Using pirat-batterys in Olypus E-300

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 20, 2005 2:46:21 AM

14 days ago i bought a "Olympus E-300" kit , this kit include:

1 Olympus e-300 Cam.house
1 Olympus \ Zuiok Lense (14-45mm)
1 Olympus Li-ion Battery charcer: BCM-2
1 Olympus Li-ion Battery: PS-BLM-1
....and some other stuff.

The topic here is the battery and the battery charcer.

The orginal battery and charcer works ok and according to
the manual\spec's in all aspects.
( 5h charce [LED=constant red] and then LED goes green)

I have also bought a "3.party pirat battery" for my Oly' E-300 :

"Power2000, ACD-228 OLYMPUS PS-BLM1"
( 1/2 price of an orginal)

My charcer don't like this pirat-battery !
( 15minuts charce and LED goes BLIKING red, [never reach 'green'] )
Olympus manual says :
Blinking red LED= "Error (timeout , temperature error)"

To me it looks like
the charcer is able to find out that the battery i put in is NOT
an orginal Olympus battery ! :-(

Have anybody else done the same expirience ?
(whit 3.party bat's)

reg
A.P.

Btw : This all makes me sick and tired :-(( Printer-ink-cartridge
contains inteligens (cpu's and rom's) in order to dissable it if u
refill it !!! And now , a battery is not just a battery anymore !!
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:46:22 AM

I am not by my camera so I can't check model numbers, but I have a very
recent Oly C8080 which I think uses the same battery. And the clone I
bought on ebay woks just fine (different brand to yours). Although it
doesn't have quite the life of the Oly original. I would suspect your
battery has a very different charging curve characteristic to the
original - eg it may draw too much or too little current, and the
charger thinks it is faulty.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:46:22 AM

"A.P." <nobody@telenor.invalid> wrote in message
> 14 days ago i bought a "Olympus E-300" kit , this kit include:
>
> 1 Olympus e-300 Cam.house
> 1 Olympus \ Zuiok Lense (14-45mm)
> 1 Olympus Li-ion Battery charcer: BCM-2
> 1 Olympus Li-ion Battery: PS-BLM-1
> ...and some other stuff.
>
> The topic here is the battery and the battery charcer.
>
> The orginal battery and charcer works ok and according to
> the manual\spec's in all aspects.
> ( 5h charce [LED=constant red] and then LED goes green)
>
> I have also bought a "3.party pirat battery" for my Oly' E-300 :
>
> "Power2000, ACD-228 OLYMPUS PS-BLM1"
> ( 1/2 price of an orginal)
>
> My charcer don't like this pirat-battery !
> ( 15minuts charce and LED goes BLIKING red, [never reach 'green'] )
> Olympus manual says :
> Blinking red LED= "Error (timeout , temperature error)"
>
> To me it looks like
> the charcer is able to find out that the battery i put in is NOT
> an orginal Olympus battery ! :-(
>
> Have anybody else done the same expirience ?
> (whit 3.party bat's)
>
> reg
> A.P.
>
> Btw : This all makes me sick and tired :-(( Printer-ink-cartridge
> contains inteligens (cpu's and rom's) in order to dissable it if u
> refill it !!! And now , a battery is not just a battery anymore !!

I would be tempted to try charging it several times before giving up on it.
You have nothing to lose.
Related resources
January 20, 2005 2:46:22 AM

A.P.

I have an 8080 that uses the same battery and has the same charger as
your e-300. I bought a couple new Chinese made batteries from a vendor
on eBay for $5.95 each and they work just fine.

A.P. wrote:

> 14 days ago i bought a "Olympus E-300" kit , this kit include:
>
> 1 Olympus e-300 Cam.house
> 1 Olympus \ Zuiok Lense (14-45mm)
> 1 Olympus Li-ion Battery charcer: BCM-2
> 1 Olympus Li-ion Battery: PS-BLM-1
> ...and some other stuff.
>
> The topic here is the battery and the battery charcer.
>
> The orginal battery and charcer works ok and according to
> the manual\spec's in all aspects.
> ( 5h charce [LED=constant red] and then LED goes green)
>
> I have also bought a "3.party pirat battery" for my Oly' E-300 :

Just curious, why? The battery with this camera seems like overkill, I've
shot for several days filling up multiple 1 gig cards on the same charge..
One night in this series of days I forgot to turn it off and it was in
sleep mode for at least 12 hours as well.

> Btw : This all makes me sick and tired :-(( Printer-ink-cartridge
> contains inteligens (cpu's and rom's) in order to dissable it if u
> refill it !!!

I assume you're talking about epson? They sell a zapper so you can actually
use the ink you paid for. And yes it's total BS the "print head is damaged
if it runs out of ink" line epson claims, my sister did this on a C84, ran
all three colors and then the black out and it still prints fine once it
was refilled.. The do this so you HAVE to replace the ink when it's half
empty and so you can't refill them.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> I am not by my camera so I can't check model numbers, but I have a very
> recent Oly C8080 which I think uses the same battery. And the clone I
> bought on ebay woks just fine (different brand to yours). Although it
> doesn't have quite the life of the Oly original. I would suspect your
> battery has a very different charging curve characteristic to the
> original - eg it may draw too much or too little current, and the
> charger thinks it is faulty.

Hmmm... Yea , that makes sense .
I think i'll make a "stupid" charger for this damed battery,
letting it have _1500mAh X 1.4_ and then manulaly dissconnect it.

I refuse to buy the POWER2000 charger for this bat' !!! :-(

Thanx Chrlz.

A.P.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:33:53 AM

A.P. wrote:
> <chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am not by my camera so I can't check model numbers, but I have a very
>>recent Oly C8080 which I think uses the same battery. And the clone I
>>bought on ebay woks just fine (different brand to yours). Although it
>>doesn't have quite the life of the Oly original. I would suspect your
>>battery has a very different charging curve characteristic to the
>>original - eg it may draw too much or too little current, and the
>>charger thinks it is faulty.
>>

> Hmmm... Yea , that makes sense .
> I think i'll make a "stupid" charger for this damed battery,
> letting it have _1500mAh X 1.4_ and then manulaly dissconnect it.
>
> I refuse to buy the POWER2000 charger for this bat' !!! :-(
>
> Thanx Chrlz.
>
> A.P.

Hi...

Were it mine, I'd much sooner have it charged over
perhaps 8 or 12 hours... if for no other reason than
if you should happen to forget to turn it off it will
be far less likely to cook itself to death.

Just my .02 cents.

Ken
January 20, 2005 7:18:08 AM

"A.P." <nobody@telenor.invalid> wrote in news:41eee557$1@news.broadpark.no:

> I have also bought a "3.party pirat battery" for my Oly' E-300 :
>
> "Power2000, ACD-228 OLYMPUS PS-BLM1"
> ( 1/2 price of an orginal)
>
> My charcer don't like this pirat-battery !
> ( 15minuts charce and LED goes BLIKING red, [never reach 'green'] )
> Olympus manual says :
> Blinking red LED= "Error (timeout , temperature error)"
>
> To me it looks like
> the charcer is able to find out that the battery i put in is NOT
> an orginal Olympus battery ! :-(

I use Power 2000 batteries with my Canon camera, they work fine in my Canon
charger, but I prefer to use the Lenmar charger that I bought. My Lenmar
charger charges the battery in about an hour and the battery is barely
warm, the battery then runs for a long time (I have taken 2080 photos in 5
hours on 2 batteries, and they still had power left).

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)

In article <41eee557$1@news.broadpark.no>, A.P. says...
> 14 days ago i bought a "Olympus E-300" kit , this kit include:
>
> 1 Olympus e-300 Cam.house
> 1 Olympus \ Zuiok Lense (14-45mm)
> 1 Olympus Li-ion Battery charcer: BCM-2
> 1 Olympus Li-ion Battery: PS-BLM-1
> ...and some other stuff.
>
> The topic here is the battery and the battery charcer.
>
> The orginal battery and charcer works ok and according to
> the manual\spec's in all aspects.
> ( 5h charce [LED=constant red] and then LED goes green)
>
> I have also bought a "3.party pirat battery" for my Oly' E-300 :
>
> "Power2000, ACD-228 OLYMPUS PS-BLM1"
> ( 1/2 price of an orginal)
>
> My charcer don't like this pirat-battery !
> ( 15minuts charce and LED goes BLIKING red, [never reach 'green'] )
> Olympus manual says :
> Blinking red LED= "Error (timeout , temperature error)"
>
> To me it looks like
> the charcer is able to find out that the battery i put in is NOT
> an orginal Olympus battery ! :-(
>
> Have anybody else done the same expirience ?
> (whit 3.party bat's)

I've had no problems with cheap 3rd party BLM-1 batteries from a Hong
Kong seller:
http://myolympus.org/E300/index.html#BLM-1

It could be that the 3rd party BLM-1 battery you bought is defective.
--

Alfred Molon
January 20, 2005 11:34:42 AM

My $5.95 eBays have worked beautifully with with my Oly 5060. Hundreds
of shots. However, the main issue to me is not the inherent quality or
capacity of these batteries, but their service lives. A year or two from
now it will be very important to know when batteries were
manufacturered, because they start to die the moment they come off the
line and probably have a life of 2-3 years, though maybe earlier...maybe
shorter. In the future I would only buy one with a two year warranty.

A.P. wrote:
> 14 days ago i bought a "Olympus E-300" kit , this kit include:
>
> 1 Olympus e-300 Cam.house
> 1 Olympus \ Zuiok Lense (14-45mm)
> 1 Olympus Li-ion Battery charcer: BCM-2
> 1 Olympus Li-ion Battery: PS-BLM-1
> ...and some other stuff.
>
> The topic here is the battery and the battery charcer.
>
> The orginal battery and charcer works ok and according to
> the manual\spec's in all aspects.
> ( 5h charce [LED=constant red] and then LED goes green)
>
> I have also bought a "3.party pirat battery" for my Oly' E-300 :
>
> "Power2000, ACD-228 OLYMPUS PS-BLM1"
> ( 1/2 price of an orginal)
>
> My charcer don't like this pirat-battery !
> ( 15minuts charce and LED goes BLIKING red, [never reach 'green'] )
> Olympus manual says :
> Blinking red LED= "Error (timeout , temperature error)"
>
> To me it looks like
> the charcer is able to find out that the battery i put in is NOT
> an orginal Olympus battery ! :-(
>
> Have anybody else done the same expirience ?
> (whit 3.party bat's)
>
> reg
> A.P.
>
> Btw : This all makes me sick and tired :-(( Printer-ink-cartridge
> contains inteligens (cpu's and rom's) in order to dissable it if u
> refill it !!! And now , a battery is not just a battery anymore !!

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:19:54 PM

> Just curious, why? The battery with this camera seems like overkill, I've
> shot for several days filling up multiple 1 gig cards on the same charge..
> One night in this series of days I forgot to turn it off and it was in
> sleep mode for at least 12 hours as well.

I take alot pics underground (caves & mines ) , it is cold
underground -5 to +5deg C. The batterys & cam gets cold
(bat.meter in cam not relieable then. A 1/2 full bat can show up "empty")
Behind each pic i bring home there may be 6 exposes (whit flash
and flash-focus-assist-light and lots of playback to check WB & focus)
I just need to be safe. It is too stupid to run out of power when 3ppl
have used 10h to decend 500' down into a mine :-) Such stupid ppl's
quikly becomes unpopular and may not be invited on the jurney ;-)
Going on a trip like this is like puting in effort worht 100 of $.

My first charge whit the Oly' bat gave me 300 shoots including
MUCH playback and MUCH playing around in the menys.

A.P.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:22:31 PM

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> A.P. wrote:
> > <chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I am not by my camera so I can't check model numbers, but I have a very
> >>recent Oly C8080 which I think uses the same battery. And the clone I
> >>bought on ebay woks just fine (different brand to yours). Although it
> >>doesn't have quite the life of the Oly original. I would suspect your
> >>battery has a very different charging curve characteristic to the
> >>original - eg it may draw too much or too little current, and the
> >>charger thinks it is faulty.
> >>

> > Hmmm... Yea , that makes sense .
> > I think i'll make a "stupid" charger for this damed battery,
> > letting it have _1500mAh X 1.4_ and then manulaly dissconnect it.
> >
> > I refuse to buy the POWER2000 charger for this bat' !!! :-(
> >
> > Thanx Chrlz.
> >
> > A.P.
>

> Hi...
>
> Were it mine, I'd much sooner have it charged over
> perhaps 8 or 12 hours... if for no other reason than
> if you should happen to forget to turn it off it will
> be far less likely to cook itself to death.
>
> Just my .02 cents.
>
> Ken

Yep, your right Ken. a 150mA x 12h charging settup is the best.
I'll try that.

A.P.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:29:08 PM

A.P. wrote:
> I take alot pics underground (caves & mines ) , it is cold
> underground -5 to +5deg C. The batterys & cam gets cold

When I'm shooting in cold weather I hang the camera on a strap around
my neck and slip it inside my coat against my body. That way it stays
warm until I need to shoot something. Then I pull it out, turn it on,
shoot, and turn it off and put it back. That's probably a good thing
to do in a cave anyway to protect the camera from dirt and bumps.
Alan
January 20, 2005 10:28:49 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:34:42 -0500, Ron <rgood@netzero.com> wrote:

>My $5.95 eBays have worked beautifully with with my Oly 5060. Hundreds
>of shots. However, the main issue to me is not the inherent quality or
>capacity of these batteries, but their service lives. A year or two from
>now it will be very important to know when batteries were
>manufacturered, because they start to die the moment they come off the
>line and probably have a life of 2-3 years, though maybe earlier...maybe
>shorter. In the future I would only buy one with a two year warranty.

But then again, in my case the batteries for my Minolta A200 were £11
inc postage for 2 as opposed to £40 for one genuine minolta.

For the money I can buy 6 of them, (assuming I can still get them) and
even if they only last a year I can buy 3 years worth for the cost of
one genuine one.
January 20, 2005 11:03:43 PM

A.P. wrote:

>> Just curious, why? The battery with this camera seems like overkill, I've
>> shot for several days filling up multiple 1 gig cards on the same
>> charge.. One night in this series of days I forgot to turn it off and it
>> was in sleep mode for at least 12 hours as well.
>>

> I take alot pics underground (caves & mines ) , it is cold
> underground -5 to +5deg C.

Sounds like reasonable reasons, was just wondering.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

"A.P." <nobody@telenor.invalid> wrote > I think i'll make a "stupid"
charger for this damed battery,
> letting it have _1500mAh X 1.4_ and then manulaly dissconnect it.
>
> I refuse to buy the POWER2000 charger for this bat' !!! :-(
>
> Thanx Chrlz.
>
> A.P.

Be very, very careful charging your Li-ion battery by any other means than a
dedicated Li-ion charger... Li-ions, unlike Nicads and to a lesser extent
Ni-Mh don't like being charged too fast and will not like a higher than
spec. voltage across them.

Nicads and Ni-Mh cells are normally charged using a constant current with
either a timed or a peak detect cutoff. Lithium cells on the other hand must
be charged with a (current limited) constant voltage charger... the charging
regimes are totally different.

I've seen the effects of charging lithiums incorrectly... the cells can and
do explode/burst into flames. Burning Lithiums supply both the fuel and the
oxygen needed for combustion.

Beware...

--
Philip Rawson

www.flymodels.co.uk
www.aeromodeller.org
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:32:22 PM

"Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> A.P. wrote:
> > I take alot pics underground (caves & mines ) , it is cold
> > underground -5 to +5deg C. The batterys & cam gets cold
>
> When I'm shooting in cold weather I hang the camera on a strap around
> my neck and slip it inside my coat against my body. That way it stays
> warm until I need to shoot something. Then I pull it out, turn it on,
> shoot, and turn it off and put it back. That's probably a good thing
> to do in a cave anyway to protect the camera from dirt and bumps.
> Alan

Yea that may work if your cam is waterproof
(or you are able to hold the cam-temp high all the time).
I did this once whit a cheap "Pretec" cam , it got all clouded up inside
(not possible to clean the lenses).
I think the cam already was too cold
I have not tried this yet whit my Oly' E-300.

A.P.
!