Wireless access point with multiple user groups

Wafip

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Hello, I would like to be able to set up a wireless access point with multiple user groups. What I mean by this is that I need some users to be able to enter a password and gain access to the internet, and internal network (other computers, server, and such) while other users will be able to gain access to the internet(only) without using a password.
I have searched the internet, and multiple WAP manuals looking for such functionality with no luck. I am not even sure what it would be called.

So, my question is, is there a WAP and/or firmware that will give me such functionality in my network?

Solution
The best, albeit probably not the cheapest route is to use Cisco access points. I know the 1240 series AP's allow you to have multiple SSID's and they can be bound to different VLAN's if your facility has the 802.3q VLAN capable switching / routing. The AP's can be found pretty cheap on EBay so long as you aren't looking for a 5GHz model. One site which explains the configuration I found: http://networking-newbie.blogspot.com/2008/11/configuring-cisco-aironet-in-home-lab.html

Best of luck

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I have seen this function before on a router, it was called Guess something, like guess pass or something. I was awhile ago, so i don't remember, i think it was a cheep Blink router my friend bought at target or something
But you can do this with another way. You will need two routers with wireless capabilities.
I am not sure how your network is setup. I am assuming a standard house hold where it is internet router of some sort, then your internal network.
Ok first router 1 this is going to be your "public" network router, your are going to plug your internet in to this one WAN port, and then plug router 2 WAN ports in to one of routers 1 normal ports. Then add security or what every so only the people/devices your want to have access to router 2's wireless. and plug the rest of the network in to router 2.
Router 2 will see router 1 and what ever is connected to it as the internet. and keep it blocked from the rest of the network.
I am sure there is a lot better solution for this, but i am not that good with networking yet. :(.
I know there are virtual networks, and based on your MAC address puts you on to what network your belong, that might work to.

Wafip

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

Thank you for the reply, but I am constructing this network for a small business with multiple buildings. Some of the buildings need to have public and private network access, and I am trying to avoid using multiple access points or routers at every building.

djbracket

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
The best, albeit probably not the cheapest route is to use Cisco access points. I know the 1240 series AP's allow you to have multiple SSID's and they can be bound to different VLAN's if your facility has the 802.3q VLAN capable switching / routing. The AP's can be found pretty cheap on EBay so long as you aren't looking for a 5GHz model. One site which explains the configuration I found: http://networking-newbie.blogspot.com/2008/11/configuring-cisco-aironet-in-home-lab.html

Best of luck

Solution

Wafip

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

Thank you, that helps.

alexsian

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
i know you've already found one answer, but i thought you should know that the pepwave officepoint can do the same, for much less than the aironet.

(note: i am a marketing consultant for pepwave & peplink)