Corsair TX850w
Asus Crosshair IV
Phenom II 1100T
Corsair XMS3 2x2gb 1600mhz
Radeon 6970 2gb
Corsair SF 60gb SSD
Samsung 1TB
Samsung DVD-RW

So, I put the rig together and for 1 week it ran perfectly, lots of hours gaming, rock solid.
Shutdown 1 night, got up the next morning, went to power up, nothing but power light.
Opened it up, CPU_LED flashing on the mobo.
RMA'd the mobo after discussion with vendor, they receive, test send back as ok.
RMA'd the CPU, they test, dead!

So they send me a new CPU. THis RMA process is slooow (UK company to remain unnamed for now!)

Re-built the rig today, went to power up, POST with Republic of Gamers logo on screen, then dead, nothing. CPU_LED flashing again on Mobo.

Rig has been very carefully put together. Memory has been tested in another machine as has the vid card. Mobo been tested and returned to me.

So looks like its killed another CPU, but maybe its the PSU doing the dirty work!?!

Very frustrated, and now will have to send back mobo, cpu and PSU in same RMA to see what they can find.

Anyone had a similar prob with a similar rig?

£1000 of PC that I cant use and is dead is annoying as hell...

Thanks
Vinny
March 5, 2011 5:44:54 PM

I would agree that if this has happened twice and it's still fried up, it could be a rampant PSU.

Could it be BIOS settings overvolting the CPU? Have you performed any overclocks?

EDIT: Idk how to really test a PSU but I'm guessing there's a of sources out there, I'd try to test that asap and other board members should chime in shortly.
March 5, 2011 5:46:25 PM

I would have thought the mobo would have blown first tho?

The PSU is a Corsair TX 850w

The multiplier was set 100mhz more to take it to 3.5ghz per core, that was it!!
March 5, 2011 5:46:31 PM

Not sure about the cpu but i've heard of people having problems with that motherboard. Here's a video of the guy having to mod the motherboard because of the northbridge heatsink not making good contact. Not sure if that could be the problem but you might wanna check it out. Foward the video to about 6:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrUEyVTeAFM&feature=fvsr

March 5, 2011 5:50:07 PM

Ah im well aware of that problem with an older revision that was sorted on mine, temps were low, sub 20c from recollection. CPU temps were very low, 14-15c idle!!

March 5, 2011 7:44:08 PM

Well that sucks. Well have you worked out what it is yet?
a c 127 à CPUs
March 5, 2011 9:29:11 PM

hcstnfrd said:
I would agree that if this has happened twice and it's still fried up, it could be a rampant PSU.

Could it be BIOS settings overvolting the CPU? Have you performed any overclocks?

EDIT: Idk how to really test a PSU but I'm guessing there's a of sources out there, I'd try to test that asap and other board members should chime in shortly.

There are PSU testers out there to test the voltages but honestly, Corsair PSUs are one of the top end so I doubt its the PSU.

Mobo might be bad. Have you tried a BIOS update?
March 6, 2011 7:11:50 AM

I agree with Dadiggle. You mention you've had problems with a prior version of this motherboard so get rid of it. Don't just accept good brand names will always be OK.
March 6, 2011 10:26:29 AM

I havent had a previous version of this mobo, but I read the earlier revisions had problems. I have had problems in the past with Asus and Gigabyte and was apprehensive about another, but it got great reviews!

Anyway, update : This morning I try power up, only the mobo, cpu, cpu cooler, 1 stick RAM and PSU are conneted, and it goes past the CPU Led on POST!!
Just do not get it. Will connect the drives back up and put the vid card in again and see what happens.

Somethign is flakey though, so I have no confidence in this build.

!