What to upgrade/should I upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Here are my current specs:

E6600 @2.8GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM(Really only 3 due to 32-bit OS)
500GB HDD
4870 512MB Version
OCZ 500W PSU

Now I have been thinking if I was to upgrade, where would I even start? I really would like a quad core, but with my current mobo the only option I would have is a Core 2 Quad (which I've heard are not truly quad cores and they seem priced a bit high). Otherwise I would have to get a whole new mobo, which I was thinking I could get an AM3 one along with an AMD Quad core for $250-300. But if I upgrade to a quad core I also feel like my GPU will be bottle-necking the quad. And if I just upgraded my GPU now it would be bottle-necked by my CPU, correct? There's also the DDR2 RAM. What would you guys recommend doing at this point? I would hope I wont have to get a whole new system. The games I play are WoW, BC2, and in the future Crysis 2 and BF3.

HD4870 still has reasonable performance. Your CPU could overclock a little but all in all you got a balanced system.
To do a gradual upgrade with a quad and reuse the HD4870 is fine. Your CPU can handle a more powerful card, you can reduce bottleneck by overclocking to 3+GHz.
I personally would start though planning a new build either with LGA1155 or bulldozer which is supposed to release the next quarter. If budget is an issue then the HD4870 still has life left in it and can be upgraded at a later date.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Thank you for the reply. It's OC'ed now from 2.4 to 2.8, but I honestly don't even know if I did it right. If I remember correctly I just upped the multiplier a little I think, and under load it currently gets to about 56C. From what I've heard, C2D's can get to about 65C safely. Is that correct? I just don't know if I feel comfortable OC more, I'm afraid I'll damage something. Is bulldozer going to use the AM3 socket? Or a whole new one? Maybe I should just OC the CPU a bit more for now, buy a better GPU, and then get a new mobo and CPU once bulldozer hits.

Bulldozer is going to be AM3+ the boards can use AM3 CPU's but not you will not be able to use AM3+ CPU in AM3 board. You could always buy a good aftermarket cooler to help you with the overclock, most of them are universal and work both platforms, if you go for a better card. The cooler can be carried over to the new build.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Okay. I have no idea which coolers are good. How hard are they to install? It doesn't involve re-installing the cpu does it? How much would I have to spend for a decent one? I believe I have an aftermarket one now, but it like has now fans it's on of those where its just supposed to disperse the heat away. And is there any info on how much an AM3+ board and Bulldozer Quad Core will cost?

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I did add a fan to it, but its just set up so you hang a case fan underneath and it blows the air towards the top of case, which right now is fail because my top case fan is like dead. Its actually very similar to the one you linked. Perhaps I should add a 2nd fan to it and replace my top case fan. My resolution is 1680x1050.

Status
Not open for further replies.