Sign in with
Your question

Wont boot, no beeps.

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2010 12:06:28 PM

I was playing a game, when my 6 month old homebuilt PC stopped outputting video, the video card fans got real loud.
So i shut it down manually, now it wont boot back up, no beeps or anything, no video output to the monitor.

Put a different video card in, still no video and wont boot.

The computer does turn on, lights and fans work, just sits there idol.

MB-Gigabyte GA-P55A 1156
CPU- Intel i-5 750
GPU- XFX Radeon 5850

Any ideas someone?

More about : wont boot beeps

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 12:16:41 PM

If you have access to other RAM sticks known to work fine, replace your current ones with those to see if it boots.

Failing this, do the same with the CPU.
m
l
December 8, 2010 1:03:29 PM

I'll see if i can find some RAM to try, don't have a spare CPU to try.

I've now noticed the CPU fan turns just a little when i turn the power on, and then stops, maybe because it's not booting up?

The other fans come on and work fine.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 1:09:23 PM

It might be worth taking it into a shop as they will have access to spare CPU's, otherwise you could ask a friend who has a working LGA 1156 chip or buy a new one if you have that cash to spare...
m
l
December 8, 2010 1:28:37 PM

Sounds like a CPU issue to you?
I've never had one go out on me before, i guess it's cheaper than the video card.
m
l
December 8, 2010 7:51:09 PM

Would anybody recommend taking the heat sink off, and touching the CPU as you turn the power on?
If it gets hot the CPU must be working, the computer has worked like charm since day one, kinda weird just to all of a sudden do this.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 11:16:49 PM

Before you do that, try this:

1. Disconnect the heatsink fan from the header on the mobo.
2. Remove any one of your case fans and also disconnect it from the mobo.
3. Take removed fan, install it on your heatsink fan header. Turn on power.

Does the case fan spin? If so, then get a new heatsink fan. If not, then that header could be dead. If this is the problem, you can buy a splitter cable to connect multiple fans to one header. Doing so will likely give you false temp readings.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 11:52:17 PM

This sort of problem is often due to a faulty power supply. Substitution is the best test. It can be difficult to find the cause of this type of problem unless you have spares so a trip down to your local repair shop might be a good idea.
m
l
December 9, 2010 12:19:13 AM

T_T said:
Before you do that, try this:

1. Disconnect the heatsink fan from the header on the mobo.
2. Remove any one of your case fans and also disconnect it from the mobo.
3. Take removed fan, install it on your heatsink fan header. Turn on power.

Does the case fan spin? If so, then get a new heatsink fan. If not, then that header could be dead. If this is the problem, you can buy a splitter cable to connect multiple fans to one header. Doing so will likely give you false temp readings.
I disconnected the heatsink fan and connected one of the case fans to the CPU fan header, and the fan started turning, so Ive got a faulty CPU fan?
Would my CPU burn up if the fan went out?
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2010 6:43:10 AM

Work through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If not, continue.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case once you are finished.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence or long single beeps indicate a problem with the memory.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.
At this point, if the system doesn't work, it's either the video card or an inadequate PSU. Or rarely - the motherboard's PCIe interface.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2010 6:20:00 PM

ROLLbama said:
I disconnected the heatsink fan and connected one of the case fans to the CPU fan header, and the fan started turning, so Ive got a faulty CPU fan?
Would my CPU burn up if the fan went out?

Double check your hypothesis by installing the questionably defective CPU fan on to one of the case fan headers. If the CPU fan fails to spin (properly), then replace it. As far as burning the CPU, I doubt you damaged it. The CPU is designed to shut down if it reaches its thermal threshold. W/o the heatsink fan to pull the hot air away, the CPU will overheat nearly instantly, which is why it shut down. However, even if the CPU does turn out to be damaged, you've still got warranty on it. Send an RMA request to Intel, they'll probably send you a new heatsink fan.
m
l
!