Your question

5850 CF problem (CF aint working)

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 9:29:57 AM

I just bought an XFX 5850 BE to use together with my Powercolor 5850 in CF.

I have all monitors (running eyefinity) connected to the XFX card, the CF bridge is in place and i have Crossfire box checked in CCC.
After starting Dirt2 i didnt see the performance boost i was thinking i would get so i checked the "show CF sign" thingie that u can find when u rightclick the CCC button (the thing that should make a CF sign when u start a game that supports CF)

my problem is now that i dont get that sign when i start Dirt2 so i dont think my CF is working :o 

i can see both cards in CCC overdrive so the computer finds both cards atleast.

Can you guys give some tips on what i can do to test this further too see if its really working or not?

Computer specs:
CPU: i5 750 @ 3.5Ghz (stock volt)
MB: P7P55D-EVO
RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz A-data
CPU: Corsair TX-650

//Fredrik

More about : 5850 problem aint working

October 13, 2010 9:34:21 AM

Did you tried the other games as well?
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 9:40:08 AM

I dont have that many games tbh and for the time being only playing WoW and Dirt2. But what i know dirt2 should work with CF.
Related resources
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 9:44:25 AM

Could it be coz i have a BE card thats not manually underclocked?? Ive been told that it should be automaticly underclocked to match the worst card.
Should also note that im using CCC 10.9

Sry for doublepost but it didnt let me edit my other post ^^
October 13, 2010 10:01:33 AM

Well, what result did you get on dirt2? how much fps did you got?
Also, in CCC, does the CF tab is enabled?
Or you can download GPU-Z and see there whether your CF config is function or not...
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 10:11:04 AM

in d2 i get about 30-40 FPS on medium with AA off if i remember right (im in school right now so can check more exact when i get home)
Note that this is with 6000x1080 resolution

The CF box is checked in CCC yes.

Will check GPUZ when i get home, only have CPUZ installed :p 

EDIT:
Ive downloaded GPUZ now and it says CF is enabled so i guess its working after all.. Will just have to learn to play with that low FPS then :p 

Ty for ur help wa1
October 13, 2010 3:09:05 PM

That should not be the case (the low FPS) I have 3 x 5850's and the frame rates go up with every card enabled. you have something else going on here. I worked on a machine that had something similar happening, I moved the CF bridge from the first position, to the second set of connector fingers and it solved it...don't ask me why.

secondly, try setting your core speed and mem speed to identical settings and see if anything changes. Dirt 2 does respond well to crossfire.

Thirdly, check the info tab on CCC and see if the second card is listed as 'linked adapter' or 'disabled adapter'
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 3:14:30 PM

I now lowered the XFX card to 725/1000 (same as the powercolor one)

The other card is marked as Linked Adapter.

Gonna check if just lowering the clock solved it :) 
October 13, 2010 3:19:40 PM

just a thought here, but have you re-installed the drivers since you added the second 5850? you really should. the driver install tends to marry the configuration that was present when they are installed.
October 13, 2010 3:21:18 PM

1) Download MSI Afterburner and open it. It will show you GPU usage.
2) Download FurMark. Run the multi GPU exe and watch GPU usage.
3) Make certain that Catalyst AI is set to Standard or Advanced. If off, CF will not work.
4) Different clocks definitely should not affect it working.
October 13, 2010 3:40:18 PM

"4) Different clocks definitely should not affect it working. "

True, but I have seen CCC object to two different brands of cards set at different mem speeds. or, it was just a big coincidence that it started working when they were adjusted to the same speed. no idea if it was the different bios versions it didn't like or not.
again, if you have not reinstalled the drivers since adding the second card...you should.
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 3:42:15 PM

@Red1776 - I even reinstalled the whole computer due to having some problems with reinstalling the drivers. It installed everything except the drivers.
After reinstalling windows it worked fine.

@wolfram23 - I did what u said and using 1920x1080 8x AA i got a score of 1828. FPS min=25 Max=47 Avg=31 (Furmark version 1.8.2)
Both CPUs went up to 100% in MSI Afterburner
October 13, 2010 3:42:18 PM

You need to d/l the crossfire application profiles, they are separate from every driver release.
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex...

In sli the clocks don't adjust to each other, but the lower clocked card runs at 100% and the load of the higher clocked card adjusts proportionally.
So I click synchronize clocks for like gpu's in msi afterburner and o/c to the same #
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 3:45:02 PM

notty22 said:
You need to d/l the crossfire application profiles, they are separate from every driver release.
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex...

In sli the clocks don't adjust to each other, but the lower clocked card runs at 100% and the load of the higher clocked card adjusts proportionally.
So I click synchronize clocks for like gpu's in msi afterburner and o/c to the same #

that might be it :)  didnt know there was seperate profiles. gonna try it out :) 

EDIT:
Installed the profiles but didnt get any difference in furmark.
gonna try start up Dirt 2 also.
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 3:57:36 PM

Awesome! now im up to 55 FPS in dirt 2 :D  12-15 FPS increase :) 
October 13, 2010 3:59:39 PM

Crank up the settings, you get faster fps at times when you force the gpu's to work harder.
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 4:25:34 PM

awesome, thanks alot guys.

55~ FPS (except when i get shitloads of water on the windshield) at high with 2x AA :) 

Nice upgrade from 40 on medium and 0x AA :p 
October 13, 2010 6:02:54 PM

Not bad but you can definitely get more out of them. My 5850s with a little OC run the Dirt 2 benchmark at 80fps average on Ultra with 8xMSAA so... you can get them going even more I should think.
October 13, 2010 6:03:56 PM

I think your performance should be a little better than that.
Do you have the game patched ?
Are your 5850's in the 8x 8x slots ?
Nvidia cards run faster in this game, I avg near 90 on ultra 8xaa
edit: lol at the same time as above :) 
The game crashes when I select 16x and freezes and the screen melts , lol.
I then have to manually change the game config to fix.
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 6:10:47 PM

@Wolfram23
hmm.. as soon as i switch to 4x MSAA i drop down to 40~ FPS (on High settings)
Should maybe try to OC a bit, havnt had that good experience with OC with multiple monitors tho. But then its also since 10.1 i think it was when i OCed a bit and got screen flickers on my secondary monitor (were only running 2 monitors at the time)

@Notty22
Since im running the game through Steam it should patch automaticly shouldnt it? not that used to steam.
And yes the cards are in the 8x slots.

But u guys have to see that i also run in 6000x1080 resolution so its pretty big ^^ (3x 22" in eyefinity)

EDIT: overclocked a bit in CCC now and see how it works.
October 13, 2010 6:12:22 PM

Ok, your running eyefinity. Then those are probably good numbers. I can't compare, I'm at 1920x1080 single monitor.
October 13, 2010 6:39:18 PM

Ohh yeah hah that's 3x the screen as me as well. So in that case, I'd say you're doing pretty good. IMO try OCing to at least 825/1180 (you can probably do 850/1200 or even higher at stock voltage) and see how much that affects it.
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 6:43:12 PM

hehe :p  thought ur numbers were pretty extreme ;) 

Working on alot of stuff on the computer atm (due to the new WoW patch) so i will try OC a bit more later tonight.

How do i unlock the sliders in ATI Overdrive? what i can remember i could go alot higher before.

EDIT: Checkced in MSI Afterburner and i can only go to 775/1125 there also :/  Guess its my BIOS blocking it?
October 13, 2010 9:31:26 PM

In ATI Overdrive, just unlock it (the lock icon). Then in MSI Afterburner, first open it's config file and change "allow unofficial overclocking = " from 0 to 1. Then you can OC away. Just make sure you don't have the settings in MSI set to OC both cards together, as that can cause freezes. Just do each individually. It's more tedious but it's just my experience that with the option to do both checked, I had a lot of issues.
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 9:42:02 PM

wolfram23 said:
In ATI Overdrive, just unlock it (the lock icon). Then in MSI Afterburner, first open it's config file and change "allow unofficial overclocking = " from 0 to 1. Then you can OC away. Just make sure you don't have the settings in MSI set to OC both cards together, as that can cause freezes. Just do each individually. It's more tedious but it's just my experience that with the option to do both checked, I had a lot of issues.

Aight, will do this tomorrow morning :) 
What is the highest temperature i should aim to reach after running furmark? and how long should i run furmark to know its stable?
As u probably notice its my first time OCing a graphics card :p 
October 13, 2010 9:46:44 PM

I don't run extreme burning for long at all, there is no reason to.
Run it in benchmark mode , add a couple 0's to the time so it goes a while. Start prime 95 at the same time if you want. If it does not crash after 10-15 minutes its not going to crash in normal gaming.
I have run cyrsis timedemo's in a loop for over a hour as well to test.
Anonymous
October 13, 2010 10:03:58 PM

okey, so i guess 80C would be around highest temp i should go for a 24/7 clock?
noticed it didnt really work that good to have the fans set to automatic. even at 775/1125 both cards went up to 75-76 degrees after 2 mins on furmark. gonna try and see if the fans are gonna speed up more automaticly when i get higher or if im gonna have to put the speed manually.
October 13, 2010 11:39:10 PM

I just wanted to add one more possible issue. If you are testing in windowed mode, crossfire will not function.
October 14, 2010 3:19:49 AM

IMO set 2 profiles in afterburner. The first is the default clocks and the second is your OC. Load up the OC profile for gaming, but if you're just in windows or playing less demanding games keep it on stock profile. This way, you cards will still downclock at idle. When OCed, they downclock a lot higher than normal.

Alternatively you could BIOS flash them with the OC but that's not a beginner step... just letting you know it's a possibility and will let the cards think that their OC setting is normal so they downclock properly at idle.
Anonymous
October 14, 2010 9:48:33 AM

@wolfram23
okey that makes sense, 2 profiles it is :) 

Gonna start my PC now and see how much i can get them up. tried a 840/1150 last night just to see if it wanted to stay there. didnt take many seconds until i got BSOD :p  so guess i will have to go easy on them and take it bit by bit :) 

Anonymous
October 14, 2010 12:13:00 PM

this is weird as hell :S

I changed the unofficial overclocking in the CFG and that works fine.
Turned off the synchronised clocking in the options.

But as soon as i try overclocking (750/1100) everything freezes and after about 1 min the computer reboots.
i then thought it might help if i changed it to synchronised again, so just to try it i went to turn that on again and as soon as i click the box i get BSOD.

Tried reinstalling MSI Afterburner but same thing happends.

And also, changing the fan speeds in MSI Afterburner aint working either. no matter how much i turn it up it stands at 20% for card 1 and 0-5% on card 2. but that should be easily fixed by changing it in CCC.

Anything im missing here?
October 14, 2010 1:09:19 PM

When I used to overclock with a ati card and msi AB, I would have ccc unlocked but no changes at all made to anything. fan speeds either. Let msi ab do everything.
Also you would want the synchronized box checked, but make sure that under the profiles tab, there is nothing assigned for both
2d profile
3d profile
Are you using msi ab 2.0 ?

Nvidia cards (460) downclock/downvolt normally when o/c in 2d
Anonymous
October 14, 2010 2:00:43 PM

Yes im using MSI AB 2.0.
Nothing on either 2D or 3D profile.

Gonna try set the sync box again then. hopefully i dont get BSOD again now ^^

EDIT: Still geting BSOD. gonna try reinstalling MSI AB and see if it fixes it. the sync box was checked in the start so it should work. i unchecked it since wolfram23 said he had experienced issues with freezes with it on.

But lets give it another try! :) 

EDIT2: reinstalled MSI AB and got the sync box checked now. tried to just make it 725/1100 (from 725/1000. worked good in 775/1125 before) and now it all froze :S that clock should even be within the "official" clock. Donno what has happened since it worked b4 i enabled Unofficial clocks.
October 14, 2010 2:29:36 PM

I just put together a new system yesterday with dual 5850s.

I just ran the Dirt2 benchmark and with all settings maxed the average was 52 FPS @1920x1200 with v sync on.

I have GPUZ running on my 2nd monitor and I didn't see the linked adapter get used at all, but in Vantage it gets used 100%.

Not sure exactly what's going on there, but I also find it strange that I can't get Dirt2 to run full screen.
Anonymous
October 14, 2010 2:32:02 PM

just press alt+enter and u will get it into fullscreen :) 

and 52 FPS at that resolution aint too good. u didnt do same as i did and didnt install the CF profiles?
October 14, 2010 2:38:05 PM

Well, I'm using the Asus drivers which are 10.8, and when I downloaded the profiles they showed as 10.9a, so I wasn't sure if they would work (seems they would though).

I'll try again with v synch off.
October 14, 2010 2:48:24 PM

Ok, that's better.

Going full screen caused the 2nd adapter to function in the game... Isn't it funny how we sometimes forget the "simple" solutions? I was looking all over for the "windowed" or "full screen" option in the graphics menu...

All settings on high:

v sync on: avg-->61.6, min-->58.7
v sync off: avg-->107, min-->89.5

I prefer v sync on to eliminate the tearing effect though.
Anonymous
October 14, 2010 2:56:36 PM

haha no i didnt wolfram23 xD ah i feel so stupid now ^^ gonna try it out again soon :p 
October 14, 2010 2:58:14 PM

Had to edit my last post as I was only on "high", not "ultra".

Ultra results are 3 FPS lower, 104.3 avg and 86.8 min.
Anonymous
October 14, 2010 3:03:59 PM

Still not working :/  made it 800/1100 and also tried a 775/1125 (official max clock) and got instant Freeze then BSOD.

Had Sync box checked now and overdrive turned off (but unlocked).
Gonna give it a try without sync on but i doubt it will help ^^

EDIT: Still get a freeze + BSOD when i turn sync off and try a 775/1125 clock.
October 14, 2010 3:51:37 PM

With sync off, you just select which card your going to manipulate.
Try just o/c one card at a time, maybe one of them is fussy ?
If you can't get them to o/c to the same speed it won't be effective, in the end.
The driver attempts to load balance, so o/c one without the other will not net any fps gain. Thats what I've noticed with sli anyways.
October 14, 2010 4:21:44 PM

Actually I did find with CF it does help to have one with higher clocks. I accidentally OCed the master card without OCing the 2nd one and the FPS went up. I noticed what I did and OCed the 2nd card to the same clocks, and the FPS went up a bit more. But that was doing FurMark tests, so maybe in gaming it'll be different I'm not sure.

I'm also wondering if the card just doesn't like OCing. Potentially a BIOS flash will be needed to OC anyway.
Anonymous
October 14, 2010 4:29:44 PM

Well i i had it on 775/1125 running all night last night. and now it just dont want too when i use MSI AB. when i put 775/1125 in CCC it works.

to me it sounds like its some conflict between MSI AB and CCC or something when i have unofficial clocks turned on. gonna go and try set 775/1125 when i have unofficial clocks turned off right after im done eating :) 
October 14, 2010 4:36:12 PM

I know slI and crossfire go about their business differently. Why I said with sli, I have no way to test crossfire. I have msi ab, have OSD of the two gpu's and % load.
What will happen is the lower clocked card will show 100% or near and the second card will be 83%, the higher clocked card.
Anonymous
October 14, 2010 6:13:23 PM

Aight, turned off Unofficial overclocking and now it works. running 775/1125 without a problem :S

i have no idea whats causing this :/  so i guess i have to settle with having this clock ^^
October 14, 2010 6:16:13 PM

How are you supplying power to your cards ?
Your psu has 2- 6+2 pci-e connectors correct ?
Are both 6 pin connectors in one card, and the other card all molex to pci-e connector ?
Anonymous
October 14, 2010 6:21:47 PM

Correct, 2x pci-e in my powercolor card and 2x pci-e to molex in my XFX card.
October 14, 2010 6:44:50 PM

I would use one real pci-e connector in each card.
NOT use all molex in one card.
I needed 4 connections myself from two. I bought two Y cables. So I did not have to use any molex.
Anonymous
October 14, 2010 6:56:28 PM

aight. ill change that after im done playing dirt 2 :p 

Wouldnt it be better to use 2x molex to pcie rather than using Y cables? atm im not using the Molex to anything else than the graphic card and 4 fans so pretty much only the graphic card since the fans dont take that much to power up.

to make it more clear how ive done it, 2x molex per pcie adapter. so ive taken 2x molex from 1 cable to power one of the adapters and 2x molex from the second cable to power the second adapter

if u use Y cables on the other hand u take all power to both cards from one cable.

To me it feels like using molex is better but im just speculating :p  not that into how the PSUs are built up tbh.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!