Does xp support i5

sahilcool2012

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
what is the better option for i family processors, xp or win 7. does xp is work better on i family processors or not. what is the best for gaming. pls tell about this.

tecmo34

Administrator
1) XP will work on the Intel i family processors.

2) Which is better really depends on how old of games you are playing. If you are playing any current released games, I would go with Windows 7 64-Bit OS for 64-bit and DX11 (XP's 64-bit version was very buggy and had bad support). If you are playing old games only, they were code for XP and will run a little better on XP over Windows & (though 7 can play them in compatibility mode).

In the end, I really see no reason not to go with Windows 7 64-bit system on any new built system.

1. Win XP will work with any Intel CPU.

2. Win XP is extremely stable because it has existed since 2001. Does it work better than Win 7? Maybe... it uses less resources which means lower system requirements, but Win XP can only recognize 3.25GB - 3.5GB of system RAM. More than enough for most people. Win 7's limit is 16GB of RAM I think. Security is better in Win 7. There are too many things to list especially if playing games is your primary concern.

3. Win XP only supports up to DirectX9. Win 7 supports up to DirectX11. If you want the best eyecandy then you want Win 7, but more eyecandy also means lower performance since it does take processing power. DirectX9 support is starting to get dropped. Just Cause 2 and BatteField 3 do not support DirectX9, therefore you cannot play those games using Win XP.