Sign in with
Your question

If you could change one thing about how Graphic cards work...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2010 5:49:55 AM

Mostly with upgrading from one to the other...

*And maintaining them*

What would you change?

I would make it so the drivers would be able to be updated via windows update. So you would get alerts..

*Or via steam that works too*

I am fine with restarts..

But keeping up when drivers are updated takes work. Also I hate having to use driver sweeper. =p :lol: 
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 7:14:58 AM

Is this a joke? Both your suggestions are already in place. Windows update does have the drivers in optional list, although it might not keep as up to date as the manufacturer, it's there. ATI also has recently added their drivers to steam.

Driver sweeper is rarely needed these days, although it might save someone on the rare occation things don't go right.
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 7:29:24 AM

you dont need to update drivers at all really, unless your experiencing a problem. I have never used driver sweeper, never had to after many many driver updates. If I could change one thing, i would change all this proprietry physx crap and build it physics acceleration through gpu into directx so it can be used on all cards, even previous models. Surely it cant be that hard to do.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 7:31:33 AM

bystander said:
Is this a joke? Both your suggestions are already in place. Windows update does have the drivers in optional list, although it might not keep as up to date as the manufacturer, it's there. ATI also has recently added their drivers to steam.

Driver sweeper is rarely needed these days, although it might save someone on the rare occation things don't go right.

+1
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 12:00:12 PM

Quote:
If I could change one thing, i would change all this proprietry physx crap and build it physics acceleration through gpu into directx so it can be used on all cards, even previous models. Surely it cant be that hard to do.

To be fair, both Pixel Model 1.2 (NVIDIA) and 1.4 (ATI) were proprietary API's, and Microsoft unified them as SM2.0, so there is precident. More likely, you'll eventually see a PhysX OpenCL port, rather then an extention to the DirectX API.
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2010 12:03:46 PM

Tamz_msc said:
+1

+2, it is so simple to update drivers now a day people are less experienced in how to fix a bad driver install.
!