Advise of buying a new gamer case

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Guys, im choosing my new case, i had 3 in mind, the Haf X, and the Silverstones Raven RV02B-W and RV02B-EW which is better between the both Silverstones ? and up to how many fans could i upgrade in each one of the 3 cases ?

tecmo34

Administrator
If I was going to rank the cases I would rank them in the order you have them. The RV02B-BW is the better case IMO. The EW has an reinforced plastic shell, which to me is a reason not to get it.

However, at those price ranges I would look at Corsiar 650D, which in my opinion is the better overall case.

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Isn't that a micro case ? oh, what differences had between a full tower a medium tower an a micro cases ?

tecmo34

Administrator
Full Size Case: 20.20" x 8.40" x 22.90"

Medium Size Case: 18.40" x 8.10" x 19.40"

Micro Size Case: 15.70" x 11.00" x 10.80"

It is bascially the size of the case and the size the motherboard that will fit within the case. You look at the number of expansion slots, room for hard drives, etc.

tecmo34

Administrator
if you were buying a case today rather back when when you got the Antec, would you've picked the Antec or would you go for a newer case release? I know I would pick the Antec.
It is tough to say... I've enjoyed my Antec 1200 case but if I would buy today, I most likely wouldn't. I would be more incline to get the Silverstone RV02B-W or Corsiar 650D. They are my choices for a new case. Also, I like the Antec DF-35 or HAF 922.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
If you don't care about looks and just want performance i'd go with the HAF-X it also looks good for a gamer case..It's a good case for Watercooling or Air cooling. Also im not sure if Alluminum cases run cooler but if it does i'd recommend getting the Coolermaster ATCS 840 or LIAN LI PC-P50WB both are under $199.99 for alluminum cases..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112253

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119187&Tpk=coolermaster%20840

I personally have a alluminum lian-li case and for some reason when i touch the inside or even the top of the case it feels colder then my other cases that's steal and plastic.

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

That CM looks good, it would be perfect if someone makes a review comparing the Haf X the Ravens the CM ATCS, the Sniper the Phantom and the Maelstrom but i don't really think im lucky enough :pfff:

Uther39

Distinguished
IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IN SHORT, BUY THE ANTEC 1200, its amazing and SUB ZERO.

The HAF-X is a great case, as is the 1200. But the 1200's successor is the DF-85 and it includes a load of features, most not in the 1200. Among these are:

a) Inlet air filters on the 1200 take about 8 minutes to remove,clean and replace ..... on the DF-85, it takes 8 seconds.
b) DF-85 has "Fleet swap" storage drive bays that allow you to install / remove / replace HD's and SSD's w/o messing with any cables or even opening the case.
c) It has a hot swappable external drive bay allowing you to move large amounts of data or make backups and store off site.
d) Hole in MoBo tray allows easy mounting of aftermarket coolers
e) Cable routing is superb.
f) Built in speed control on all fans
g) Ability to install CPX form factor PSU's (This is huge as the CP-85 provides unsurpassed electrical and acoustical performance far cheaper than anything else.

They one feature one might find inconvenient is the lockable drive bars. Intended to prevent anyone from removing a drive or CD by locking access, it might be annoying having to open the latch every time you wanna swap CD's.

Personally, I like the more sedate looks of the 1200 but the features of the DF-85 are hard to ignore.