Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 how to remove volume in the middle of the screen

Last response: in Windows 7
November 18, 2011 6:11:50 PM

Hello,
is it possible to disable the volume that pops in the middle of the screen whenever i mute my pc, because when i'm playing a game with "fullscreen" and i mute, it exits(doesnt close the game just alt tabs) the game to the desktop thingy.
a c 352 $ Windows 7
November 18, 2011 6:20:10 PM

Uninstall the utility to do that, it usually comes with laptops, name for it will vary.
m
l
November 18, 2011 6:24:14 PM

hmm so any ideas how i could know what that utility is called
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2011 6:31:59 PM

You may also be able to just turn off the on-screen display for volume changes in the software the hang-the-9 is referring to. What model/brand of computer are you using? The software is going to be different depending on what type of machine you are using.

Please don't triple post either, it makes it difficult to follow threads and help you.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2011 6:34:33 PM

Can you give us a snapshot/screenshot of what your talking about?

And what do you mean when you "Game with fullscreen and I mute, it exits". If your playing a game and you mute it via the windows taskbar, you are obviously alt tabbing.

Or do you mean muting via some Function button (Fn+ +-) something like that?

You neeed to be more specific.
m
l
November 18, 2011 6:35:58 PM

tomatthe said:
You may also be able to just turn off the on-screen display for volume changes in the software the hang-the-9 is referring to. What model/brand of computer are you using? The software is going to be different depending on what type of machine you are using.

Please don't triple post either, it makes it difficult to follow threads and help you.

mhmm yep i want to turn off the on-screen display could u tell me how thanks.
m
l
November 18, 2011 6:44:01 PM

Chainzsaw said:

And what do you mean when you "Game with fullscreen and I mute, it exits". If your playing a game and you mute it via the windows taskbar, you are obviously alt tabbing.

hmm what i mean is that when i have something on fullscreen and i push the mute button on my keyboard it exits the full-screen just to show that volume in the middle of the screen, what i want is to disable it so that when i hit mute i dont exit full-screen
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2011 7:06:59 PM

As someone else stated - please list your complete system specs/ Name of your laptop/model as well.
m
l
November 18, 2011 7:07:06 PM

that feature on my pc came with my logitech mouse & keyboard. since you are using a keyboard function look for a utility from that brand. The easiest way is just type the brand of your keyboard in the Win 7 start menu search bar.
m
l
November 18, 2011 7:14:54 PM

I just wanna disable the on-screen volume for windows 7 >.<
HP Pavilion Elite,model: HPE-430me
The main system specs are:
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz
2x 4GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 230 with 1.5GB memory
2TB SATA 3 (7,200rpm) HDD
DVD burner with LightScribe
15-in-1 memory card reader
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n (in addition to 1000 Gigabit LAN)
460W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
m
l
November 18, 2011 7:19:42 PM

the only windows 7 volume related feature is the little task bar icon in the (typically) bottom right corner.

You keep saying the middle of the screen. If the notification is in the middle of the screen that means it was added by a 3rd party application.

Either look for a HP related program, or a program related to your keyboard (since that has the mute button on it).
m
l
November 18, 2011 7:21:58 PM

As others have stated, this is not a Windows 7 feature. It's a third-party program.

Many laptops come with a similar on-screen display feature among the bundled / pre-installed software.

I did a quick google search for your computer and found this: https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c0...

That document will walk you through how to uninstall unwanted programs. The one you're describing is listed as 'OSD' in the bottom section.
m
l
November 18, 2011 7:27:11 PM

hmm well i got a screenshot of what i mean but could u tell me how can i post it here ?
m
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
November 18, 2011 8:21:53 PM

I looked up the driver downloads for that PC, it's a desktop not a laptop. And could not find a download for it that looks like the one to turn this on/off, usually it's a set of computer utilities that enable onscreen display, but none of the downloads I see for this model sound like the right thing.

You may want to check with HP support http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&cc=us...
m
l
November 19, 2011 2:43:45 PM

Again, it is not a Windows 7 feature. It is a add-on program.

Unless someone happens to have that same program, no one is going to be able to give you step-by-step instructions. If you use your eyes and look through the control panel and start menu on your PC, you should either find controls for your keybard (like mine is a logitech), or maybe something labeled OSD, or possibly some other controls. Poke around until you find it.
m
l
December 3, 2011 12:33:37 PM

hmm i believe that it is an HP program. my friend has an HP laptop and when he mutes his laptop with a button on his keyboard, he gets the volume in the middle of the screen but, when he is running something on fullscreen (for Example: world of warcraft or windows media player) and he mutes his laptop with the mute button. his laptop wont exit fullscreen just to show that thing poping in the middle of his screen. Now how come whenever i mute with the keyboard i get alt tabbed ?
m
l
September 22, 2012 11:25:33 PM

Since none of these morons can just simply ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I will. From windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features and uninstall HP MediaSmart Smart Menu. When this has completed, restart the notebook/PC.

Not that hard of a question to answer.

Regards,

Chris
m
l
September 22, 2012 11:30:04 PM

Chainzsaw said:

Good god how hard is it to answer a simple question? And he does not need to be "more specific" I answered his question just fine, why couldn't any of you? From windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features and uninstall HP MediaSmart Smart Menu. When this has completed, restart. Also, he is NOT "alt tabbing" you obviously do not know that, when you're in a game that is fullscreen, when you raise and lower the volume with the display on (HP MediaSmart Smart Menu), it minimizes your game. Thats all he was asking to fix.
m
l
January 20, 2013 5:19:14 PM

Chainzsaw said:

I don't know how to post the screen shot here.
It isn't the regular volume controls that appear to the right of the screen.

m
l
February 3, 2013 8:26:17 AM

synax444 said:
Since none of these morons can just simply ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I will. From windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features and uninstall HP MediaSmart Smart Menu. When this has completed, restart the notebook/PC.

Regards,

Chris

Hi,

I have a similar problem but it is not HP MediaSmart, as I do not have that one. mine is a DELL machine. it is a white window in the middle of the screen looks like a volume slider. I can take a screen shot but I do not know how to post. Thanks in advance.

PP
m
l
June 21, 2013 8:50:35 AM

PPdotcom said:
synax444 said:

Regards,

Chris

Hi,

I have a similar problem but it is not HP MediaSmart, as I do not have that one. mine is a DELL machine. it is a white window in the middle of the screen looks like a volume slider. I can take a screen shot but I do not know how to post. Thanks in advance.

PP

On my Dull Latitude its the laughably named "Dell Feature Enhancement Pack" service. Kill the service using the task manager and the annoying pop-up sound icon is no more. Disable the service permanently using ccleaner or the Windows service manager.

Now all I need to figure out is how the touchpad and that useless pointstick keeps re-enabling even when the control panel says they are off...
m
l
!