My 'razer' product kicked the bucket, upgrade time!

intel1502

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hello everybody,

I've put up with my razer carcharias headset for a few months now and I am wanting to get some real high quality audio for <$120. My old razer headsets' right ear-piece stopped working after a month or two and the audio quality is lacking. I am thinking of getting the 'Creative Tacti 3D Alpha' headset (Looks VERY nice :D ), and the 'Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Value'. This comes to a total of about ~$105.
Is this sound card 'good' for an immersive PC gaming environment? Also, how much better would it be than the stock audio of the motherboard I'll be getting later this year, the 'P8P67 EVO'? On top of this, the Tacti3D headset boasts "...a mind-blowing cinematic experience." and "...for immersive 360º headphone surround..." does this mean that the headset is 7.1? Because the 35$ sound card is also 7.1 compatible.. :heink:

Thanks for your time/input,
Intel1502

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I'm in the same boat! Running the carcharias and looking at getting a sound card. What you should know is that this particular headset creates a 'virtual' surround sound, for which you don't need to get any high end Sound Card.

I myself have zeroed in on the Asus Xonar DX 7.1, which will more than serve the purpose. Be mindful that it doesn't support auto detect, i.e, when you plug in your headphones the card won't detect it itself. You'll need to change the settings from the Sound Card UI, which also takes a bit of getting used to. But for that price, its the best bang for the buck! Check it out here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006&Tpk=asus%20xonar%20dx

Stick with your onboard sound for now.. Concentrate on getting a real quality headphone.. I'll recommend the Audio Technica ATH AD 700 for it.. If however you only need audio for gaming and are more in the need of a headset instead of a headphone, check out the Creative Sound Blaster Arena.. Its an awesome head gear for gaming..