HUGE problem

Jmin01

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
hey guys,

today I was working on my computer build and I have the Gigabyte ga-z68-ud2h-b3 plugged in to my HAF922. It also had a cpu cooler 212, and and 8 gb of ram in. I didn't have everything plugged in yet and my brother tried to start it up. This cause a quick spark and some smoke to come out of the mobo. Is my motherboard completely fried, and is my ram/i5 2500k/cpu cooler alright? what should I do? Can i return the broken parts to amazon?

Also the psi was a OCZ ZS 750w psi

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
RMA with little bit of lie i guess.
Because does status test and fried main board is user fault.
However so far not only the main board problem.
Some case CPU, memory, so on... all device that plug into main board are damaged.
Even if you get a replace main board place tested all devices.
I hope rest of all your hardware are ok...
Main board must need RMA or replace.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
So...that's you're story and your stickin' to it???
Highly unlikely your brother's intervention had anything to do with it. The way the plug and sockets are designed is to minimize any possibility of short circuiting. Maybe it was just bad luck with the MoBo.
I myself would plug everything in and turn it on. But that's me.
You can RMA if you feel uncomfortable with the integrity of the MB.
You should have your butt kicked into the next county for working inside the case with the power cord plugged in.

Jmin01

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

but if i pplugged it in and something was wrong with the mobo would it damage the pther parts?

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
It should not have sparked at all, even if you didn't have everything plugged in. That should not have made a difference what so ever.

Does your psu still work?
What did you have your psu plugged into, only the motherboard?
Did you properly install the stand off screws?

Jmin01

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

I had it plugged into the mono and the fans. I had all the standoffs in, and I am not sure how to tell if my psi doesn't work anymore

You motherboard will not spark, smoke, or do anything remotely like what you described no matter when you plug it in or turn it on at anytime during the build. What you are describing is a either a major, major fault with the board, or you had something shorted to the board (like a screw was left laying on it, or the board is grounded somewhere it is not supposed to be grounded from mounting incorrectly) when it was turned on. It was a bad call to have it connected to power until you were ready to test power-on for the first time, that was a huge mistake.