Sign in with
Your question

HP retarded laptop drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2010 3:51:30 AM

A couple months ago ATI made the Catalyst drivers work with Mobility chips, I have a ATI 5650, I installed the Catalyst drivers but when I install newer ones they don't seem to actually install.
Anyways, there seems to be no way to tell the driver version (10.4, 10.8, 10.9, etc), instead, through GPU-Z and Device Manager I can tell atiumdag version.
So, if anyone with ATI drivers can tell me a corrolation between Year.Month and atiumdag version (ex, 10.4 -> 8.421.14, 10.6 -> 8.521.15) then please post.
Also for the core, it says Madison, is that just the codename for the mobile version of Redwood?
a b \ Driver
October 13, 2010 12:06:16 PM

Use driver Sweeper and get rid of the old drivers and any trace of them, do a fresh install of the latest and give us the results
m
l
October 13, 2010 6:21:16 PM

I did that, reinstalled Cat 10.9, and all I see in Device Manager is
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2010 6:29:06 PM

Drive sweep and try an earlier version like 10.3 and 10.4
m
l
October 13, 2010 6:51:45 PM

I'm trying to install drivers but they won't.
I've tried Device Manager -> Update -> Search Automatically
Result: Problem Installing
I've tried Device Manager -> Update -> Browse -> Have Disk
Result: Problem Installing

Using the main Cat installer only installs the HDMI/DP Driver and CCC, in the Log there is no mention of even installing the Display Driver.
m
l
October 14, 2010 12:41:34 AM

Well, 5 hours of pain later, here is the horrible story.

After, the Driver Sweeper incident, I tried to install Cat 10.9, but it wouldn't install, so I rampaged through ATI's forums, turned out you need Cat Mobility.

I used Cat Mobility, successfully installed, restarted, screen's blank.
Just black, like no signal.

So I lugged by 10+ pound VGA CRT, I connect it, and the CRT has a signal.
Then after trolling around the drivers, I decide to disable Intel GMA HD, it uses the 5650 when I do that, and the Laptop's screen turns on.

Then I went into Driver Sweeper and found the backup feature, I restored the deleted crap, and it still uses the GMA HD by default and still no laptop screen.

However, if I disable the GMA HD it does seem like the Cat is 10.8 (the latest I could find for Mobility)

Then I snooped around the BIOS and nothing, finally I used system restore (the non-destructive one), and finally back to my old computer.

I'll try using Mobility again tomorrow.

Long story short, I'm getting an ASUS or Alienware next time.
m
l
a b \ Driver
October 14, 2010 6:41:54 AM

lol..... that's a cooler solution. But we usually try to make the other brands work too...
m
l
October 21, 2010 3:04:47 AM

Only the Catalyst Drivers from HP's website work, and considering how it's basically Cat with an HP kiss on it I don't understand why they have separate drivers at all.
m
l
!