are great -- it's a shame I'll never be able to afford one (new, anyway - LOL).

It's interesting that the 1100T (being all of 100MHz faster that the 1090TBE) runs with the i-2500k & i-2600k. 3D modeling is simply where AMD and Intel are highly competitive. The $190 price point wins my dollar (that is -- if I had any!).

I understand the new SBs are great over-clockers, but the EO 'BE' Thubans ain't no slackers in that department, either. And if the OP finds himself a 'black socket' motherboard (in the next month or so [:jaydeejohn:5] ) he should have a really nice upgrade path.
m
0
l
March 5, 2011 3:43:39 PM

would I be making any kind of mistake if I went with the i5 2500K and a "black socket" MoBO?

Also how much is that MoBo going to cost? and why are they so hard to find?
m
0
l
a c 915 à CPUs
March 5, 2011 3:50:58 PM

jake24a said:
would I be making any kind of mistake if I went with the i5 2500K and a "black socket" MoBO?

Also how much is that MoBo going to cost? and why are they so hard to find?

He is referring to an AMD board with the socket.
There is nothing wrong with going with a 2500K and a P67 or H67 board, I would prefer P67 with the K CPU.
m
0
l
March 5, 2011 3:53:26 PM

Ok it seems really hard to find a good p67 in stock right now. I like gigabyte and all their board are tough to get a hold of. Am i just being blind?
m
0
l
a c 915 à CPUs
March 5, 2011 3:58:56 PM

You are not blind the boards, with revised chipset, are rolling into retail now after their recall. There will be more options next week than there is now (the ones there only showed up this week)
m
0
l
March 5, 2011 4:20:33 PM

Ok cool so here's what i'm looking at


Processor: i5 2500K
Mother Board: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1333
Power Supply: Cooler Master 500W
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
DVD Drive: ASUS Black 24X
HDD: Samsung 1TB 7200
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 80GB

I don't care about my GPU right now, i'll figure that out later.

Any suggestions on what you see here?
m
0
l
a c 915 à CPUs
March 5, 2011 4:33:12 PM

I would stay away from Cooler Master PSU's since they are hit and miss in quality. Look for brand names like Antec, Corsair, Seasonic and Enermax for the 500 watt size range.
m
0
l
March 5, 2011 4:39:05 PM

ok great thanks for the help!
m
0
l
a c 252 à CPUs
March 5, 2011 9:57:33 PM

The newegg combo for the Asus P8P67 pro and i5-2500k was $390

RAM - $40 is better than $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case - Tho I often recommend and build w/ the 922, the 912 just doesn't cut it. The 300 is a better case / deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler Master PSU's are not a direction I'd go. Best buy right now are the XFX models . Huge rebates make them more attractive that lower wattage models:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The Vertex 2 doesn't come in an 80 GB, grab the 90 if ya not gonna wait till Vertex 3's. The 120 GB ones have capacity issues.

And when ya get to the PSU, start looking w/ the 560 Ti's

$240 - ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti w/ Free JC2 + Mafia II coupon
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_asus_gtx...

Quote:
The performance was good right out of the box with both of these cards and when it came time to overclock them, I was able to hit over 1GHz on the GF114 cores of both cards and well over 1150MHz on the GDDR5 memory. These bumps in performance from overclocking were not just small bumps, but significant jumps in performance, allowing the GTX 560 Ti from NVIDIA and ASUS to wipe the floor with the HD 6870, its direct competitor. Either AMD has some price drops coming soon or it will be conceding the $250 price point to the performance of the GTX 560 Ti.
m
0
l
!