Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade advice

Last response: in Components
March 5, 2011 2:47:25 PM

Hi

I apologise if this is in the wrong category.

I wanted a little advice on general upgrading. My system is fairly modest - in fact, I'd say there are probably kids doing their homework these days on beefier rigs tbh - but I can't afford a new gaming system unfortunately. I could afford to upgrade a bit though if it was worthwhile.

At present, I have an E7200 core duo (2.53ghz x 2), a 9800 gt 512mb card and three mgbs of RAM. I can't remember the speed of the RAM, but it was decent stuff bought from Crucial (and it has those flashing lights on the side, so it must be good!).

Not a whole lot, I know, but by keeping the system optimised I'm able to do fairly well. I can play Dragon Age on max and Rift on high settings (with a little FPS drop-off in busy areas).

I could afford to upgrade some if it was worthwhile, but I don't know where to spend money. I was hoping someone might have an idea. My board can't take any more RAM and I'm on XP 32bit. I just need a little more performance for now and I'm keen to avoid the whole hassle of a new board etc.. Would a bigger card with more on-board RAM make any difference, for eg?

Any advice much appreciated folks....

More about : upgrade advice

a c 668 ) Power supply
March 5, 2011 2:58:48 PM

I personally would upgrade the GPU to a gtx460 1 GB or HD6850, to get the biggest benefit out of that upgrade would require a monitor resolution of 1680x1050 minimum.
March 7, 2011 6:42:01 AM

Thanks Rolli, this card has been suggested to me before. I take it that it's compatible with my fairly basic m/board - P5 KPL VM - from Asus?
a c 668 ) Power supply
March 7, 2011 11:33:09 AM

Just make sure that the card you buy is not PCIe version 2.1 since there have been some issues on older boards. Card PCIe version 2.0 will work fine on your board.
!