upgrading a Toshiba's video card

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2005 12:35:56 AM

Hello all,

Is it possible to upgrade a Toshiba Satellite laptop's video card from a
32MB GeForce4 to an ATI 128MB ?

Does it require any more skill than upgrading a standard PC's video
card?

Or do I have to send it to Toshiba to get this done?

Any info much appreciated!

--

"I hear ma train a comin'
.... hear freedom comin"

Stimp wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is it possible to upgrade a Toshiba Satellite laptop's video card
> from a 32MB GeForce4 to an ATI 128MB ?
>
> Does it require any more skill than upgrading a standard PC's video
> card?
>
> Or do I have to send it to Toshiba to get this done?
>
> Any info much appreciated!

There is little possibility of doing this. In the first place, there is
no aftermarket in laptop video cards; these are only sold by both nVidia
and ATI into the OEM mainboard market. Secondly, it is the rare laptop
that has a GPU/VRAM that is not soldered to the mainboard. Your only
viable option, IMO, is to acquire a compatible mainboard that has an
upgraded video adapter; it is remotely possible that Toshiba might sell
one to you at whatever inflated cost, but eBay would be the best bet.
Note that there are other considerations that make direct replacement of
the video card impractical: additional cooling, additional power
requirement, etc.

This is one of the main reasons that some laptop users are moving to
small form factor (barebones) systems.

a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2005 11:48:58 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 Quaoar <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
> Stimp wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Is it possible to upgrade a Toshiba Satellite laptop's video card
>> from a 32MB GeForce4 to an ATI 128MB ?
>>
>> Does it require any more skill than upgrading a standard PC's video
>> card?
>>
>> Or do I have to send it to Toshiba to get this done?
>>
>> Any info much appreciated!
>
> There is little possibility of doing this. In the first place, there is
> no aftermarket in laptop video cards; these are only sold by both nVidia
> and ATI into the OEM mainboard market. Secondly, it is the rare laptop
> that has a GPU/VRAM that is not soldered to the mainboard. Your only
> viable option, IMO, is to acquire a compatible mainboard that has an
> upgraded video adapter; it is remotely possible that Toshiba might sell
> one to you at whatever inflated cost, but eBay would be the best bet.
> Note that there are other considerations that make direct replacement of
> the video card impractical: additional cooling, additional power
> requirement, etc.
>
> This is one of the main reasons that some laptop users are moving to
> small form factor (barebones) systems.

alas.. I'll leave it for the moment and upgrade when I get a new system.

Thanks for the advice.
--

"I hear ma train a comin'
.... hear freedom comin"